Silver Bullet Smoker Jacket.

Chuck Dugas

TVWBB Pro
Contemplating buying or not.Cost over $100.00,is it worth it? Please help me decide.pro's and con's.
Thanks for any help on this subject.
Chuck.

Before answering, could you let us know what you want from the jacket, how you plan to use it and what your priorities are?

Insulation, rain/snow proofing, wind-proofing, and decreased fuel use/cost are possible benefits as I understand it, but this will depend on where, when, and how you use your WSM.

Hi Mat,
All of the above.Plus where,when,and how is the question I am asking,Good investment or not.Is it worth it in general.Do you have one? what do you like or dislike about it.

I haven't used mine for a couple years. I should haul it out and try again. I punched holes in the top of mine because I used it without a Guru, I understand they come with a top vent hole now.

One thing I can say for sure, it stains your (plastic) lid handle.

I didn't get all geeky with it, it helped with wind, cold and rain/snow but it wasn't night and day difference in terms of charcoal usage as I recall.

The $100 question would I buy it again? No.

Since I have it though, as I mentioned, I'll try it again and update this if I change my mind.
icon_smile.gif

I love mine and use it all the time, along with a Guru (Comepetitor). It protects the WSM in rain and wind and insulates the WSM. You use alot less coals with the jacket on.I'd buy it again in a heartbeat, and I'm hoping the Guru Folks make one for the new 22" Big Boy. I used it the other day for a brisket cook. Very windy out and had rain during the cook.

AJsBrisket006.jpg

Thanks Bryan,
I was thinking of making my own but the cost of the material+shipping+labor.I think I'll order one out.
Thanks for you help in making my mind up.
Chuck.

I have one as well .. One of the 1st production models. It's completely delaminated now and no longer water proof but still works as a wind block and insulator for those windy and/or very cold nights. I have a covered deck so rain is not an issue. I don't use mine all the time like Bryan; only when it' needed. Would I buy another? Absolutely! In a heartbeat!!

Bill
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I can't imagine that at some point you won't want to do a cook and the weather won't want to cooperate. For $100, you have to ask yourself if you could make or buy something or position your WSM in a way that will protect against rain and wind (mostly wind) any cheaper. I doubt it. Even a plywood wind break with a lid will get you into the $50 range and anything light and portable will certainly get you up to $100. You just need to decide if it will meet you need better than any other alternative.

Chuck,
I like your wind screen. In fact, I'm probably more likely to do what you did than buy something just because I like to tinker in the garage. However, per the link you posted, "So, if you can split the cost of the cage, the total cost would be about $90." Most people wouldn't have someone to split the cost with so your probably going over the $100 plus you have to do some work (time is money).

I was thinking about doing something similar to yours with wire fencing. I was thinking of using it in a more circular shape (i.e. roll it up). You of course did more than think about it so good job. I like it.

People have used just water heater sleeves too, like this check out Chris's section on the main pages and WSM Mods forum ... all kinds of ideas.

I have two of them, one original design, which wasn't as good (delaminates, etc. because it's not UV resistant) and the newer model, which is much better. I use it all the time with a Guru. I think uit reduces fuel consumption even when there isn't wind or cold. I would not work without it.

Originally posted by Chuck Dugas:
Contemplating buying or not.Cost over $100.00,is it worth it? Please help me decide.pro's and con's.
Thanks for any help on this subject.
Chuck.

I have one. Along with my guru I don't cook without it. It's always windy where my house is situated.( top of a hill, village surrounded by mountains...) It also uses much less fuel. 17 hrs. was the longest. And there was still quite a bit of charcoal left.

Thanks everyone for your ideas and suggestions.
This sure is a great web site,with alot of great people. thanks again.
Chuck.

This is just what I've been looking for, as I don't have any sort of a covered or wind-protected area for my bullet. thanks.

Back