Smoked chicken on the WSM and brine.

Jim Strickland

TVWBB Fan
My kids really want me to start brining my splayed chcken before l smoke them. I’ve never really seen the need but l have on occasion brined. l’m open to change but what reason to must brine am l missing?

Pros of Brining:
  • Enhances the flavor of meat
  • Helps retain moisture during cooking
  • Provides a temperature cushion during cooking—if you happen to overcook the meat a little, it will still be moist

Cons of Brining:
  • Some dislike changes in meat texture
  • Moisture content can seem artificially high
  • Brining large cuts like whole turkey in refrigerator or ice chest can be inconvenient

http://virtualweberbullet.com/brining.html

You should try brining and see how you like it.

You should also try salting a chicken. It offers many of the benefits of brining, but without the changes in meat texture and high moisture content. Pat chicken dry, sprinkle inside and out with kosher salt and black pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 12-48 hours. Pat dry again and cook in your smoker a usual.

You should also try salting a chicken. It offers many of the benefits of brining, but without the changes in meat texture and high moisture content. Pat chicken dry, sprinkle inside and out with kosher salt and black pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 12-48 hours. Pat dry again and cook in your smoker a usual.

Would you rinse the chicken after the 12-48 hour salt infusion? I've done beef (chuck roasts) that way - without rinsing - and they usually come out too salty.

Would you rinse the chicken after the 12-48 hour salt infusion? I've done beef (chuck roasts) that way - without rinsing - and they usually come out too salty.

Hey Chad, I'm no expert, but I think you may be using too much salt. My understanding with dry brining (or salting), is you use X amount per lb of meat and let it be absorbed. If i recall correctly, a rule of thumb is 1/4 tsp per lb of meat. There shouldn't be any need to rinse with a dry brine, only rinse when using a wet brine. Hope that helps!

There is a technique on "HotsmokeBBQ.com" for a vinegar bath which makes some sense too. I have marked my kettle per his suggestions and it helps for pretty easy control.
Now, I'm thinking a nice spatchcocked bird for the upcoming weekend festivities! This place is hard on a diet!

Hey Chad, I'm no expert, but I think you may be using too much salt. My understanding with dry brining (or salting), is you use X amount per lb of meat and let it be absorbed. If i recall correctly, a rule of thumb is 1/4 tsp per lb of meat. There shouldn't be any need to rinse with a dry brine, only rinse when using a wet brine. Hope that helps!
Huh, I have never worried about how much salt I use, I pretty much pour it on, but I DO rinse and dry before cooking.

Huh, I have never worried about how much salt I use, I pretty much pour it on, but I DO rinse and dry before cooking.
I'm too much of a control freak to try that method, but if it ain't broke . . . you know the rest :)

I can dig it. I also don't use salt in my rub, so any extra I may have on the meat isn't made worse with a high salt rub.

Pros of Brining:
  • Enhances the flavor of meat
  • Helps retain moisture during cooking
  • Provides a temperature cushion during cooking—if you happen to overcook the meat a little, it will still be moist

Cons of Brining:
  • Some dislike changes in meat texture
  • Moisture content can seem artificially high
  • Brining large cuts like whole turkey in refrigerator or ice chest can be inconvenient

http://virtualweberbullet.com/brining.html

You should try brining and see how you like it.

I brined and smoked 2 chickens today. I should have been doing it along time ago while smoking. Thank you Chris, you were spot on with the advice.

Last edited:
Frustrated---Brined and smoked 7 chicken breasts [boneless/skinless] but could not get them done! Smoked at about 275 Degrees for almost 2 hours. Internal temp could only reach about 145.

What the heck is wrong?

If you know your thermometer's good then you need to trust it. If they were at only 145 after 2 hours then my first thought is that they just needed more time.

Back