Silver C restoration

JoshDowdle

TVWBB Member
Hey all,

Here’s my silver c resto. So far it’s more just a functional restoration than a full rebuild. I still plan on sandblasting and painting the metalwork as well as new internals. So far I’ve just chucked in a new set of enamel grates and have been using it. I’ve obviously replaced the plastic with wood and removed the side burner for more workspace, however I do plan to restore the side burner and have it set up as a portable unit that I can sit on when required. The wheels are actually a set I found a scrap yard as I was after something a little more heavy duty. From what I can tell they’re from the 1950ish based on the rubber which I thought was pretty cool.

Attachments

• IMG_0095_Original.jpeg
    IMG_0095_Original.jpeg
    195.2 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0096_Original.jpeg
    IMG_0096_Original.jpeg
    204.2 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0097_Original.jpeg
    IMG_0097_Original.jpeg
    168.4 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0098_Original.jpeg
    IMG_0098_Original.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0391.jpeg
    IMG_0391.jpeg
    122.2 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0392.jpeg
    IMG_0392.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0393.jpeg
    IMG_0393.jpeg
    189.4 KB · Views: 110
Looks great Josh! I was just thinking about taking one of those grills and replacing the plastic tables with wood. I'm now a step closer.

Looks great Josh! I was just thinking about taking one of those grills and replacing the plastic tables with wood. I'm now a step closer.
Thanks Steve. Yeah I definitely like the wood but wanted to do something a little different with it being a silver, meaning I didn’t want it to look like I was trying to rip off a x000 grill.

Well, that's exactly what it looks like and you shouldn't feel bad about it at all. The Genesis X000 series grills were much better looking in my opinion than the Silver series with their plastic tables. I would personally try for an even closer copy.

Early Genesis tables with their Z bars and slats don't hold up as well as do the plastic ones on silver/gold Gennys, but they are much easier to adapt to different configurations.
With my fetish for dual drop down tables, this is why I am sticking with the earlier machines....

Well, that's exactly what it looks like and you shouldn't feel bad about it at all. The Genesis X000 series grills were much better looking in my opinion than the Silver series with their plastic tables. I would personally try for an even closer copy.
Haha true! Cheers

Early Genesis tables with their Z bars and slats don't hold up as well as do the plastic ones on silver/gold Gennys, but they are much easier to adapt to different configurations.
With my fetish for dual drop down tables, this is why I am sticking with the earlier machines....
Forsure! I think this will last me into my retirement =) ( I’m only 35 haha) thanks hank.

I find the Silver Style plastic tables swing up and down much easier than the x000 tables, though I like the look of the wood slats.
Yeah good point Dan. I’m not too concerned about loosing the swing up tables with having ditched the side burner.

Looks fantastic! Great job. How is the wood attached as I did not notice Z bars?
Yes you are correct Joe. The wooden runners underneath the planks that hold them in place have been screwed directly into the frame. I’ll do another update with more pics at some stage. It’s not as pretty as using z bars but really was just a quick fit up to get it usable. I wouldn’t be surprised if I actually build a new frame from scratch at some point, or if not I plan on extending this one for a bit more height.

That's a great looking grill, I really like the matching wood trim along the front where it was the black panel before. Very nicely done

That's a great looking grill, I really like the matching wood trim along the front where it was the black panel before. Very nicely done
Thanks Eric! In my head I thought it would look good but was a little nervous about doing it, I hadn’t seen anyone do it before so thought it might’ve been frowned upon lol!

Back