Salt Block seared Porterhouse

Buddy of mine got one of these. Didn’t have much feed back so I assumed he was unimpressed. How do you like it?

I enjoy it. You have to heat it slow so using a completely full large chimney: set the charcoal baskets outside the block and keep the lid off ~10 min, then put the lid on ~10 min, then slide the baskets halfway under the block ~10 min, then slide the baskets completely under the block ~10 min. The sizzle is awesome and the sear speaks for itself.

The salt transfer is not as pronounced as I prefer my seasoning so I season the food prior to searing. I used SPOG tonight.

I enjoy it. You have to heat it slow so using a completely full large chimney: set the charcoal baskets outside the block and keep the lid off ~10 min, then put the lid on ~10 min, then slide the baskets halfway under the block ~10 min, then slide the baskets completely under the block ~10 min. The sizzle is awesome and the sear speaks for itself.

The salt transfer is not as pronounced as I prefer my seasoning so I season the food prior to searing. I used SPOG tonight.
Thanks for sharing Dwain, the steak looks great! I was curious about these but after reading I'm going to stick with my cast iron.

I lot of BBQ folks love their soapstone for getting great sears as well, but I've never seen the risk of breakage etc as being worth it TBH as I already get amazing sears on my 3/8" thick grilling steel for scallops, steaks, burgers etc.

Awesome cook Dwain. How hot would you guess the salt slab got? 400? 500? >500?

Back