Santa Maria Roast Beef

Rich Dahl

R.I.P. 7/21/2024
Had a tri tip lurking in the freezer that I got out of the meat departments dog food section.
Ran across a recipe for it that I wanted to try, Santa Maria Roast Beef. The rub looked really interesting so I made the rub after cutting it in half and I still have enough to do another roast.

Covered the TT with it, wrapped it in plastic wrap and in the fridge for 24 hours.

Fired up the performer with a chunk of red oak and a chunk of cherry. Cooked indirect for about an hour to an IT of 135. Let it rest while we finished up the taters and sprouts.
The TT was really good with just a small amount of heat (I only used a half table spoon of Cayenne.)
Also next time I make the rub I’ll use smoked paprika.

Stay safe101_6226.JPG

101_6236.JPG

101_6240.JPG

101_6241.JPG

101_6245.JPG

101_6252.JPG

That TT looks delicious - looks like you nailed it. But I'm gonna need some deets on those sides, as they look equally delicious.

Man that looks good, Rich!! I have to say that I really like the thickness of your slices, too. :) If you have a chance, would love to see more details on that rub. Looks like a healthy amount of paprika from the color.....

R

Had a tri tip lurking in the freezer that I got out of the meat departments dog food section.
Ran across a recipe for it that I wanted to try, Santa Maria Roast Beef. The rub looked really interesting so I made the rub after cutting it in half and I still have enough to do another roast.

Covered the TT with it, wrapped it in plastic wrap and in the fridge for 24 hours.

Fired up the performer with a chunk of red oak and a chunk of cherry. Cooked indirect for about an hour to an IT of 135. Let it rest while we finished up the taters and sprouts.
The TT was really good with just a small amount of heat (I only used a half table spoon of Cayenne.)
Also next time I make the rub I’ll use smoked paprika.

Stay safeView attachment 21200

View attachment 21201

View attachment 21202

View attachment 21204

View attachment 21205

View attachment 21206
Looks perfect!!

Man that looks good, Rich!! I have to say that I really like the thickness of your slices, too. :) If you have a chance, would love to see more details on that rub. Looks like a healthy amount of paprika from the color.....

R
Here ya go Rich

Santa Maria Roast Beef

Ingredients
4 tablespoons paprika
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon white pepper
1 tablespoon celery salt
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon pepper
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground mustard
1 beef tri-tip roast or beef sirloin tip roast (2 to 3 pounds)
2 cups soaked hickory wood chips or chunks
2 tablespoons canola oil

Directions
Combine the first 11 ingredients; rub desired amount over roast. Wrap and refrigerate overnight. Store leftover dry rub in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
Remove roast from the refrigerator 1 hour before grilling. Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Add wood chips according to manufacturer’s directions.
Unwrap roast and brush with oil; place over drip pan. Grill, covered, over medium-low indirect heat for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°). Let stand for 10-15 minutes before slicing.

Rich and Barb,
That whole meal looks so good. I am glad to see you are getting the use out of that performer while you can. I love the final color/doneness/temp you got on that tri tip, I really feel like I undercooked both the tri tips I have cooked. I have one in the frig for tomorrow night and I want to make sure I get it to 135 before I pull it. That cutting board shot is pretty impressive.

Back