Saturday Pork Butt

Todd NC

TVWBB Pro
In the four weeks I've had my WSM I've had the opportunity to smoke a chicken (pulled too soon but still had good flavor), baby back ribs (tasted mighty fine to me), and today I tried my first pork butt. Did a Minion start with KBB at about 06:30 with the butt going on at 07:00. Kept the WSM pretty steady around 260 or so for about 5-6 hours then the temps started to drop. I probably just needed to knock the ash off but I ended up tossing in some lump and partially burned KBB. I'll know next time.

Pulled off at about 3:30 pm when the butt hit 195. Probe went in like butter. Foiled and put in cooler for about 1 1/2 hours.

Overall the pork was really good but some pieces of the bark had a slightly off, bitter taste. Not sure if I put the butt on too soon or maybe it was from the re-fueling mid-smoke. Not sure but I'll plan differently next time.

Anyway, here are some pics.

6 1/2 Lb Butt rubbed with some Kansas City style rub, Turbinado sugar added
9112679146_cb564a661a.jpg

About 6 hours in
9110454309_20af7b0e66.jpg

Time to pull off
9112675130_aed32b8c6b.jpg

And what better way to wait out the resting time than by sipping one of my favorite beers.
9110450273_44d65a2a64.jpg

And pulled. The flavor was good aside from the few pieces that had the somewhat bitter taste. I'd still take it over much of the restaurant pulled pork I've had.
9112670910_6aa0787c31.jpg

Overall this smoke worked out well and I've learned a few things for next time. I hope you all have a great weekend.

If the bitter taste came from your refuel op, the only thing I can offer is to fill the ring with charcoal. You shouldn't have to add more on a butt cook. If you have unburned charcoal leftover after a cook you can close all the vents to kill the fire and add it to fresh next time.

BTW - the finished product looks excellent.

If the bitter taste came from your refuel op, the only thing I can offer is to fill the ring with charcoal.

Dwain,
Thanks for the input. I did start with a full ring, maybe not packed but full. I'll see what happens next time. Thanks for the comments.

Todd

Back