Smoke it - Then Sear It

I keep coming back to take a look.........and I am starving as well..........that cut pic looks so tasty.....
I have these steaks in my freezer...2 left, I don't usually smoke low n slow, usually hotter until that 110 and then incinerate it at the end.
They never look as good as yours does.......will have to try harder.
Thanks, Darryl. I usually go to 115° internal, but decided to try 110° and was not disappointed. Doing it in the smoker first gave it a very even 110° all across it - almost like sous vide, but with smoke. I got a tip a while ago to no sear it over a fire that's too hot and it works. If you rotate the steak about 30° every 45 seconds or so, and then flip it a couple of times, it builds a nice crust without the heat going too far into the meat. I have to admit that this outcome had a considerable amount of luck built in.

Jeff

This was my thread about a similar cook.
I of course cooked it too long...but it was tasty

That's some A1quality protein and you treated it with respect :). It looks absolutely fantastic. I have recently taken to doing this using my newly acquired SnS and it shows promise. I still have work to do on this, but I think I am a convert to this 'smoke and sear' process. Thanks for sharing Jeff.

That looks delicious. It may be a little less work if after smoking it, pull the middle off the smoker and put the grate and steak directly on the bottom of the WSM to sear it . I have not tried this (so tell me if this will not work) but that way you don't need to fire up a second grill.

Do you have a picture of that? I may like to try that.
Yes, I had to go back quite a few years to find them, but you can see what I did if you zoom in. My goal was to have a charcoal grill without buying yet another due to cost and limited space. So you can also see the standard kettle grate that I added when needed. For appearance sake, I would have made the "tongues" the same width, but it was no big deal. With these tongues, there was no danger of the lid sliding off. For these, I just bought an aluminum strip at Lowe's, cut, shaped and drilled to fit the existing legs.Egg w Charcoal Holders.jpgEgg w Steak.jpg

That looks delicious. It may be a little less work if after smoking it, pull the middle off the smoker and put the grate and steak directly on the bottom of the WSM to sear it . I have not tried this (so tell me if this will not work) but that way you don't need to fire up a second grill.
The Weber Egg, I've done it many times for tenderloin or roasts.

Back