Seldom Found: Genesis Silver with good bottom

Yes Bruce, it does look easy enough, but those are sometimes my famous last words. I know what you mean about the end handles. I attempted to get the black end caps off a Silver C for my Platinum. I was successful on one side but the other side the end cap broke it was so stuck. I ended up having to buy that one new and was fortunate to find it.

Yikes, I hate having to buy parts like that new.
I have had to cut many of the metal shelf brackets off the handles to keep from ruining the handle. I have also ruined plenty of the handles. But, the handles seem to be harder to come by than the frame extensions that I had to cut off them.

Made my 1st ever attempt at dying a handle black. I was only able to maintain a temp of 169 degrees when 200 degrees is the actual recommendation. Because I was using a tamale pot I flipped the handle every 15 minutes for a total time of an hour, so I am not sure how it will hold up.

Dyed Black Handle.jpg

If the handle looks good when you are done cooking it, it will likely hold up just fine.
Post up an after photo when you get a chance.

@Bruce, the 1st Dyed handle came out nice black and shiny. The 2nd Dyed handle I did came out a dull and chalky. Do you know why that would be.

Dyed Black Handle 1.jpgDyed Black Handlle 2.jpg

I am not sure. These possibilities come to mind right off.
First: You didn't cook them both at the same temp or for the same time.
Second: The dye is breaking down?
Third: The two handles could be made out of somewhat different material, especially seeing that they are different styles.
Fourth: One handle was either more worn (sun damaged) or maybe one wasn't cleaned up ahead of time as well.

Is there are reason you did not cook them both at the same time?

Did you use acetate in the mixture at all? What was the recipe that you used?

Bruce
I cooked the smoother one first. The other style was on the grill. The smoother one has been stored in a closet all this time the rougher one was stored outside exposed to the sun on a shelf. I cooked the smoother one because I had in the house. The rough one I finally went out in the rain and took it off the grill after I dyed the 1st one and it came out so good.
1. So the second one, was exposed to the elements and not the smooth style as the other. (Exposure makes sense)
2. I had already baked the dye with the 1st one for an hour. (Break down makes sense).
3. I do not use acetate.
4. The 1st was wiped down with dawn. The rough one was thoroughly wash with dawn because I notice it seem some what pasty and chalky to begin with.

I always cleaned up all my knobs and handles with straight bleach and then cleaned with a good cleaner and water after. Any grease left behind will give you poor results as well. But, my guess is that it was one was just more worn and UV damaged physically to start with.

Be careful with that stuff in the kitchen. If you have a mishap, you might wind up needing to call the Homeowners Insurance company if you spill it.

Once you wipe each of them down with a good vinyl protectant, they will look even better. The dull one should really benefit from that.

Glad to help Samuel. And thanks for posting up this thread showing your work. I hope others on this list benefit.
I think I will do a large batch of dying parts this spring. I do it outdoors. I nearly had a catastrophe when I did a test batch on the kitchen stove.

I created a stainless bin that is long enough to lay Silver and Genesis 1000 handles in. I can put several in at once along with knobs. It gets pretty expensive and time consuming to do, so I like to do a bunch at once.

Samuel,
That's a pretty cool blend of the old and new. The black handle makes it work all the better. Reminds me of a similar thing I did with a 2-burner late Silver putting a Skyline small hood on it. (I actually had long previously thought of doing what you did with the full-size 3-burner Silver and a larger Skyline hood.)

Silver A and Skyline 2-burner BEFORE.jpeg

Skyline 2 burner JON.jpeg

Someday I plan to replace the handle with one of those old handle lights. Someday...

Samuel,
That's a pretty cool blend of the old and new. The black handle makes it work all the better. Reminds me of a similar thing I did with a 2-burner late Silver putting a Skyline small hood on it. (I actually had long previously thought of doing what you did with the full-size 3-burner Silver and a larger Skyline hood.)

View attachment 84678

View attachment 84677

Someday I plan to replace the handle with one of those old handle lights. Someday...
I thought I traded you one of those old handle lights, like the one on my platinum. What became of it?

Oh, I have several handle lights now. That Skyline Silver A was my daily driver, so I never took the time to swap it out. On my long list is to give that grill a nice makeover. I have a new porcelain drip tray, and the cabinetry is needing some mild rust treatment and a repaint - and add that handle light. Maybe this summer!

I also have everything to make a 3-burner Skyline to replace the one I sold when I move from Florida. Everything, except time...

All these nice photos of dyed handles and knobs gives me thoughts of doing my 2 burner Silver A. Already has as a small blue top, and I had toyed with getting a taller center thermo top for it, but they're getting harder to find. Also thought about finding a handle light as well. The Q I rehabbed came with a battery powered clamp on Weber light, but I couldn't save it due to corrosion. Have a small magnetic one now but a Weber one would be nice. Sometime may get around to it. Doing a deep clean on it this weekend-been using the Q all the time as Bruce had told me I would!

Pretty sure the duller one is made of glass filled epoxy. Not sure what the other one is made of. I think they both look good - just different.

Back