Short Plate Beef Ribs, never enogh!

How does Enrico do this again and again, as Chuck said WOW, insane looking beautiful bones my friend.

Wow Enrico!

If they TASTED anything close to the way that they looked - they must have been finger-licking yummalishious!

Are you a Rome area native? How do your friends / neighbors react at the thought of an Italian person looking to cook "American Style"?
(As an American of German heritage - I LOVE learning and attempting to cook Italian style.)

Keep up the great cooking

Thanks Ron.
Yes Im Rome native.
All my friends were really curious about BBQ tastes from peppery cow to sweet pork. Now they all love bbq.

Beautiful ribs, both before, and after. I'm curious about your cooking style. Do you have charcoal in your water pan?

Drew, no.
In the drip pan there in no charcoal but dirty ash. It works GREATLY to absorbe melted fat and avoid off odors that could impress meat taste.
Believe me or not now I can taste the difference from earlyer cooks when meat was 'impressed' for hours by the frying fat odor.

Great looking ribs Enrico, now I definitely want to try some of these. What was the temperature of the ribs when you pulled them off?

Steve I did not get the IT.
I just pocked looking for the right feeling.
Not really perfect (maybe 30 minutes more at 250F) but have no more time ! ;)

Those truly are some fabulous looking ribs...does Italy have an abundant supply of BBQ cuts of meat? And yes, what do your Italian (vecinos?) neighbors say/think when they "smell" you a que'ing?

Thanks On.
No its all imported meat. This is from National Beef.
Italian Butchers do not slaughter as yours do. If they do like yours they ruin closer cuts and can't sell anymore.
For pork is a little better, but just for ribs. No way for REAL boston butt. The same reason as before.
Fortunately We are more and more and butchers understand this new market a little more and started to import BBQ cuts (beef).
Probably it will be better and better.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks so much for Your (All) Nice words!

Looking great Enrico!! Being a Texas boy, I've been smoking those bad boys for a lot of years. To me, there's nothing better. I'd rather have them than a fine steak. And, those do look scrumptious! Great smoke. I still haven't done any beef ribs on my new 22.5 WSM, and can't wait to try some, to see if I can match the ones I used to do on my old stick burner. I think so, as everything else I've tried on the WSM so far as been very good. Thanks for sharing!

BTW...are you sure those aren't chuck short ribs? In Texas, if it's a 4-bone rack, they're from the chuck area above the brisket...ribs 2-5. Plate short ribs normally come 3 bones to a rack and are behind the brisket, ribs 6-8. Either way, they have about the same taste...I just think the chuck short ribs have a little more connective tissue and sinew...and are normally a little shorter than the plate ribs.

Regardless, I know those bad-boys were delicious! Wish I could've found barbecue like yours when vacationing in Rome. We might just have to make you an honorary Texan, from the looks of your beef ribs and brisket, my friend. Keep up the great work!!

A thing of beauty! Thanks for sharing. What does the small pan of water with enough water for one hour do? I've done very similar cooks several times but haven't used the small water pan.

A thing of beauty! Thanks for sharing. What does the small pan of water with enough water for one hour do? I've done very similar cooks several times but haven't used the small water pan.

Mark,
The idea is to provide in the very initial part of the L&S cook a really humid enviroment to increase smoke flavour and smokering.
After the 1 hour normally external meat is over 140F and from there on I start looking for a great solid bark.

Drew, no.
In the drip pan there in no charcoal but dirty ash. It works GREATLY to absorbe melted fat and avoid off odors that could impress meat taste.
Believe me or not now I can taste the difference from earlyer cooks when meat was 'impressed' for hours by the frying fat odor.[/COLOR]

That's very interesting. I never really thought of that. You've given me something new to try. Thanks

Last edited:
Drew, no.
Believe me or not now I can taste the difference from earlyer cooks when meat was 'impressed' for hours by the frying fat odor.

I never thought of that either. Though my first thought would be concern of ash "splashing" up as fat dripped down. May have to try it on my next cook.

By the way, I agree with everyone. AWESOME looking ribs!

Back