Should I roll up chicken thighs?

EricDS

I've done thighs twice on the WSM so far. Basic brine, rub, and some apple wood. Came out amazing each time. I laid them out flat on the grate and I'm wondering if they could be even better if i rolled the up and pierced em with tootpicks so they stay tight.

Im thinking it would allow the whole thigh to cook more evenly and would allow me to take a better internal temp reading.

Any thoughts??

Could you give more information on how you cooked the chicken thighs? I would like to try cooking thighs but I have read mixed reviews. Most people say that the skin does not come out good, I wonder if you are better off using skinless chicken thighs?

I did some boneless/skinless thighs this past weekend. I was going to brine, but then I noticed something about 5-6% added water, so I just put some Famous Dave's Chicken rub on them and put them onto the Performer. I sort of rolled them back underneath themselves, but didn't use a toothpick or anything to secure them. Had the Performer running about 280. I checked them a little less then 2 hours later and they felt nice. Pulled them and let them rest. Came out really good. Just shredded them up. Wish I had taken some pics!

I'd definitely use the boneless/skinless again, but maybe spray the tops of them every so often.

Len called it, I roll mine and usually use toothpicks. They come out real juicy inside like that for me. You have to use higher heat for a crispy skin you will not get a nice skin at 225-250. You can do what many do and smoke it low and slow and then for the WSM remove the center section and put the grate right over the coals to crisp them or just cook at higher temps to begin with.
I actually prefer the higher temps for chix as there is no real need to render fat and the lower longer cooks tend to dry out the meat for me.
Something really cool to do with thighs and actually all chix is to remove your water pan/diffuser, open the vents and let your WSM crank away, put your chix on the top great and enjoy the smoke flavor along with crispy skin and the incredible flavor from the drippings dropping down on the coals. No flare up charring occurs this way, to far from the coals.

Tonight I did chicken thighs with the skin for the first time and it came out great. I was able to keep the temperature around 300 and it was perfect.

Dave, after listening to Chef John from Food Wishes Dot Com... I think three more minutes of his voice, i'd hafta grill my face & ears...
holeyBalls!

I actually prefer the higher temps for chix as there is no real need to render fat and the lower longer cooks tend to dry out the meat for me.
Something really cool to do with thighs and actually all chix is to remove your water pan/diffuser, open the vents and let your WSM crank away, put your chix on the top great and enjoy the smoke flavor along with crispy skin and the incredible flavor from the drippings dropping down on the coals. No flare up charring occurs this way, to far from the coals.

This is what I do for thighs. No water pan and let the WSM cruise at 300 degrees.

Or you could do comp style thighs and try to make bite through skin by scrapping fat off the under side of the skin and putting it back on the chicken. This would also we good practice if you ever wanted to do a comp.

I cooked rolled chicken thighs yesterday for dinner and ate the left overs today. I prefer them rolled no question. Fresh basil, mozzarella, and sundried tomatoes inside rolled chicken thighs is one of my favorites.

Boneless skinless rolled tight, wrapped in bacon like an ABT...unreal.

That sounds good! I was thinking of doing them like wings somehow.......or pounding them flat with a meat hammer and rolling with....???? spinich/feta or ?

Back