Should my stainless grill / flavorizer bars look like this after 1.5 years?

Just drill drain holes. Allows you to keep casters making the grill easier to move around. Also shoot some rust proofing into the legs. This is what I do. I use a product like this https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...ts-19574/hd-corrosion-inhibitor/06026/4176050 and it works great. It sprays in as a penetrating liquid and penetrates seams and so on. Unlike a tar or heavy wax it does not trap moisture it actually will displace moisture. I spray it into the door seams on my cars (provided there is no rust to begin with otherwise I use the Eastwood products I so often mention). It's a great product type to prevent rust. Once it penetrates it ceases flowing and will stay put. It works great also AFTER a rust repair to prevent further corrosion.

Larry,

Thanks once again for sharing your experience. Your advice has been a big help in learning how to do grill renovations better. I am going to try and find some of that O'Reilly rust proof stuff. Looks like I will have to drive a ways to pick it up, but it sounds like it is worth it!

As to casters, that is also a good idea. I think a lot of it has to do with where you put your grills and how much you move them. For example, when my in-laws still lived in suburban Chicago they kept their grill in the backyard shed a good long haul from where they wanted to grill. Four wheels there would have been a lot easier than any casters. "Permanently" sitting on a deck, of course, would be another story.

I see so many rusted-out legs in our coastal environment and even my own Performer lost one. I sometimes take my grills down a street in our unusually set up community, so my repair was to ditch the other caster, repair as much as possible with POR 15. I then used a PVC 1x1 inserted inside the leg that rusted partially off to give it some extra support. Then I just added an axle and regular wheels. Now I have a Performer that is a breeze to roll down the street and hopefully will be stable and usable for another 5 years or more. I would agree, though, that most people wouldn't need that. On the other hand, I still think that going to 4 casters was one of the several shortcomings of the Genesis 300 series. Whatever other issues the Genesis IIs have, at least they went back to the classic 2 wheels and 2 casters which I think is better.

Jon

HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Last edited:
Prior Genesis 300 Series grills also have "magnetic" stainless inside...

I called Weber again - apparently the CSR forgot to get back to me. They are sending me new heat deflectors, flavorizer bars and grates. I asked about the type of stainless they are using for the internals and the CSR didn't know the specifications. My flavorizer bars and grates are magnetic. I didn't think that type 304 stainless was supposed to be magnetic.

Is Weber now using a different grade of stainless steel? Should the grills be magnetic?

I recently picked up yet another "all stainless" Genesis 300, a 3-burner with front controls. This one had been taken care of fairly well and it appears that all of the internals are original. So to help answer some questions that have been asked, I did the "magnet" test:

Hood, side trays and doors - magnetic
Grates - magnetic
Flavorizers - magnetic

This grill still had the warming rack which was also magnetic. As has been noted, these were never stainless but rather chrome-plated steel. They have almost no durability.

I was a little surprised by the grate, but I will say the even if they are 400 series stainless, I have NEVER seen one of those grates with rust. And I have picked up some real rust bucket grills! These grates get crudded up and may look bad, but I don't think they will rust under any kind of normal use. So probably their construction is quite adequate.

I wasn't surprised about the flavorizers, even though Weber SHOULD make them like RC Planebuyer does. They don't, but at least we have a great resource for renovation projects to make them better than new. He is the best! I will be updating you about him offering high-grade stainless heat deflectors.

So, it would at least seem that the Genesis II is BETTER than the Genesis 300 (304SS exterior parts) but that Weber would do their reputation some more good by going the whole way in making their grills more rust resistant. I could even accept that this was a higher price option, but it should at least be available.

I agree with Larry on the warming racks. They are always in my way. I have to pull it out virtually every time I use the grill. I would probably just pull it and store it some where, but then I would surely lose track of it for the one time I wanted it. My Genesis 1000 has a hanging basket in the hood that stays out of the way and works great for warming stuff. I have used it for baked potatoes many times. I usually microwave the bakers until almost done, then wrap them in foil and put them in the hanging basket for the last half hour to hour, depending on how hot my cook is.

Jon
That stuff is available through more than O'Reilley's I just used that link because it was convenient. I think Fastenal sells it, I buy it locally at Farm & Fleet, I am sure about any hardware store or even a big box like Home Depot would have it or something much like it. I would look around. I have bought a similar product as another brand but for the life of me cannot remember the name LOL. They all work the same. They're a clear very liquid grease (not meant to lubricate though but more as a corrosion inhibitor like cosmolene) it sprays out VERY runny and with a very high solvent content. Penetrates and then slowly hardens to an almost wax like consistency and seals the metal. It's also self "healing" so if you scratch it, it will simply flow back again. Word of caution is it smells very strong when fresh so keep plenty of ventilation. I used it in a closed garage and got a little woosy

Bruce instead of wrapping those bakers in foil try this trick. Microwave them until basically cooked. Put them in a large bowl toss with EVOO, S&P, and whatever herbs and spices you like. I am fond of rosemary, or oregano and garlic to name a couple. Then toss them right on the grill grates until skins are crispy and delicious. I cut them open and add plenty of good butter, a little more S&P and chow down. Then sit back and watch my blood glucose meter spin LOL

Jon
That stuff is available through more than O'Reilley's I just used that link because it was convenient. I think Fastenal sells it, I buy it locally at Farm & Fleet, I am sure about any hardware store or even a big box like Home Depot would have it or something much like it. I would look around. I have bought a similar product as another brand but for the life of me cannot remember the name LOL. They all work the same. They're a clear very liquid grease (not meant to lubricate though but more as a corrosion inhibitor like cosmolene) it sprays out VERY runny and with a very high solvent content. Penetrates and then slowly hardens to an almost wax like consistency and seals the metal. It's also self "healing" so if you scratch it, it will simply flow back again. Word of caution is it smells very strong when fresh so keep plenty of ventilation. I used it in a closed garage and got a little woosy

Larry thanks yet again. I was able to find that exact product at the better of our two Ace stores near me:) it will become part of my restoration toolkit. I will take your advice on application and fumes and let you know how I do with it.

I have, but not for about 5 years. I like the country style lady that puts two sticks of butter in everything she cooks.

I don't think the warming racks have been offered in stainless.

Rivers Edge sells aftermarket stainless ones on Amazon, search for:

"Weber-Like Warming Rack 7512" -> Silver A
"Weber-Like Warming Rack 7513" -> Silver B

I have purchased one of each and they are pretty nice, way better than the Weber ones.

Great idea! Unfortunately, they don't have any for the Genesis S-330 series. I did some web searches and couldn't find any stainless warming racks for the S-330. Has anyone else had luck finding one?

No, but I wonder if RCPlanebuyer would consider making these. He is working on heat deflectors for the S-310-330 right now. I will ask him about the warming rack to see if he is interested.

Should be easy for him to replicate the warming racks. It would be a cost vs demand issue.

He would have to make and sell a sizeable number of them to make it worth while. He buys his steel stock in bulk to get a good price and unless he can sell a bunch of the warming racks, it probably wouldn't be cost effective. The round steel stock he uses for cooking grates is much, much bigger than what would be needed for warming grates.

Last edited:
I just received new grates, flavorizer bars and heat deflectors from Dave for my Genesis 300. He does incredible work. I can see why everyone here raves about his products. He even has a nice, rounded chamfered edge on all of the bars on the grills - a very nice finishing touch. I had very fast turnaround and his prices are great considering the quality and workmanship of his products. Highly recommended!

RichF,

Can you talk more about the environment of your grill and how it's stored and how often used?. You said its covered but in MN you get real winter's and real summers.

Something weird about how it's aged compared to mine that 5 years old. The only achillies heel I found for California is rain water in cabinet. A good cover took care if that problem.

A SS scraper and wood scraper is all I ever used. Warming rack only got a rare foil scrape. They both cleaned (detailed) nicely recently. NO rust at all ever.

Also, the warming rack was the only piece non magnetic piece when I tested recently. Maybe the always present layer of grime preserved?

42G4rZ9.jpg

Last edited:
RichF,

Can you talk more about the environment of your grill and how it's stored and how often used?. You said its covered but in MN you get real winter's and real summers.

Something weird about how it's aged compared to mine that 5 years old. The only achillies heel I found for California is rain water in cabinet. A good cover took care if that problem.

A SS scraper and wood scraper is all I ever used. Warming rack only got a rare foil scrape. They both cleaned (detailed) nicely recently. NO rust at all ever.

Also, the warming rack was the only piece non magnetic piece when I tested recently. Maybe the always present layer of grime preserved?

42G4rZ9.jpg

Wow - your grates look way better than mine and your grill is also older. I use my grill about once a week or more during the summer and once a week or every other week in the winter. I use the Weber grill brush to try to clean the grates each time which never seemed to do much good. I always cover the grill with the Weber grill cover as soon as the grill cools down. I'm amazed that your warming rack looks so good and was non-magnetic. Interesting. . .

With my new RCPlaneBuyer grates, I'm going to try "seasoning" them with oil to start and keep up that practice. Hopefully they'll look better longer.

I used to have a Weber cover but water seemed to go through(mine is not protected by deck). I gave it to my dad when I gifted him a e/w S310 since he has covered patio.

This cover was way better. How's the lower cabinet? Any rust there?

Your new grates are better for more reasons than material. Thicker and smaller gaps between grates.

Classic Accessories Ravenna Grill Cover - Premium BBQ Cover with Reinforced Fade-Resistant Fabric, Medium, 58-Inch https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00D2VUN0Q/tvwb-20

Also I stopped cleaning after I cook. I leave the grease and crud on as a protective seasoning. I scrape with a wooden scraper after preheat prior to putting on food.

Also I stopped cleaning after I cook. I leave the grease and crud on as a protective seasoning. I scrape with a wooden scraper after preheat prior to putting on food.

I used to do the same...until the rat moved inside my grill. Now it's clean after cooking. :(

Back