Skyline 1200 Restoration

Josh Dekubber

TVWBB Guru
Day 1

Picked this one up last night after a long day of travel from Arizona to Washington. I lined up three grills while I was in Arizona. So I have two more to pick up. A Redhead 1000 tonight and a really nice Green lid 1000 that I'm super excited about! I'm most likely going to do two builds at the same time. The green 1000 that I have yet to pick up and this skyline. The skyline is a little rough but I have 6 Genesis 1000s so I'm not worried about it. First order of operation and the one thing that I am worried about is the condition of the lid on the skyline. We all know about the Weber Fade issue on them. It was late and dirty last night when I got home so I'm going to work on that first thing this morning and find out what I'm working with. I haven't slept much. Maybe I'll just get up and get to it. 4:00 a.m. now

20240707_184103~3.jpg20240707_184129~3.jpg

20240708_044401~2.jpgHere's some stuff I'm going to try. I'm going to start with Simple Green and steel wool. Then I'm going to go over it with Mother's clay bar to try and pull any contaminants out. Then I'm going to go over it with a non-abrasive rubbing compound and try a couple different types of Polish. Then I'll go over it with McGuire's paste wax. I'm hoping this does the trick otherwise I have a few other things to try.

Sadly you're treating it like paint. It's not paint and doesn't behave like it either. It is literally "glass" fused to the steel. It's the pigments in the glass that fade. Not the actual coating. Once the glass is cleaned no polishing, clay bar or anything else is going to help

Sadly you're treating it like paint. It's not paint and doesn't behave like it either. It is literally "glass" fused to the steel. It's the pigments in the glass that fade. Not the actual coating. Once the glass is cleaned no polishing, clay bar or anything else is going to help
Please believe it's not that I don't trust you. I do believe that you guys are probably 100% right but that doesn't mean I'm not going to try. If that makes sense. I've been told many times in my life that I can't or won't be able to do things that I have succeeded at. That doesn't mean that I'm going to succeed here it just means that I'm not going to accept defeat before even making an attempt. I'm in no way trying to prove you or anybody wrong.

Nope. No worries. Just wasn't sure if you actually knew what the lids are made of. Part of their quality is also a huge part of their "curse". It's basically impervious to anything (except UV). It may "mask" the issue (i.e. the waxing and what not) but once it heats up, the wax burns away and it shows up again. But, have fun. There was nothing more to the post than that. "information". Otherwise have fun post photos.

Nope. No worries. Just wasn't sure if you actually knew what the lids are made of. Part of their quality is also a huge part of their "curse". It's basically impervious to anything (except UV). It may "mask" the issue (i.e. the waxing and what not) but once it heats up, the wax burns away and it shows up again. But, have fun. There was nothing more to the post than that. "information". Otherwise have fun post photos.
I appreciate the input very much. I'll report back my results when finished

Larry was quicker on the trigger to point put that the enamel on a grill lid is theoretically Glass and is not paint. The care and feeding of it is different and much less demanding (in my opinion) razor blades, 4x0 steel wool with a lubricant (soapy water, simple green, Windex) will provide excellent results with FAR LESS effort than treating it like paint. I think Larry and I are really saying “Do as you please but, this is kind of a case where simpler is better.”
Are we in accord Dr. Michaels?

Larry was quicker on the trigger to point put that the enamel on a grill lid is theoretically Glass and is not paint. The care and feeding of it is different and much less demanding (in my opinion) razor blades, 4x0 steel wool with a lubricant (soapy water, simple green, Windex) will provide excellent results with FAR LESS effort than treating it like paint. I think Larry and I are really saying “Do as you please but, this is kind of a case where simpler is better.”
Are we in accord Dr. Michaels?
I truly apologize if I came across unappreciative. I started by treating it and cleaning it with the methods that you guys use and now I wanted to try some of my own. All of the things that you guys are saying make sense 100% And I'm sorry if I came off rudely. Was not my intention. I do understand that it's not like regular paint. I realize you guys have good intentions and I appreciate it.

20240708_065232~2.jpg20240708_065332~3.jpg20240708_065249~2.jpg20240708_065326~2.jpg

So I just wanted to see if the lid would come out okay before I started really tearing into this thing. It's definitely not perfect but it's okay. It got pretty much as good as it would get with all of the standard methods that you guys use. I tried some of my own with minimal to no success.

The sun as you know is brutal down in Phoenix. I was lucky when I got the gen 2 from Glendale (right next door to Phoenix). The son of the original owner told me that it was always covered and under a solid patio cover, plus hardly ever used. The only thing that was shot was the wood really dried out from lack of humidity.

The sun as you know is brutal down in Phoenix. I was lucky when I got the gen 2 from Glendale (right next door to Phoenix). The son of the original owner told me that it was always covered and under a solid patio cover, plus hardly ever used. The only thing that was shot was the wood really dried out from lack of humidity.
So nice to find a gem like that! I'll be picking up one later this week that looks like it's in extremely good condition. I'm extra excited for that one

Back