Silver C Project

Well I am done moving on to the 1100 which will be sold. This grill is my keeper so did not go crazy on the firebox or the side lids, got the loose crap off so my crap could takes its place did not boor anyone with pictures of the grease trays will put them in tomorrow going to use the flavorizer bars early in the thread for now really want to see if the c works for me over the 1000 which is going to be given to my daughter who just got married and they intend to buy a house next year.

I will post of list of what I did in a few days the paints I used are in the pictures.

fhRMUMZ.jpg

N3dTGQ4.jpg

cgVRq7l.jpg

y7SYiAl.jpg

YmeMdTS.jpg

oB8pkJF.jpg

kjhdsNm.jpg

zxKvR1g.jpg

i4WoCyB.jpg

KEVssie.jpg

Shout out to Bruce the wire cup brush on the burners worked great all the surface rust gone and nice and smooth holes in the burners did not need anything did blow them out with some compressed air.

Picture of the new crappy Weber cover on my 1000 a year and a half completely fade the one on the Silver got some cracks but still usable looks great after what 13 or 14 years.

Last edited:
Brian. That is a great looking redhead.

Thanks Bruce in the end I am so happy with it but I had a number of issues also do to paint but the 1100 is going to go so much faster with what I learned so going to do a post on exactly what I did how I fixed the knobs after a disaster. All the knobs and end caps on the frame as well as the handle have been painted and clear coated, the header clear was on the handle.

Great looking grill Brian. I have the identical grill awaiting restoration right now.
I am building a new deck and hope to have it and the grill completed by Memorial Day weekend.

On the paints I bought a qt of the Krylon high heat, I used this with a paint brush to treat the rust along the rim of the control panel and the large grease tray. Just a lot easier than spraying in a cup and you won't need to keep spraying paint in a cup if you did not do enough the first time. That paint was at Lowes was $15.00 a qt but cost effective if you do a lot of grills as you could probably do 40 of them with a qt. I also had a few worm holes in the inside of the lid so touched them up with the brush, not enough paint to poison you.

I used the Krylon Gloss Black for the bottom rack, the Side plastic frame caps, knobs and handle were sprayed with the Rusto Satin Granite Grey. Used the Rusto Satin Clear on the side caps, wheels and knobs. Used the Satin VHT High Heat on the handle should be okay.

Now I suspect this is marketing hype you see two cans of Krylon High Heat one max that says 1200 and the other that says 600. However if you read the specs they are the same good for 600 continuous with spikes to 1200 yet the max is 6.98 a can and the regular high heat is 4.28 a can which I used for the side caps and used the max for the firebox. I really can't tell much difference in the color or sheen will take a picture but on the 1100 will spray the frame, the firebox and the lid sides with the 4.28 a can high heat paint. I really like the Krylon unlike the rusto ultra actually has a nozzle that won't break your finger with out the trigger accessory.

I used the same gloss high heat clear on the Weber Emblem after it was done that Bruce used its more glossy but its fine as the VHT is Satin.

I have a lot of paint for the next project from all these cans so will probably only need to buy another few cans of the Krylon High Heat. Got plenty of clear and I use Rusto Satin Stone grey for the knobs on the 1100 which I have some left from when I did the 1000.

Brian,

That is another real beauty! Great job on that. I am itching to get going, and I plan to try out some of your painting techniques on the plastic. That can of Krylon High Heat is also a good idea. I am going to see if my Lowes carries it.

Still looking for a blue hood for you!

Jon

Brian,

That is another real beauty! Great job on that. I am itching to get going, and I plan to try out some of your painting techniques on the plastic. That can of Krylon High Heat is also a good idea. I am going to see if my Lowes carries it.

Still looking for a blue hood for you!

Jon

There are multiple uses for the canned paint which on the 1100 I will use so the left frame piece the indentation that goes into the firebox which is indented brush it on for extra protection the spray paint is thin also thinking on the manifold bracket that bolts onto the firebox use that with the brush or the manifold which you can't see which have rust no need to tape and spray brush the rust areas with the paint.

So the paint on the Silver plastic parts ended up in disaster. It almost appears the clear coat never dried and like Jon's issue on his Skyline knob the cover is basically destroying them. Funny thing is my 1000 knobs with the new style Weber cover does not seem to have any of those issues as they still look good after almost 2 years but I did not clear coat them. They could be resprayed at anytime but sad to say your probably better off leaving them alone.

I have another handle and plastic caps for the C so into the bleach and water they go.

AM1o1sS.jpg

whDBbi7.jpg

HgSbhrC.jpg

FswvOTy.jpg

1000 knobs below
2cw8dtG.jpg

Brian,
That is a bummer, but you took the risk and we appreciate your efforts and willingness to share. I am currently trying out your idea for old Weber plastic wheels. The results look good enough so far that I am thinking of risking it on a rare set of early Genesis 1 wheels. But for parts like those end pieces that take direct handling - or rubbing from a cover - I guess you might get by with painting the same color, but using a trim restorer is probably a better and safer plan.

You should not have an issue with the wheels I have done 2 sets glad they are looking good so far. I will check to see if the cover did anything to them and report back but I don't think so. I really think its the plastic that is different on the knobs and end caps but I am not a chemist.

It was worth a shot kind of a bummer its my go to grill now doubt the other set is gonna clean up for a showpiece but it is what its is. I think I will stay with the Weber cover that is on my 1000 for the C yes they ain't cheap and fade but there is something about that material and like you I am in an very warm climate in the summer. Sun nothing like when I lived in Boston many years ago nothing even close.

Back