Smoke ring

TPurdy

I can't get a smoke ring on my WSM to save my life. I use the Harry Soo method and nothing. What could I be doing wrong? I smoke in the 250 degree range and use plenty of wood chunks, not store bought wood, wood that I cut up into chunks at time of cook. Wood is seasoned and stored off the ground in my garage.

Maybe something on this Link will help.
I've gotten decent smoke rings using no wood at all, but have no clue as to how or why.

Thanks. I have read that before. It doesn't matter if I spritz, use water in the pan, cold meat on early, nothing gives me one.

I've never got a pronounced one. I've decided it's not a big deal. the times I have gotten one is if I've slathered the meat with say mustard or some other liquid before putting it on.

TPurdy... sorry that my post from earlier caused this ruckus... but I am convinced it is the humidity in the smoker. And I would think in Lexington, you should be ahead of the game rather than not. When I smoke meat in the winter here in Minnesota, and there is NO humidity in the air, the smoke ring is not nearly as pronounced. Yesterday, temps were in the high 70's low 80s and 60% humidity. I filled the wrapped water pan with a 2qt pitcher of hot water, and spritzed the brisket every hour with ACV. I don't "KNOW" this... but I have wondered if less rub is better when it comes to the formation of "THE RING". The meat was also cold when I put it on the WSM... probably in the 40 degree range.

13697175_1405508502799033_7372976953963471545_n.jpg

I think humidity has some bearing, but I never use water in the pan, never spritz or slather with anything before applying rub.
Here's a flat smoked in low humidity in January.
I minion with Kingsford original, and I usually run the WSM between 250 and 290.

IMGP9268.JPG

Smoke rings are not really dependent on smoke! So the wood chunks aren't the big issue here. FYI - the link that Bob included in his post gives some great information about smoke rings.

My own two cents:
1. Use charcoal briquets instead of lump. Charcoal briquets give off more CO and NO, which leads to a better smoke ring. (I'm assuming you are already doing this, but thought I'd mention it.)
2. Let the WSM get up to temp for about an hour before putting the meat on. The goal is to have as much charcoal going as possible, within your temperatures.
3. Put the meat on cold, straight from the fridge.
4. Make sure the surface of the meat is moist when it goes on the smoker.

If I wanted the CO and NO to mingle with the meat's surface moisture, said surface would be devoid of oil, fat and silverskin.

Thanks guys. I normally put the meat on right away. I'll try waiting a while next time. I thought Harry said he puts his right away as well? I havent used the wsm much since I got my BKK 5000.

I think humidity has some bearing, but I never use water in the pan, never spritz or slather with anything before applying rub.
I minion with Kingsford original, and I usually run the WSM between 250 and 290.

IMGP9268.JPG

How much fat do you trim from the cap? Maybe I am leaving too much fat. I usually leave 1/4, but bark is normally mushy.

How much fat do you trim from the cap? Maybe I am leaving too much fat. I usually leave 1/4, but bark is normally mushy.
I leave maybe 1/4 inch thick on the fat side, my smoke rings are only on the lean side.
This was a flat, not a whole packer.

I've noticed a better ring if I have a good clean smoke coming out and not the thick white smoke.

You can write off the smoke ring on the fat cap side. I think Bob is on to something with the silverskin on the meat side. I'm getting better results trimming the silverskin off. I've also increase moisture in the cooker. I don't think it hurts the crust as much with a salt and pepper rub as opposed to a more powdery complex rub. I think the fatcap is necessary for the overall taste of the flat. You can probably trim it off the point. You could go down to 1/8th of an inch.

Not sure what criteria needs to be present to achieve a good smoke ring. But I smoke a 5lb rolled pork shoulder on Saturday with the following conditions:
  • Tin-can Minion method. Aussie Heat Beads briqs, buried chunks. Olive wood.
  • Meat had been in the fridge all night. (Hoisin/Sriracha glaze & SPOG).
  • As soon as the lit briqs were ready, dump a chunk of wood on the lit briqs, put the meat on & assembled the cooker straight away.
  • Billowy smoke for about 30 mins.
  • No water. Ever. No spritzing.
  • Cook temp, 255[SUP]o[/SUP]f-ish. (Catch the temp on the way up at about 220[SUP]o[/SUP]f). 9 hrs cook time.
  • 65[SUP]o[/SUP]f ambient temp.

Pre-pull cut.
Came out pretty good. Nice bark, not bad smoke ring. Pre-pull cut.

esm0l2.jpg

IMGP9268.JPG

That... Is a beautiful thing.

I have tried everything except adding chemicals to the meat chasing the smoke ring.
I see plenty of pictures of beautiful smoke rings so I know it can be done.
I gave up worrying about it after the first year and have settled on serving delicious smoky meat.

Back