Skyline 1200 Restoration

You're absolutely right Steve and I know I have at least one in my house painting supplies. This is coming off pretty easy though. This lid is not bad inside.

Question for you @Steve Hoch

I can't tell from the factory black and white pictures.

Do you think the condiment basket and bottom wire rack should be gloss black to match the hood and control panel or more of a semi-gloss to match the frame?

I believe they were semi-gloss, not satin or flat, though. Not sure on just a wire rack if you could tell much difference. This was on my now sold :cry:3-burner:

IMG_4436.jpg

You can laugh at the White Sox medallion, but I liked how the skyline on it tied in. And, hey, the Sox are on track to beat out the 1962 NY Mets modern record of 120 losses!😆

I believe they were semi-gloss, not satin or flat, though. Not sure on just a wire rack if you could tell much difference. This was on my now sold :cry:3-burner:

View attachment 95439

You can laugh at the White Sox medallion, but I liked how the skyline on it tied in. And, hey, the Sox are on track to beat out the 1962 NY Mets modern record of 120 losses!😆
Perfect! Thanks Jon. I want to make my Skyline as close to original as possible

I know if I restore a Junior she won't want me to get rid of that either. So maybe after the green lid and the skyline I'll restore a Junior if I can find one close enough to me by then. Honestly I think she's just happy I'm not spending money on home audio gear.

I know if I restore a Junior she won't want me to get rid of that either. So maybe after the green lid and the skyline I'll restore a Junior if I can find one close enough to me by then. Honestly I think she's just happy I'm not spending money on home audio gear.

Thing is, its so easy to get wrapped up in this because you have so many people literally giving them away or selling them for 20 - 50 bucks

Thing is, its so easy to get wrapped up in this because you have so many people literally giving them away or selling them for 20 - 50 bucks
The having to drive back and forth to get them around Chicago is what keeps me in check. The last one I grabbed was free, unusual, and only a ten minute drive each way. Ideal situation. I still look all the time, but most of them are pretty easy to pass up.

Just picking up my green lid 1000 and it is even nicer than I thought it would be. It looks like it's only been used a couple times and been stored inside. I love that it came with the original binder owner's manual with receipts and everything.
That's great, and it's nice to have the manual as well. I still glance at the assembly instructions when I put one together. It's easy to put the lower frame sections together backwards if you don't remember exactly how they are supposed to be oriented. Most people wouldn't know the difference I guess.

This is so true. I used to do this with bicycles before contracting Weberitis. Small mechanical issues in today's world and people just throw them away. Rescuing great Weber grills is easier with the amount of free/inexpensive stock. I haven't bought one in a year yet the hoard keeps growing.

Looks like this one was purchased right close by where I'm picking it up locally in Gig harbor. This is the original owner.20240709_135031~2.jpg20240709_135345~2.jpg20240709_135338~2.jpg
This kind of stuff is really cool to me!

Anyways I better get moving I got a long drive home. I'll share some pics of the barbecue when I get back

Back