Setting up a wsm in the garage

Been doing it for 20 years in the winter time. I place the WSM right by the garage door opening(I mean right by the opening, couldn't close the door if I wanted to) with the exhaust vents facing the outside and leave the garage door open the entire cook. When the cook is finished I close all the vents and leave the garage door open until the temp and cooker is cold.

As Lew said using a 4x8 sheet of plywood with a hinge so you can store it and use it again. Then you can add your trap over the top for added protection from wind,rain,or snow.

Leave the garage doors cracked open for air flow and hope for the best. Do any of you have thoughts on this.
Without knowing the wind direction you have a good possibility of blowing the fumes back inside which will kill you.
Like Lew I also had a close call and it had nothing to do with a BBQ.
Ya got some garbage cans? set a few up around the WSM and breathe that good clean cold air outside.

View attachment 64256
Saw this too late for your cook, but when I had the WSM I picked up a roll of Reflectrix at a big box and cut to fit for cold weather cooking. It will solve the weather problem.
Hello Mike. That looks great!! If you get a chance take pic all around I like to see how you put it together. I’m have bin wanting to do this for a while. I have seen some on here. But yours looks great!!

View attachment 64256
Saw this too late for your cook, but when I had the WSM I picked up a roll of Reflectrix at a big box and cut to fit for cold weather cooking. It will solve the weather problem.
I'd love to see that after a 50 mph wind day cook. Do people know what 50 mph winds are, and what it would be like to use a wsm in them? The cold is one thing, the wind another, and 50 mph yet another. This is the second thread started that shouldn't even need to be answered by others to be honest. I love to grill, and smoke foods, but.....

I am far from a zero risk guy - BUT. Carbon Monoxide is nothing to mess with. I had a close call with it and it's insidious and deadly. Get a 4X8 sheet of plywood, brace it up, and cook outside. You can split the plywood sheet into two 4X4 sections and join with gate hinges. That gives you a V shaped wind break.
I made a wind block as you describe and it works Great. I have found it to be very stable in wind now I have NEVER used it in 50MPH wind.

Hello Mike. That looks great!! If you get a chance take pic all around I like to see how you put it together. I’m have bin wanting to do this for a while. I have seen some on here. But yours looks great!!
Unfortunately the WSM and that cover are long gone, but it’s easy to make:
Cut a piece of Reflectrix long enough to surround the WSM and allow for an additional 2-3” air space. Tape seam with aluminum tape.
Make 4 equally spaced cuts down from the top, ending just above the WSM top vent.
Fold those tabs down to form a dome, tape seams.
Cut 4 vents near top for air/exhaust. Cut vents at bottom for air intake.
Convince neighbors that Sputnik hasn’t landed in your back yard.

Unfortunately the WSM and that cover are long gone, but it’s easy to make:
Cut a piece of Reflectrix long enough to surround the WSM and allow for an additional 2-3” air space. Tape seam with aluminum tape.
Make 4 equally spaced cuts down from the top, ending just above the WSM top vent.
Fold those tabs down to form a dome, tape seams.
Cut 4 vents near top for air/exhaust. Cut vents at bottom for air intake.
Convince neighbors that Sputnik hasn’t landed in your back yard.
R2D3?

I have a CO2 detector in the garage. I run the garage door 100% open even in below zero weather. I have run it many times but the key is to make sure u got great ventilation.

I really like the Sputnik reference! I like the reflectix jacket idea too. I don’t tend to be the guy out there in “All” the bad weather but, I might make up one of those for “just such an occasion“ as would require it. For the MOST part, the windscreen has served me very well but, if I really get the urge, at 12 degrees, to smoke something that’s a great option!

Back