Simple-But-Awesome Ribs

Dave Alvarado

TVWBB Super Fan
I've got my technique pretty much nailed down, so I figured I'd go ahead and share. This technique works for spares as well, just add about an hour to the cook time before foiling.

My first few racks of ribs I ever cooked weren't really up to what I was looking for. They were certainly edible, but they were just kind of "meh". Other people loved them, but I wanted something more complex. So, I started looking into how the competition guys do it and shigged like crazy. This is the result.

1. Open up your package of ribs, peel off the membrane if you want, and remove any shiners if you want. If you have a full rack of spares, cut them to St. Louis style.

2. Rub them down with a medium coating of whatever rub floats your boat. I experiment all the time, I've used everything from salt & pepper to Indian spices.

3. Fire up the WSM, get it set for 275F. Use whatever smoke woods you want, I prefer hickory.

4. Ribs go in the smoke. 2 hours for loin backs (babybacks), 3 hours for spares.

5. When time is up, get some heavy-duty foil and lay it out on a table somewhere. Put a layer of brown sugar with some hot sauce on top on the foil. Use whatever hot sauce you want. If you want to use other sweet stuff, go for it. Butter? Sure. Lay the ribs bones-up on the layer of stuff. Put more of whatever you used on top of the bones. Wrap tightly and put back in the smoker for about 40 minutes. If you prefer falling-off-the-bone, go longer.

6. When time is up, unwrap and put back on the smoker. Slather both sides with whatever sauce you like. Smoke for about 30-40 minutes, until the meat starts to tear when you pick up the rack with tongs. If you're going for falling off the bone, you may need to go longer. I prefer mine to have a bit more firmness so they leave teeth marks when you bite them.

7. Cut and enjoy!

I've done this quite a few times now and it's always a winner. You can experiment and change up your flavors with the rub, the stuff in the foil, and the sauce. Go nuts, it's hard to go too wrong. The biggest gotcha I've found is going overboard with the hot sauce.

I've been doing mine like that for a while as well. I find that you have to monitor the ribs pretty closely in the foil -- they can go from "toothy" to fall-off-the-bone within a 15-minute window. I think your 40 minute-rule is about right.

Last time I did spares ---- they were in the foil too long and literally fell apart. Wifey loved em, but they were insanely overcooked. lol
I think the methods/times you listed are spot on!

That's the temperature I like and I agree with the method "if" you are foiling. Sometimes I just take them right through the entire cook with a dry rub and no foil.

Same with me, I have done them both ways in the same cook, if I am not foiling I will spritz them a couple of times with AJ. I only foil if I am trying for a sweeter profile with brown sugar or something similar like my mint julep ribs.
The temp is right at 275 for me also

This is the precise way I ran my ribs this past weekend. 3 hours at temps ranging from about 240* to 320*, 40 minutes wrapped with brown sugar + apple cider vinegar, and then ~30 minutes back on the heat with a BBQ sauce to finish them up. The 3-2-1 method seems completely off to me. If I foiled for 2 hours, I'd end up with mush.

One thing I did notice is that it's possible to overuse the brown sugar. My wife loved the ribs and thought they were really good because of the sweetness. I felt like they had a bit of grainy texture to them where the brown sugar maybe had not completely melted. Lesson: Don't overuse the brown sugar on your BB's.

I was able to cut the sugar taste with a really good acidic homemade BBQ sauce that is based heavily on apple cider vinegar.

I've been doing ribs with brown sugar for a while and here are some observations: Use light brown sugar; I use at least a couple of tablespoons per rack -- maybe even pushing three. I drizzle a couple of teaspoons of light agave nectar on each side. With the ribs meat side down in the foil, I add 2 Tbsp of apple juice. I monitor them closely when cooking them in the foil. I finish them out of the foil and on a 300 degree grill with a light coat of a spicy/sweet sauce. When people ask "What's on these?" they are always surprised at the mention of brown sugar. They don't taste "sweet" -- just balanced and smoky, with no bitterness at all. I'm sure it's personal taste, but I, too am surprised that with all that sugar, they don't really taste sweet.

Monitor them often when they're in the foil -- it's easy to overcook them.

I smoked 6 racks yesterday, coiled in an 18" WSM. They had a great bark after 3 hours. I foiled them with sugar, etc. and refrigerated them. I plan to finish cooking them in the oven at 250 tomorrow, then finishing them on the grill with sauce. I'm having 20+ people over and also doing a 10 Boston butt and 15 lb brisket. I only have one WSM, so I have to pre-cook and reheat. Seems to work out well with everything but the brisket. I'll cook that overnight tonight and have it ready to go for lunch tomorrow. Can't wait to chow down on all of it tomorrow.

Jeff

Pretty close to Harry Soo's method. I use honey instead of agave. Try grinding your rub to a fine powder and sprinkling a dusting on top with a slight spritz of apple juice to finish.

Otherwise, I use salt, pepper, onion and garlic and prep a really nice sauce to dip. Sometimes BBQ should be easy. An easy Carolina Red with vinegar, ketchup, garlic, onion and some heat plus chile seasonings works well. Let it steep for a few days and it works on everything.

What do you use to grind the rub? I use a paprika, sugar, salt, pepper, chili powder, onion powder,garlic powder and cayenne rub. It seems to be pretty fine already except for the turbinado sugar. I like the idea of having a fine dust to put on at the finish line. Mostly I doctor Sweet Baby Ray's Sweet & Spicy with pineapple juice, apple juice and agave. Found a recipe in "The Biker Cookbook" for a ketchup/mustard/garlic/onion sauce that hits the spot with ribs.

Glad to hear others are doing it similar.

Harry Soo was definitely an inspiration, so was watching Johnny Trigg do his thing on BBQ Pitmasters. I'm liking some of y'all's ideas for doctoring those ribs up.

What do you use to grind the rub? I use a paprika, sugar, salt, pepper, chili powder, onion powder,garlic powder and cayenne rub. It seems to be pretty fine already except for the turbinado sugar. I like the idea of having a fine dust to put on at the finish line. Mostly I doctor Sweet Baby Ray's Sweet & Spicy with pineapple juice, apple juice and agave. Found a recipe in "The Biker Cookbook" for a ketchup/mustard/garlic/onion sauce that hits the spot with ribs.

J, I have a dedicated coffee bean grinder. It was the first one I ever bought but after looking at them this one has the blade closer to the bottom of the bowl. I bought another one for coffee as I grind my beans every morning. I use the other for pepper corns, herbs whatever, works great!

Was doing a search for a good first time recipe and yours sounds great. One question I have is are you using water in the bowl or just foiling the bowl?

I smoked 6 racks yesterday, coiled in an 18" WSM. They had a great bark after 3 hours. I foiled them with sugar, etc. and refrigerated them. I plan to finish cooking them in the oven at 250 tomorrow, then finishing them on the grill with sauce. I'm having 20+ people over and also doing a 10 Boston butt and 15 lb brisket. I only have one WSM, so I have to pre-cook and reheat. Seems to work out well with everything but the brisket. I'll cook that overnight tonight and have it ready to go for lunch tomorrow. Can't wait to chow down on all of it tomorrow.

I've done the same thing for tailgates for Bears games. I'll get a nice color on my ribs, then foil with some butter, brown sugar, and honey. Luckily it had been so cold in Chicago, that after doing that, I put the foiled ribs right down on the snow to cool off. After they were cooled, just kept them in fridge until tailgate time. Put them on the Weber kettle in the foil and reheated them for a while, then took out of foil and finished them on another grill. Worked perfectly.

Back