Side dishes on the smoker

Jonas-Switzerland

TVWBB Member
Hi guys

I've been experimenting with my WSM 22. For summer cooking, I like to cook whole menus on the gas grill. Usually a pan of vegetables next to the meat. I wanna try something similar on the WSM. But it did not turn out great. I like to cook between 250-275F.

I tried putting salted+oiled potatoes on the "burn zone". It took about 3h to get done. And then they were dried out. I repeated the experiment with similar results. Next time I put them in a dutch oven, maybe that helps.

I tried some honey glazed carrots. But again, after two hours it was dry, and not really cooked through. And it was bitter from smoke flavour.

I've seen people do baked beans on the smoker directly. But do you do any vegetables directly on the smoker?

Hi guys

I've been experimenting with my WSM 22. For summer cooking, I like to cook whole menus on the gas grill. Usually a pan of vegetables next to the meat. I wanna try something similar on the WSM. But it did not turn out great. I like to cook between 250-275F.

I tried putting salted+oiled potatoes on the "burn zone". It took about 3h to get done. And then they were dried out. I repeated the experiment with similar results. Next time I put them in a dutch oven, maybe that helps.

I tried some honey glazed carrots. But again, after two hours it was dry, and not really cooked through. And it was bitter from smoke flavour.

I've seen people do baked beans on the smoker directly. But do you do any vegetables directly on the smoker?
I've done whole, cored cauliflower. Works well on the smoker. I baste it every 20-30 minutes. Total cook time varies, but usually 2-3 hours.

Smoked cali is really good , try wrapping it in bacon with BBQ sauce glaze.:)
Root vegs can use some pre help like nuking or parboiling. I would never try to do dry beans in a WSM.
Start em on the stove then finish in the WSM, preferably under a butt or ribs.
Smoked whole potatoes, top rack. 275 -300 takes about 3-4 hrs or until soft, then crash them in a CI skillet.

Smoked cali is really good , try wrapping it in bacon with BBQ sauce glaze.:)
Root vegs can use some pre help like nuking or parboiling. I would never try to do dry beans in a WSM.
Start em on the stove then finish in the WSM, preferably under a butt or ribs.
Smoked whole potatoes, top rack. 275 -300 takes about 3-4 hrs or until soft, then crash them in a CI skillet.
Gotta try that bacon wrap...thanks for the tip.

I’ve been doing “Hobo packets” of carrots lately, two pounds of carrots, a 1/4# of butter with salt and pepper, some dried thyme, about an hour seems to work out pretty well.
That cabbage looks very interesting! Maybe for the big bash next week…

Back