Slow to 1,000 - Sausage (and bread for Bill)

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
Hard to believe that I joined Chris’ merry band at TVWBB 13 years ago! It’s taken me a lot longer than some to make it to 1,000 posts, so, since I’m here, figured I better make it count! ;) I’ve learned so many things from people who have posted here over the years (some still here, some who moved on long ago), that I pretty much figure that anything I do on or around the grills has been influenced in some way by TVWBB. So, for my 1,000th post, I thought I’d post up something that I’ve been working on getting better at…..sausage.

On the docket this time around is some fresh Kielbasa from Rytek Kutas’ “Great Sausage Recipes & Meat Curing”, which I planned to hot smoke for some extra flavor. I started with some pork butts from my local grocer, who was also quite happy to provide me with some fresh fat trimmings (no charge), and enough casings for 25lbs of meat (at a VERY nominal charge.) I wasn’t shutter-happy during the grinding process, but make some mental pictures of some pork butt and fat trimmings cut up and ground, then mixed with the appropriate spices…..resulting in this 5lb Ziploc full of goodness (pork, salt, sugar, pepper, garlic, marjoram):

IMG_1184.jpg

I let this chill out in the fridge overnight, and then busted out my antique cast iron stuffer to fill up my casings:

IMG_1185.JPG

After stuffing the sausage, I left it in the fridge overnight, uncovered so that it could thoroughly dry before smoking. The next day, I loaded the sausage up on my new toy from Xmas, the Weber Expandable Smoker Rack:

IMG_1186.JPG

I started with a smoker temp of 175 degrees with some heavy cherry smoke for the first couple of hours then raised the temp to 200 degrees until my sausages were 160 degrees internal. All told, it took about four hours until I beheld this wonderful sight:

IMG_1187.JPG

I then removed the sausage from the WSM, and immediately placed it in an ice bath to make sure that the casings didn’t shrivel up as they cooled down, eventually ending up with this appetizing plate:

IMG_1189.JPG

In parallel to my sausage production, I decided that I couldn’t let Mr. Schultz have all the fun on the bread front, so I made up a couple of loaves of 40% rye sourdough, which, if I do say so myself, turned out damned good!! ;)

IMG_1194.JPG

So, after all that work, I figured I should eat something……

IMG_1196.JPG

IMG_1197.JPG

I couldn’t be happier with how these two projects turned out. The sausage came out just right in terms of texture, flavor and smokiness. The bread has a perfect balance of sour, crunch, and rye flavor (though it would have been even better if I wasn’t out of caraway seeds!)

I’ve said it many times, but thanks to all of you who post here. Whether you are asking for information, providing information from your experience, or just generally provoking thought and conversation, you have all helped me to continually expand my cooking horizons outdoors and in. Thank you, and grill on!

Rich

You told me you wanted something great for your 1000th post and my friend you you did not disappoint. The sausage looks heavenly and the bread magnificent. And you Sir are one of those who have helped me and I am sure many others.
Congrats and well done

Outstanding Rich. Bread and sausage look fantastic. That stuffer is really cool. Also, I haven't found a butcher around here who'll give away their pork fat. I've had to buy it or save my trimmings from prior cooks.

Thanks, guys.

Bill, if I've given back 1% of what I've learned here, I'm a happy guy.

Cliff, I found that stuffer (4 qt size) when I first tried my hand at sausage many years ago. It's a clunker, and not super efficient (leaves a bunch of meat at the bottom), but I love that I'm using something that old, which works as good as the day it was originally purchased! I'm very lucky that we have a "neighborhood" grocery store close by, where we do much of our weekly shopping. There are three guys there who process all the sub-primal cuts they get in, and will either save me fat trimmings if I call ahead, or will cut some fresh if I ask while I'm there. They've never once charged me for them!

Cheers,
Rich

Well Rich you made that 1000th post count alright, bread and sausage look perfect. Just starting on my bread making skills taking what Bill and others have shown us. Sausage is next up. What I've learned on this forum is 99% of the grilling and smoking skills I have. Still a long way to go.
Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, guys.

(leaves a bunch of meat at the bottom)

I can relate with this. I have a VIVO stuffer. I love it. It is fast and easy to clean. My only problem is that it leaves about 3/4 pound of meat in the lower horn. I have to freeze it until the next batch. I think I'm going to get a small hand stuffer, or jerky gun, to finish off that last bit of meat. Like your anchoring system on the stuffer too.

I had to log in and say I've also learned a lot from this site and thank you for the great post Rich! AND everyone who takes time to show us how to be great foodies!:)

The sausage and bread look fantastic! Great job for your 1,000th post. That webber rack is a great tool. Sure makes sausage smoking a breeze.

Jason, Russ, Mark, Chuck, thanks!

Chuck, I'm just getting ready to supply you with sausages to help the Giants win come April! ;)

R

Rich, that looks fantastic you did spectacular for you 1000th. Like everyone else has said this is a great forum and everyone and I do mean everyone is so helpful.
Thanks for sharing this incredible cook and hope to see you more often, CONGRATS again.

Rich congrats on the 1000th post and that sausage and bread looks delicious. I will have to agree with you that since I have joined on here that I have gotten so much information that I need many of tablets to keep it all.

Back