Short Rib Smoke

RichPB (richlife)

TVWBB Wizard
Well, I was planning to smoke these ribs today, but it started grey, gloomy and rainy so I opted to wait a day. Got lots to do in my micro shop just getting my grill cabinet refinished. So tomorrow I'll continue this. (Nasty trick, huh, to provide a tempting title and then duck. :confused: )

But to help feed the passions of the food photo geeks here, I went out of my way to take this just now. Seemed like a good find and worth trying out. About 2" thick.
20230731_115046.jpg

Well, I was planning to smoke these ribs today, but it started grey, gloomy and rainy so I opted to wait a day. Got lots to do in my micro shop just getting my grill cabinet refinished. So tomorrow I'll continue this. (Nasty trick, huh, to provide a tempting title and then duck. :confused: )

But to help feed the passions of the food photo geeks here, I went out of my way to take this just now. Seemed like a good find and worth trying out. About 2" thick.
View attachment 75871
I’d sear them in a pot and then make an Italian ragu for a few hours. In red sauce, of course.

Short ribs....kind of like below but better of course are great. I did a cook on these, maybe posted here with a braise in veg and red wine.....also red wine reduction served over mashed.....it was quite stellar.....I have a pack of 9 in black angus form in the freezer I have been waiting patiently to make.

1690831288810.png

I was a bit leery, but it was still disappointing to be right. Only one of those short ribs were 2", the other 4 mostly bone.
20230801_101938.jpg

But moving on, I rubbed with a mix of half Montreal steak seasoning and half ground pepper. When i start my WSM, I usually try to fill it so also prepared a potato (twice baking), some wings, some sausage and made up a meatloaf. Good there are two cooking grates! Here loaded up.
20230801_133859.jpg

20230801_133927.jpg20230801_134523.jpg

Peering through the top grate you can see the sausage around the meatloaf. The potatoes were done first pass after an hour. The sausage another 30 minutes and the rest needed more time though the wings will come off at about 160* to be finished and crisped another time.

20230801_145212.jpg

Later I'll finish the potato, grill some zuchini and a wing "taster" and find out how these short ribs come out. Btw, they're being mopped with a savory sauce i found and modified. (Recipes later @Joan . 😄 )

Attachments

• 20230801_145212.jpg
    20230801_145212.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
When it reached 155*, the meatloaf came off. It benefitted from the sauce mopped on the ribs above.
20230801_161448.jpg

The small ribs got to 200* first. About 15 minutes more for the largest. While waiting, I got the zuchini ready and mixed the twice baked potato. They grilled quickly with the sampler wings on the "no alpha-gal" Q. And another set of tongs were used -- no cross-contamination allowed.

20230801_170542.jpg

When all was ready, I carefully laid out a nice plating of two short ribs, two wings, a slice of center cut meatloaf, two zuchini strips and the potato. Perfectly set for the pic -- which I promptly forgot, so no proof since I ate the evidence. But it was all real good -- especially those tender ribs. Brisket on a bone. Too much food for one meal, but enough for a week.

Anyway, I'll post the mop sauce and meatloaf recipes tomorrow.

As promised:

I felt that the meatloaf came out perfectly! Just enough spice for me without being intrusive. So may be a bit much for some ( @Joan ?). Most of it went into the freezer, but I enjoyed a slice from off center and put the end-most slice in the fridge -- soon!

That was one heck of a cook Rich, just amazing. Took a lot of coordination to pull that off.

Thanks, just time on my hands... and yes, don't forget the timing... :p

Now I can re-assemble and install my grill cabinet so that I can get my back area (especially kitchen to grill) established the way I want. Hopeful finish date: Saturday.

Looks like the ribs came out pretty dang good, the price was right < $8, can't go wrong with that

You got that right. Even the small ones were meatier than they looked uncooked. I would do it again, but first find some truly good ones to compare. But this was head and shoulders the best of my 3 tries. 🙂

Back