seasoning a new WSM

TeddyC

Greetings,

I'm curious how people have seasoned their smokers. I read a few write ups where people have used bacon and other fatty foods (that they're not going to eat) to season the smoker. The theory is the fatty meats generates grease, which will get on the walls of the smoker which helps condition the unit.

is this fact or fiction?

thanks!

I agree with Stefan. Just start cooking on that bad boy and in a very short time you will have a nice buildup of wonderful gunk on the inside, and that is really what you want.

Another testamonial on the 'just cook on it' method of break in. My 22" WSM has about 8 cooks on it now, seals up nice, and runs steady, constant and loooong. Mine would not extinguish coals after total shut down when new, but it does now.

It's not IF you need to season it, but WHAT kind of seasoning you want building up in the smoker. Supposedly, and I credit championship BBQ wsm master Harry Soo for this tip, you don't want to smoke fish in the same cooker that you cook everything else in. Other than that... :wsm:

We followed master Soo's advice, almost to the letter. Used butts as the source. Ended up with loads of pulled pork, all of which was eaten.

My Seasoning Technique
1. Stage 1 - 5 racks of St. Louis Spare Ribs
2. Stage 2 - 2 Boston Butts and 3 Racks of Baby Backs
3. Stage 3 - Whole mess of chicken wings and other butt
4. Stage 4 - Fully loaded with Chicken Thighs

Its ready of Stage 5 this weekend a nice 12 lb Turkey. Just cook on her and enjoy the wonderful goodies that comes out. Think of it as a reward of all your hard work "seasoning" your new smoker.

Back