Should I add a gas grill to my fleet?

Yeah, I have a gas line in my garage for hot water. Some houses have Laundry hookups in the garage and a Gas Dryer is really nice too.
I don't think it's unusual to find a hot water heater, or washer and dryer in the garage in a house in California? Milder climate and most houses don't have a basement from what I gather.

I don't think it's unusual to find a hot water heater, or washer and dryer in the garage in a house in California? Milder climate and most houses don't have a basement from what I gather.
Yup I get the California deal here in the ATL they do have houses without basements so really never thought about a gas water heater in the garage which in a slab that is probably where it is never seen a laundry hookup in the garage but we do get below freezing in winter at times. I have a full walk out basement so my water heater is in unfinished space.

I have charcoal, pellets, and gas. I like my Genesis for convenience, but I prefer food off the pellets or charcoal. There’s no comparison flavor wise IMO. However, I do a lot of tag team pellet/gas for reverse seared steaks. The Genesis is also great for putting a little sear after sous vide and seems less wasteful than getting a charcoal fire going for two minutes of cooking or the MAK up to searing temps. It’s also used for quick weeknight burgers or thinner steaks start to finish if I’m in a hurry.

I guess I am in the minority. I totally get the reasons to own a gas grill. But I don’t own one and have absolutely no desire to own one. Won’t begrudge a person for having a gasser, just not for me.

My Summit S670 has had no action since buying my E6 charcoal grill.

I love gas for its ease of use and ability to cook a massive amount of food, quickly and easily.

Personally, lump coal on the E6 tastes superior to anything coming off the gasser. And the additional 10 mins to get the coal grill ready for cook is a no brainer as I'll choose flavor over speed just about every time.

A gasser takes 10 mins to heat up to cook temp. The E6 takes 10 mins for the coals to become white hot and then 10 mins more once i place the grilling rack atop the coals for the grates to heat up.

So for 10 more minutes, food just tastes better.

I still like my gasser but am considering selling it this spring/summer. When I build my bbq island, hopefully this summer, i'll do a drop in gasser but smaller than my S670's size.

There's no real comparison on the food produced on a gasser versus coal. My tastebuds prefer lump coal over everything. I'll use briqs as a backup plan. But I do see the value of a gasser, but haven't taken the time to use it because lump is so easy to use these days.

YMMV. Do what's best for you and your family. There is no correct answer, I think....
I agree that cooking with charcoal generally gives better tasting results than gas, but as I mentioned, my wife sees it the opposite and I don’t think she is alone. Then, there are those who say there is no comparison between using an offset stick burner vs a charcoal grill. I suppose each method has its pros and cons.

I avoided one for many many years, then THIS forum made me decide that one might be handy. Well, after a pretty low impact refurbishment of the Genny, I find that it has its uses. Do I really NEED it? No. Am I glad to have it? Yep.

I’ll be the outlier....

Don’t waste your money. Oh boy, I hear the angry crowd with pitchforks and nasty responses already....🤣

Gas is not as good as charcoal. It’s just not. It does not impart any real flavor to the meat, it’s merely heat. Charcoal and pellet are heat AND flavor. So contrary to what some try to convince themselves, gas is not as flavorful as either of the others. That’s not up for debate. Do the Flavorizer bars help? I think so, because my Smokefire has them and tastes different (better, gasp!) than my GMG which obviously does not have them.

Is gas bad? No not really. Is it “good”? Meh, not really in the traditional, make-your-mouth-water BBQ/grilling sense. Look, I have three gassers....a ‘97 Genesis redhead, a ‘16 Spirit, and a new Traveler. The Gennie and Spirit haven’t been fired up in....I don’t know how long. A couple years probably. I went to fire up the Spirit last fall and promptly got stung by a wasp that came out of the Gennie and I had an allergic reaction and....anyway. The Traveler literally came in the other day and did a first cook of hotdogs. They were decent. So why the Traveler? Well...for traveling! Camping and trips to the lake. Where my Smokey Joes tend to not be as consistent time-wise. I have a heck of a time with temp management with the smaller ones.

I also feel minimal convenience in gas vs the others. It’s a small amount of time, negligible.

My two cents

I can light my E330, grab frozen salmon or beef burgers out of the ice box, cook them and be eating before anything else is ready to be cooked on... I think it is less than 15 minutes from lighting the grill until food is heading to my belly.

When time is short on a weeknight / school night / had a long day working and the family is hungry, it is a fast an easy go-to.

If you are a cheap charcoal and lighter fluid kind of guy, then the gas might be right up your alley. If you are more serious with your cooking, you might be disappointed with gas. Diminishing returns on the extra cooker anyway, and you will meet all the downsides of gas - spiders, parts, etc.

I think most here would admit that charcoal cooked food tastes better. Certain foods make a more noticeable difference. The longer it cooks, the more noticeable the flavor difference between charcoal vs. gas.
Which foods do you feel taste better on charcoal?

Before things turn to torches and pitchforks I will put in one last comment.

Kyle, it’s not about should or need, it’s all about want! If you want to add a gasser, do it. It will do some things more conveniently from time to time but, it’s really just about whether you WANT one or not.
I will be happy when you reach a decision that makes you happy. You can’t build a whole house with a screwdriver alone.

Grilling inside your garage is no bueno
I do it all the time. It's where my Q320 lives, just last night I made a very nice slab of organic salmon on my dad's Genesis 3000 inside his garage (thanks to brutal wind and temps here this week) otherwise I would have rolled it outside. Now all this being said
When I DO use the grill(s) inside there are rules I follow (just like Jethro Gibbs). First, if I am doing any type of cooking requiring use of fattier foods over direct heat (think burgers) I do not leave the grills side. I stay out there with an adult beverage during the cook. If high heat is required where there is even the remotest chance of a flare up. Again direct heat or not, I am out there with my martini or my scotch or a nice wine.
However if it's a longer indirect heat like that slab of salmon was then it's no worry.
Now the one rule above all rules is Thou shall leave the garage door OPEN and grill shall be as close to said door as possible to avoid said horrid weather. Otherwise either in my case of the Q320 or dad's house and his Genesis I DO roll them outside fully. Then enjoy my delightful beverage as necessary where necessary

I have a SE-335 Genesis II and an E6. I agree with Bret that the extra few minutes to get coals going is a good thing. We originally got the gasser to be able to grill on CAs spare the air days but we now use it for a change from charcoal. The wife likes food cooked on the gasser so it gets more use than I figured it would. I like that each offers a different set of taste profiles. Another thing that I like about having both is the ability to smoke/drill proteins on the E6 while grilling veggies, bread, etc. on the gasser.

But for me, charcoal is the runaway favorite. Oh, and I keep a WSM 22 in the garage for big jobs! And I do not use smoke tubes or foil packets in the Genesis. Did not see the need.

After being a long time gasser hater, I am now glad we have both…..

Last edited:
I do it all the time. It's where my Q320 lives, just last night I made a very nice slab of organic salmon on my dad's Genesis 3000 inside his garage (thanks to brutal wind and temps here this week) otherwise I would have rolled it outside. Now all this being said
When I DO use the grill(s) inside there are rules I follow (just like Jethro Gibbs). First, if I am doing any type of cooking requiring use of fattier foods over direct heat (think burgers) I do not leave the grills side. I stay out there with an adult beverage during the cook. If high heat is required where there is even the remotest chance of a flare up. Again direct heat or not, I am out there with my martini or my scotch or a nice wine.
However if it's a longer indirect heat like that slab of salmon was then it's no worry.
Now the one rule above all rules is Thou shall leave the garage door OPEN and grill shall be as close to said door as possible to avoid said horrid weather. Otherwise either in my case of the Q320 or dad's house and his Genesis I DO roll them outside fully. Then enjoy my delightful beverage as necessary where necessary
This.
Some 70% fat burgers and a bottle of Rebel Yell...and a $17 box fan from Walmart...whatcould go wrong?😆

Which foods do you feel taste better on charcoal?
Exhibit A in my opinion is chicken. Chicken doesn't have a lot of character and will pick up lots of flavors.

I am of course biased. I cook 99% on gas. My dad cooks only on charcoal. Anytime I go to his house and watch his 79-year-old self messing with his charcoal and kettle makes me feel like I am in for a special treat. I'm just saying that scientifically, it might not be a taste thing so much as the fond memories I associate with the charcoal.

So in my case "taste better" is a package deal - taste, texture, appearance, and memories!

Back