Shame on Weber -thank you RCplanebuyer

EMatos

Hello Everyone,

My 3 year old Genesis porcelain coated cooking grates were crumbling with huge parts of cast iron falling off. Shame on you Weber! I thought of trying to get a free warranty exchange but then what happens 3 years from now? I’m back looking at rotten cooking grates with metal and rust in my food…

So I joined this forum after seeing some reviews done by members over the years. The name RCplanebuyer or Dave Santana kept popping up. I reached out and ordered a set of cooking grate, he made the custom for me. The new grates came today and am blown away by the quality and craftsmanship. The fit is perfect,

I have to say, if you want quality and superb customer service reach out to Dave. You will not be disappointed!

Thanks
EM

Attachments

• IMG_0490.jpeg
    IMG_0490.jpeg
    215 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0589.jpeg
    IMG_0589.jpeg
    181.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
It doesn't get any better than what Dave makes although it's hard to believe those factory grates look that bad after only three years.

It doesn't get any better than what Dave makes although it's hard to believe those factory grates look that bad after only three years.
Yes only 3 years. I did look at my receipt while trying to deciding if I should call Weber. I’ve had cast iron grates on other grills last much longer with periodic seasoning… these were horrible. The worse I’ve had in 30+ years. True story.. Dave didn’t pay me! Ha ha ha

Those porcelain grates have always been less than quality. It’s not a new issue. Mine, like yours and many other, just disintegrate with use in short time.

But that was always a price difference in Weber grills. More expensive grills came with better grates.

Water under the bridge. Enjoy your new ones. You’ll get great use out of them.

Yes only 3 years. I did look at my receipt while trying to deciding if I should call Weber. I’ve had cast iron grates on other grills last much longer with periodic seasoning… these were horrible. The worse I’ve had in 30+ years. True story.. Dave didn’t pay me! Ha ha ha
Yeah, not that I don't believe you. It's hard to believe Weber's quality has dropped that much in this case. I got rid of my original cast iron grates just because I didn't like them, not because they looked like that. Of course that was a long time ago now.

Yeah, not that I don't believe you. It's hard to believe Weber's quality has dropped that much in this case. I got rid of my original cast iron grates just because I didn't like them, not because they looked like that. Of course that was a long time ago now.
Agreed, what was weird was it seemed to happen so quick. It seemed slight surface rust, then to them literally disintegrating.

Maybe I got a bad batch in 2021, COVID manufacturing issue or shortcuts to handle supply shortages?

Who knows…

I would have Weber send me new grates under warranty. You'll not only have a spare set but also let Weber know they have a defective product.
I probably would too just on principal. You could keep them and put them on the grill should you decide to sell it and get a new one.

Maybe it was a lemon set.

My 2016 porcelean cast iron grates on the E330 are in great shape.

My mom's 2009 porcelain cast iron on an E320 side control are also in great shape.

YMMV

Hello Everyone,

My 3 year old Genesis porcelain coated cooking grates were crumbling with huge parts of cast iron falling off. Shame on you Weber! I thought of trying to get a free warranty exchange but then what happens 3 years from now? I’m back looking at rotten cooking grates with metal and rust in my food…

So I joined this forum after seeing some reviews done by members over the years. The name RCplanebuyer or Dave Santana kept popping up. I reached out and ordered a set of cooking grate, he made the custom for me. The new grates came today and am blown away by the quality and craftsmanship. The fit is perfect,

I have to say, if you want quality and superb customer service reach out to Dave. You will not be disappointed!

Thanks
EM
Those stainless rod grates will last longer than your Genesis grill. You'll be able to pass them down to future generations! :D

Back in 1993 I bought a Genesis 1000.

I am pretty sure the porcelain coated steel grates did not last three years.

I also was not interested in contacting Weber for replacement, so I went to the local big box store and bought a set of Weber branded replacements in stainless steel.

Those grates are still on the grill and are in great condition- at least 27 years later.

For what it’s worth.

Good point. Maybe @EMatos uses his grill way more or his harsher climate had something to do with it.
I honestly feel they were a bad batch after hearing everyone’s input. I do keep my grill outside 12 months a year and I recognize climate in New England helped corrode them more than say if I lived in Arizona. However I had cheap charbroil grills where I got 5-6 years from the Charbroil porcelain coated cast iron cooking grates with the same environmental conditions and same care. I always knew Charbroil is the close to the bottom of the quality grill line. I thought having seen how my Dads Weber lasted 30+ plus years; that after my $879.00 purchase I’d be fine for 6-10 years before buying parts.. or at least better than those cheap Charbroil grills.

I’m glad I reached out to Dave since, I know those new parts will outlive me cause I’m cheap and hate doing all the buy and throw away as I’ve done for years.

Maybe it was a lemon set.

My 2016 porcelean cast iron grates on the E330 are in great shape.

My mom's 2009 porcelain cast iron on an E320 side control are also in great shape.

YMMV
Agreed 100%. That’s what I’m thinking now from hearing all of your input. I’m calling Weber.

Back