Saturday WSM Smoke - Pork Butt

Erik Tracy

TVWBB Pro
I smoked up a 7.3lb pork butt Saturday on my 18.5WSM with good results.

Bought it Friday at my local Stater Brothers for 1.99/lb, bone in

It didn't need much trimming, so I got most of the butt as edible returns.

Slathered with French's Honey Mustard, then a very liberal dosing of my own rub of brown sugar, garlic salt, black pepper, white pepper, Old Bay, chipotle chili powder, onion powder. Set up overnight.

porkbutt-rubbed-7-19-20.jpg

Saturday morning is was meat out at 5:45am for meat on at 6:30am.

WSM was set up as KBB 3/4 full minion load, 3 chunks each of pecan and hickory buried, bowl in, no water. Chimney was started at 6:15am with 24 KBBs and poured at 6:30am.

Meat went on right after with my Maverick meat probe dead center. Vents at 50/50/50. I always run my top vent at 100 all the time.

After that is was monitor the WSM temp and meat temp. I use the dome temp as my guide and went for 250F as my target temp. So, aside from some minor fiddling with the vents to 'catch' 250F on the way up, it was let it ride.

I did spray the meat 3 times with just plain water at 9am, 11am and 2pm.

Meat got to an internal temp of 203F at 3:45pm. Butt was removed, wrapped and put in my oven (off) to rest for pulling/serving at 4:30pm

Bone came out clean and it was a tender pull.
porkbutt-boneout-7-19-20.jpg

Good bark, good pork to rub to smoke balance. Very pleased with the results.

Not pictured because I was lazy and the family hungry: fresh garden salad, potato salad, and garlic fries.

Thanks guys!

I'm building up my confidence to have another go at a brisket - it's been my nemesis to get right. :cautious:

Back