Sirloin tip roast vs ribeye roast

Dennis - CurlyQ

I'm having some company over on Friday for dinner and hockey. I was planning on doing a ribeye roast. When I went to the butcher today to get the meat, they didn't have ribeye roast. What I did pick up was a 6lb sirloin tip roast. Can I cook this basically the same way I was going to do the ribeye roast?

Below are the instructions I wrote for myself after I did my research on ribeye roast:

4 hours before cooking:
Rub with EVOO, salt, pepper, onion/garlic powder, thyme, rosemary
Wrap in Saran Wrap, back in fridge for 3 hours

Hour before cooking:
Remove from wrap
Rub with thin coat of horseradish mustard, butter and Montreal seasoning.

Cook on smoker, indirect at 250 degrees with small amount of hickory until IT Of 125-130 is reached. Remove and wrap in foil for an hour

Will that plan work with a sirloin tip roast? I'll be using my mini WSM.

Sirloin tip roast is much leaner than ribeye roast. I don't think you want to cook it much past 125 or it'll get tough quick. Figure on slicing it thin, too. I think you can find some recipes online, so you may want to consult those.

Stay out of the penalty box.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I'll keep the IT to 125 or less then. Maybe change plans to have roast beef sandwiches instead of cutting them thick for steaks then.

I did a sirloin tip this weekend on my 22 inch Performer - cooked it indirect until about 120°F, then took the cover off and let the charcoal rock and roll. I put the roast directly over the coals and got a nice sear.

The internal was about 130°F - the meat had lots of juice and was cooked about medium. I sliced it really thin. It was really good, but I wish that I'd taken the cover off at 115°F and seared to 125.

I think that your prep is good - mine was soy sauce, garlic powder and EVOO in a zip loc for about 3 hours.

Slice it thin and be sure to slice against the grain!! Some times it's hard to tell. Cut a very thin slice then grab each side of it and try to pull it apart. If you see the fibers separating, you've done it the right way. If not, turn and try another slice. No shame in having to take a couple of slices off to determine the grain. You can have it perfectly cooked and be slicing it thin, but if you don't go against the grain on this one it will still be tough to chew.

I did a sirloin tip this weekend on my 22 inch Performer - cooked it indirect until about 120°F, then took the cover off and let the charcoal rock and roll. I put the roast directly over the coals and got a nice sear.

The internal was about 130°F - the meat had lots of juice and was cooked about medium. I sliced it really thin. It was really good, but I wish that I'd taken the cover off at 115°F and seared to 125.

Reverse sear is a good idea for a sirloin roast. I do 2-1/2" ribeyes like that and never go over 115 before searing. Result is usually a nice med-rare.

Jeff

Thanks for all the advice!

About how long do you think it will take at about 250? I've seen people say anywhere from 15 min/lb to 1 hour/lb. I'm shooting for medium since since some of my guests don't like rare. I'm going to slice it thin for French Dip. I just need to make sure it's done at about dinner time and I can't tell if I should start it early this afternoon or later this afternoon

https://ibb.co/cagSdF
https://ibb.co/jaDvXa

Thanks for all the advice!

About how long do you think it will take at about 250? I've seen people say anywhere from 15 min/lb to 1 hour/lb. I'm shooting for medium since since some of my guests don't like rare. I'm going to slice it thin for French Dip. I just need to make sure it's done at about dinner time and I can't tell if I should start it early this afternoon or later this afternoon

https://ibb.co/cagSdF
https://ibb.co/jaDvXa

Honestly, if you are going to slice for French Dips, it would be better to have it done well in advance and actually chill it. Slicing while cold and firm is so much easier. Then, have a nice hot pot of Au Jus. Not boiling, just hot. Drop some thin slices in, let them steep for a minute then remove from au jus and place on rolls.

you are going to want to let your sirloin sit for about 20 min before slicing as well.. this allows the meat to calm down and result in a much more tender slice. if you slice it right out of the cooker it will "bleed out" more and result in a much dryer and tougher slice.

Back