Serving Pork butt question

Tom A.

TVWBB Member
How do you serve your pulled pork? Do you sauce it before serving? If so, what do you use?

I have been serving the pork with #5 sauce on the side but, I'm thinking that the pork was missing something. Maybe a bit dry. My last batch was made using Mr. Brown recipe.

Anyone have some suggestions?

I use Stubb's Moppin' Sauce before serving/ storing (freezer). Also have it on the side if someone wants to add more.
I've tried other sauces , both homemade and commercial brands... but Stubb's is the one I like most.

I use this as a finishing sauce, just a T or two per handful of pp. I add it during pulling and do so to add continuity to the flavor and texture. I then serve it and other sauces on the side (there isn't much in the pp and it works with other sauces well).

If your pp was a bit dry it was a bit overcooked. A finishing sauce of whatever type can help rescue it.

Before serving, I like to lightly re-season with a sprinkle of rub (including brown sugar), sea salt, fresh cracked pepper, and include all the drippings from the foil finish.
icon_razz.gif
On the table, not the pork, I serve heated Sweet Baby Rays and Sonnys Sweet BBQ sauces
icon_smile.gif

Heating the sauce is a good idea that I never tried.

I usually stir up about 50-75% sweet baby ray's and 25-50% cider vinegar together with a couple shakes of red pepper flakes and use that as a pork finishing sauce.

I inject my butts the night before smoking, & then foil them and toss them in a cooler for a few hours before pulling, the meat comes out pretty moist, but with a nice texture, so I dont need a finishing sauce.

I toss mine on a Hawaiian role and top with some homemade/shredded cole slaw. good to go.

This I what I use after Pulling I put it in a squirt bottle and mix it though
1 1/2 cp ACV
10 tbl ketchup
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 tsp black pepper( table grind)
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tbl white sugar
1/2 cup waster
place in a sauce pan bring to a boil red heat and simmer 5 min cool and Bottle.* if you mix it the day before and refrigerate over night you don't have to cook it.

I figured out what "waster" is
icon_smile.gif

But what's ACV?

Jeff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Craig Mac:
This I what I use after Pulling I put it in a squirt bottle and mix it though
1 1/2 cp ACV
10 tbl ketchup
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 tsp black pepper( table grind)
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tbl white sugar
1/2 cup waster
place in a sauce pan bring to a boil red heat and simmer 5 min cool and Bottle.* if you mix it the day before and refrigerate over night you don't have to cook it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
I use Stubb's Moppin' Sauce before serving/ storing (freezer). Also have it on the side if someone wants to add more.
I've tried other sauces , both homemade and commercial brands... but Stubb's is the one I like most. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've never thought about using that as a finishing sauce.

I will share this, though: Mixing regular Stubbs bbq sauce with a good mustard sauce is FANTASTIC, and is a great idea if someone is trying to watch their sugar. It's my wife's favorite for pulled pork. Right now we have some Loose Lips Larry's honey mustard spicy bbq sauce that worked pretty good with the Stubbs, but if you make the mustard sauce yourself you can avoid the high fructose corn syrup and control the amount of sugar you want. (Stubbs by itself is probably our favorite for beef.)

I smoked my first pulled pork shoulder a couple of weeks ago. The meat came out great. I sauced the whole lot after I pulled it, which I won't do again. It all tasted fine, but it pretty much means all the leftovers will be sammiches too. Next time I'll be smarted so I can have carnitas tacos too!

Peter

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PeteH:
I smoked my first pulled pork shoulder a couple of weeks ago. The meat came out great. I sauced the whole lot after I pulled it, which I won't do again. It all tasted fine, but it pretty much means all the leftovers will be sammiches too. Next time I'll be smarted so I can have carnitas tacos too!

Peter </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We live and learn (with sauce.)

Grillers sauce too early on the grill and get burnt sauce, and smokers find out what the same thick tomato base sauces do to the texture of their pulled pork when they mix it in well before supper time. If you want it saucey, you might try thinning your sauce a good bit with vinegar so it won't ruin the barbecue, sort of turning the sauce into a western North Carolina sauce. I don't though, for the reason you mentioned: leftover options.

I usually serve several sauces on the side and let the guests choose what they like. But I always include the Bastardized Piedmont Sauce from these boards. It's my favorite by a long shot, and has become a favorite of many of my guests.

Back