Shame on Weber -thank you RCplanebuyer

My 1998 gen 1000LX came with porcelain coated cast iron grates when I bought it new. lasted about 3-4 years in sunny dry Cali. I replaced them with solid CI grates from Weber and they are still on that grill in excellent condition. A little work to keep them in top shape but well worth it.
If I used the now Gen 2000 that it's been converted to, I certainly would consider a set of Dave's SS grates, but for the maybe 10 time s a year it's used not a wise investment.

The PCI grates on my FIL's 2014 E-210 started to lose their porcelain after about seven years.
The PCI grates on my 2015 E-210 started to lose their porcelain after about seven years as well.
I contacted Weber- it's only a five year warranty on the PCI grates- they offered a 20% discount on replacements, I just said thank you but no; and bought SS replacments from Amazon.

I keep wondering if Dave could make a GBS set for a 22” Kettle? I sure it would be heavy as sin but, it could migrate(bad pun, I’ll go to the corner) between the two kettles pretty easily! Hmmm….

Timothy, I would think that he could make them with much smaller diameter SS rod than the 9mm (3/8") that he uses on the gas grills. That being said, he would likely have to make them from scratch and that would likely up the cost a lot. And I am not sure he would even agree to undertake the project, but it can't hurt to ask. He has done a lot of custom work for others.

Timothy, I would think that he could make them with much smaller diameter SS rod than the 9mm (3/8") that he uses on the gas grills. That being said, he would likely have to make them from scratch and that would likely up the cost a lot. And I am not sure he would even agree to undertake the project, but it can't hurt to ask. He has done a lot of custom work for others.
Right now, that’s got to be a back burner project, a few SWMBO projects must take precedence right now.
Thanks for the suggestion. I might get in touch…

I hope that Dave will ramp back up on grates. With the retirement of Mark Baron of KillaGrilla there is a whole new market for kettle and PK grill grates for him to expand into.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with the porcelain enamel grates. Nothing. They last forever. I can only assume issues arise from damage to the coating which, is not Webers fault nor their problem.

I have a set that are 27-28 years old. Not an issue to be had. And the majority don’t have any issues.

Any implication they are junk is simply false.

In my experience, there are two different "porcelain coated" CI grates. I think that years ago, Weber used a much thicker, actual porcelain coating. But at some point they went with a much thinner coating that is almost transparent. If you don't know what to look for, you might not even realize there is a coating on them.

In my experience, there are two different "porcelain coated" CI grates. I think that years ago, Weber used a much thicker, actual porcelain coating. But at some point they went with a much thinner coating that is almost transparent. If you don't know what to look for, you might not even realize there is a coating on them.
I found those earlier ones with the thick black porcelain impossible to not have chunks chip off no matter how careful I was. Really, it is the same issue that plagued the various Summit grills with porcelain coated steel firebox interior. Too much high heat and rapid cool down. Inevitably the porcelain will crack. I think the newer kind that @Bruce mentioned above are at least an improvement.

@TimA, As old as the set you are talking about is, I have to wonder if you are possibly talking about the ORIGINAL Weber cast iron that, to my knowledge, was uncoated cast iron. I have used and restored a couple sets of these and have one or two sets in my collection for my own use.

Cast Iron Restoration.jpeg
Cast Iron Restored in Skyline Grill.jpeg

You can tell if you have one of these, because they have this Patent # stamped on them:

Weber Uncoated Cast Iron with Patent.jpeg

They are the real deal, but they do take consistent care to keep them seasoned. To all who love thick stainless rod grates, I agree they work probably just as well and take so much less work, lasting almost forever. Still, to me, there is just something primal about cooking on real cast iron that I don't feel when I use stainless rods.

IMG_0581.jpg

@Jon Tofte You know, I posted and went about my day, watched the game and started thinking and second guessing myself haha. I don’t think I have a set of the porcelain coated grates; my Genesis 5 doesn’t, my Gold B doesn’t, my Genesis 1000 from 1997 (what I was initially thinking of) doesn’t, and I don’t believe my Spirit from 2017 does.

So, I may have opened my mouth and been mistaken!

@Jon Tofte You know, I posted and went about my day, watched the game and started thinking and second guessing myself haha. I don’t think I have a set of the porcelain coated grates; my Genesis 5 doesn’t, my Gold B doesn’t, my Genesis 1000 from 1997 (what I was initially thinking of) doesn’t, and I don’t believe my Spirit from 2017 does.

So, I may have opened my mouth and been mistaken!
Your 2017 Spirit would have probably come with said porcelain coated grates. The Genesis 5 probably has the good, heavy cast iron grates that @Jon Tofte references above.

Back