Simple Anniversary Dinner

Jose Suro

TVWBB All-Star
Hi all,

The Wife and I decided to celebrate our 28th quietly rather than venturing out in the labor day weekend traffic. So, we stayed at home, drank a fine bottle of champagne and hung around in the pool all afternoon. Then went out of the pool and had a couple of scotches while prepping and finally had a simple dinner with a nice bottle of Marques de Riscal Reserva. We had a great time!

Grilled and shared a 2 pound ribeye with a couple of sides....

_DSC4499_DxO-2160-XL.jpg

_DSC4503_DxO-3840-XL.jpg

_DSC4506_DxO-3840-XL.jpg

_DSC4510_DxO-3840-XL.jpg

_DSC4512_DxOc-2160-XL.jpg

A couple of cooking notes: I always put in a tablespoon of water in the pan before putting it on the grill. This keeps the asparagus from shriveling up when they cook. The ribeye was cooked 15 minutes off the fire over tinfoil to 90 degrees internal with lid closed and a chunk of Hickory. Grill temperature of about 550 degrees. Then it was flamed broiled over the fire open lid until it reached 115 internal.

All the best!

Jose

Last edited:
Congrats on 28 years. My wife and I are half way there and I look forward to the next 14 to get to that 28 mark. Great looking cook. I have never seen a ribeye cut after cooked like that. Does it eat more like prime rib?

Congrats on 28 years. My wife and I are half way there and I look forward to the next 14 to get to that 28 mark. Great looking cook. I have never seen a ribeye cut after cooked like that. Does it eat more like prime rib?
Thanks! It does eat like a prime rib, but with differences. The trick here is not to get it on direct fire until it reaches 90 degrees internal. That way there is a maximum time for smoke to get in it and a minimum time for gray, well done meat to develop below the surface edges. Notice that it is the same doneness all the way from the center to almost the edge.

The difference is that when compared to a rib roast the Ribeye has much more outside area to get smoke and a good crust, which means more flavor. That said my wife still dips her bites in horseradish :).

I edited the post above to include a shot of the steak while resting. The wide angle lens and the top view of the image fools the eyes. That thing is almost 2-inches thick.

All the Best,

Jose

Looks really good, Jose...

Is that a carbon steel pan? How do you like it?

Thanks! Yes it is. They are the best I've have found and not expensive. They are made Matfer Bourgeat (French) and they hold up, have a super smooth finish and best of all they don't warp. I have two, a 10-1/4 inch and a 12-5/8 inch. the one in the image is the 12-5/8 inch. The 10-1/4 is reserved exclusively for French omelets, eggs and bacon.

You can Find them here:

Matfer Bourgeat Black Carbon Steel Fry Pan

And their website. They've been in business for 214 years! You have to be good to do that.....

https://matferbourgeatusa.com/

Best,

Jose

Last edited:
Hi all,

The Wife and I decided to celebrate our 28th quietly rather than venturing out in the labor day weekend traffic. So, we stayed at home, drank a fine bottle of champagne and hung around in the pool all afternoon. Then went out of the pool and had a couple of scotches while prepping and finally had a simple dinner with a nice bottle of Marques de Riscal Reserva. We had a great time!

Grilled and shared a 2 pound ribeye with a couple of sides....

_DSC4499_DxO-2160-XL.jpg

_DSC4503_DxO-3840-XL.jpg

_DSC4506_DxO-3840-XL.jpg

_DSC4510_DxO-3840-XL.jpg

_DSC4512_DxOc-2160-XL.jpg

A couple of cooking notes: I always put in a tablespoon of water in the pan before putting it on the grill. This keeps the asparagus from shriveling up when they cook. The ribeye was cooked 15 minutes off the fire over tinfoil to 90 degrees internal with lid closed and a chunk of Hickory. Grill temperature of about 550 degrees. Then it was flamed broiled over the fire open lid until it reached 115 internal.

All the best!

Jose
Congrats!
Great looking food too.

Wife and I just celebrated 30 years (pearl anniversary if anyone cares) with a piece of salmon and fresh corn, nice bottle of Moët et Chandon Brut Imperiale. Celebrated it again with Scallops Pernod and a bottle of Mumms. I love celebrating with my wife! I wish she’d learn to enjoy beef a bit more, she likes hers done to death, I like mine pretty rare. We can rarely share a steak.

Wife and I just celebrated 30 years (pearl anniversary if anyone cares) with a piece of salmon and fresh corn, nice bottle of Moët et Chandon Brut Imperiale. Celebrated it again with Scallops Pernod and a bottle of Mumms. I love celebrating with my wife! I wish she’d learn to enjoy beef a bit more, she likes hers done to death, I like mine pretty rare. We can rarely share a steak.
I care. Why? I'm a person that honors my commitments. I welcome that. Same thing here with steaks. She's medium, I'm "walked slowly through a warm kitchen" :p. We compromised for this cook and went medium rare....

Twenty odd years in the jewelry business makes you mindful of what anniversary is what piece of jewelry. Forty is ruby so, I plan on starting the search for that soon enough. Not being I the business anymore, I don’t have the access to quite the deals I used to be able to get. Maybe I should have said if anyone is “interested” instead of cares.

Thanks for the water in the pan trick. That's an awesome cook, congrats and happy belated Anniversary.

Back