Slow n low tri tip?

S Wagner

TVWBB Member
I have a really nice tri tip that a friend gave to me, and I wanted to cook it up soon. Problem is, I've never done one before. Most tri tip recipes I've seen call for hot n fast, cooking to medium rare. Has anybody done these low n slow, and if so, what's a good recipe?

I've only done one tri-tip but I think they lend themselves better to cooking over a hot fire rather than low and slow.

Bob Correll has done it and so have others with good results. Search his posts he posted how he cooked it. I have been wanting to do a low and slow TT I just can't get myself to try it, I always chicken out, all I have done is hot and fast. Good luck and post your results!

I cook a lot of tri-tips between entertaining and cook outs at work. Tri tip in California is what brisket is in Texas. I've done both slow and low and high heat. Personally when I'm cooking for me and not a big group I cook mine indirect at 250 degrees. When I get to 125 internal on the tri tip I pull it wrap in foil and a towel and place in a small cooler for an hour. Ends up being medium to medium rare and very tender. I only use a dry rub. Bills beef power rub is my favorite rub (can post if interested) put on the night before. Cook with kingsford blue and a few chunks of peach wood or grape vine.

Thanks for all the feedback! Damn Bob, that looks amazing! I think I'm even more torn now between hot 'n fast and slow 'n low than I was when I first posted! I think it will end up depending on how much time I've got this weekend. In any case, I'll be sure to post results when I get them. Thanks again!

Not really much if anything to be gained by doing a tri low and slow as there is not much fat to render out.
It will only get tough if overcooked. But we all like to experiment. Enjoy either way.

It will only get tough if overcooked.
I disagree Bob, maybe a little dry, but by no means tough.

IMGP0697.JPG

Not sure if this is low & slow or high heat:

I've had good luck using a dry rub overnight (Big Bad Beef Rub (w/ added ground Chipotle from Amazing Ribs.com or your choice) & my WSM with a heat diffuser. A foiled dry water pan would work, I suppose (I use a 1/4" plate with a 1" rim that is foiled). Minion Method with several chunks of Mesquite. About 2 layers of charcoal in the charcoal grate- Kingsford Blue. 1/2 chimney of Kingsford Blue. Vents wide open. The meat is put on the grill (straight out of the fridge) at the same time the charcoal is added from the chimney. Cook to an internal temp of 122*, remove meat from smoker, remove center section, let the coals rage, drop grill grate to the bottom & sear the tri-tip for several minutes on both sides. Remove the meat to a platter, loosely tent with tin foil for 15 minutes before carving. If you are lucky, it will be swollen and jiggly when you remove it after searing.

While the meat is resting... grill some corn on the cob.

Last edited:
a little wishbone Italian dressing, a little SPOG, and about 30-45 minutes over the coals (or flame). Try traditional first & then branch out.....

I have done many tri tips. and also prefer the ones cooked at a higher temp. (though reverse sear works well...using both WSM and PERFORMER)

The only time I cooked it, I did reverse sear. Seasoned with SPOG, some Cayenne, and a little W sauce, into the fridge over night. next day, onto the smoker running around 270*. Pulled it when it hit 125* and then give it a high heat sear on the gasser to about 135*. Make sure to cut it across the grainS.

10659160_924027177625548_2973556739156835059_n.jpg

10612912_924088647619401_601508148402032407_n.jpg

Back