Shakin' my head

Shaye

I've had my 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker almost 11 years. And I could have sworn it was 18.5 incher as the title and not an 18 incher as it is titled today. But it's still cool either way. I love mine, and I'm goin' to upgrade to the 22 incher real soon within the next month or so. But to this day I did not know you could hang the lid on the side of the cooking section hence the name of this thread "shakin' my head" 🤦‍♂️. And I got this idea off one of the threads on here(not my credit). Was gonna get the hinge set but the ca$h they want isn't up to low co$t standards. So my question is, can you hang the 22 incher lid on the side of the cooking chamber on it?

Attachments

• 20210121_082955.jpg
    20210121_082955.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 13
I tried that on mine and it does hold but mines a 2012 model. Weber might of changed handle designs.
I would feel more comfortable with filing a small notch on the underside of the handle, the lid weighs quite a bit more, hence the two handle's.
When the smoker is hot and you have that grease layer on the lip I would worry about it slipping off.

I just now tried it with my 22, an older model. It does work, but seems kinda shakey, not sure if you can depend on it not falling

I tried that on mine and it does hold but mines a 2012 model. Weber might of changed handle designs.
I would feel more comfortable with filing a small notch on the underside of the handle, the lid weighs quite a bit more, hence the two handle's.
When the smoker is hot and you have that grease layer on the lip I would worry about it slipping off.
Hey if not I'll just mount a hook on outside wall and hang it there.

Hey if not I'll just mount a hook on outside wall and hang it there.
Or get an outside table or a metal oil drip pan and set it on that.
I used to use a metal wash tub ( flipped over) to set my 18.5" lid on.

I’m still tinkering with some sort of system for my windscreen for holding the lid, should be a matter of sitting there and looking at it a little with a cocktail until the light goes on! I have a simple idea and will share when I make it happen.

My layout didn’t allow for hanging a hook close by and my 4 legged assistants make the drip pan or tub a no no. I ended up going with the unknown bbq hinge. I don’t regret it. It’s a nice piece but they are proud of it.
Timothy, if I am not mistaken, you posted pics of your windscreen. If it is what I am remembering, a couple bicycle hooks spaced right would let you hang the lid on your windscreen with the handle out.
If I am mistaken about you posting pics. Please forgive.

I just now tried it with my 22, an older model. It does work, but seems kinda shakey, not sure if you can depend on it not falling
Yeah I'll mount a long hook on outside wall and hang it there when I have to take the lid off.

Back