Smoke it - Then Sear It

J Hasselberger

TVWBB Pro
For a Mother's Day treat, I picked up a Prime 3-pound, 3-inch bone-in Cowboy Ribeye. I've always use a kettle to reverse sear thick ribeyes, with a couple of baskets on one side, using the cool side to bring the meat up to about 110 internal, then searing it on the hot side.

This time, I used the WSM to do the low-temp portion of the cook. About an hour at 225 did the trick with a medium chunk of pecan for good luck. The steak measured a nice 110° all across. Did the sear on the kettle. The result was pretty great.

Jeff

Love the built-in handle on a Cowboy steak
Untitled by Jeff Hasselberger, on Flickr

The crust was about 1/8" thick and the rest was a nice medium rare.
3” ribeye by Jeff Hasselberger, on Flickr

Beautiful! For a real change of taste sensation on a nice piece of beef try using mesquite (not heavy very lightly) or cherry. I have done that for people and they cannot believe that all the meat is seasoned with is S&P. They swear it's more and absolutely love it. You just don't want to put (mesquite especially) smoke on so thick you actually taste it

For a Mother's Day treat, I picked up a Prime 3-pound, 3-inch bone-in Cowboy Ribeye. I've always use a kettle to reverse sear thick ribeyes, with a couple of baskets on one side, using the cool side to bring the meat up to about 110 internal, then searing it on the hot side.

This time, I used the WSM to do the low-temp portion of the cook. About an hour at 225 did the trick with a medium chunk of pecan for good luck. The steak measured a nice 110° all across. Did the sear on the kettle. The result was pretty great.

Jeff

Love the built-in handle on a Cowboy steak
Untitled by Jeff Hasselberger, on Flickr

The crust was about 1/8" thick and the rest was a nice medium rare.
3” ribeye by Jeff Hasselberger, on Flickr
That looks amazing Jeff!

That is a perfect cook right there!
Don't know why I didn't think of doing the low-temp phase on the WSM until now, but I'm never going back. It was a simple and foolproof cook. It was dry-brined with kosher salt for about 30 hours, which I'm sure helped. I read a tip from Meathead a while back that suggested resting the steak for a few minutes after the low-temp stage and then blotting off all the moisture before applying a thin coat of vegetable oil and pepper before the sear. Definitely works.

Jeff

Beautiful! For a real change of taste sensation on a nice piece of beef try using mesquite (not heavy very lightly) or cherry. I have done that for people and they cannot believe that all the meat is seasoned with is S&P. They swear it's more and absolutely love it. You just don't want to put (mesquite especially) smoke on so thick you actually taste it
I believe that I have some mesquite, so I'll try that. It was a fairly small chunk of pecan that I used for the same reason you say - a light, not thick smokiness. Incidentally, there was just enough left over to make a steak quesadilla for lunch the next day. I'm definitely doing that again!

Jeff

Don't know why I didn't think of doing the low-temp phase on the WSM until now, but I'm never going back. It was a simple and foolproof cook. It was dry-brined with kosher salt for about 30 hours, which I'm sure helped. I read a tip from Meathead a while back that suggested resting the steak for a few minutes after the low-temp stage and then blotting off all the moisture before applying a thin coat of vegetable oil and pepper before the sear. Definitely works.

Jeff
Great job! That looks fan-damn-tastic!
I do something similiar, on the kettle with the Slow n Sear and Grillgrates. I let it smoke low and slow and, while the steak rests, open the vents and get the heat to warp 10 and finish it off.

I was doing mesquite and oak for a while with beef, but pecan is my current favorite for shorter duration beef smokes like Tri Tip and steak.

I keep coming back to take a look.........and I am starving as well..........that cut pic looks so tasty.....
I have these steaks in my freezer...2 left, I don't usually smoke low n slow, usually hotter until that 110 and then incinerate it at the end.
They never look as good as yours does.......will have to try harder.

Back