Safeway San Ramon CA

Andy Kaminski

TVWBB Pro
$9.45 for a pound of 93/7 ground beef.
I went in today to get some lean ground beef for our chili cook and was shocked.

No way.
I just couldn’t bring myself to do it.

I just can’t believe that I can no longer afford ground beef.
We ended up with ground turkey at 1/4 the price.
I will see if this works.

I might try to grind my own with the top sirloin that they have in the weekly special section next time.

These prices are getting old.

Don't know about there, but Safeway here is outrageous. The only time I shop there is when they have good sales and I only buy the sale items. Even worse, is that the produce at Walmart is a lot nicer than Safeway and often close to half the price.

$9.45 for a pound of 93/7 ground beef.
I went in today to get some lean ground beef for our chili cook and was shocked.

No way.
I just couldn’t bring myself to do it.

I just can’t believe that I can no longer afford ground beef.
We ended up with ground turkey at 1/4 the price.
I will see if this works.

I might try to grind my own with the top sirloin that they have in the weekly special section next time.

These prices are getting old.
Cheaper to pick up a prime brisket at CostCo and grind it up...and you can cook down the fat trimmings for tallow. :)

That's a crazy price for ground beef, Andy!

Has someone done this with brisket? If so, and you trim the obvious fat, like, the hard stuff, whats the ratio ? I would guess its no more that 70/30. Ya think?

Has someone done this with brisket? If so, and you trim the obvious fat, like, the hard stuff, whats the ratio ? I would guess its no more that 70/30. Ya think?
Yeah, I've done it quite a few times. Never really tried to guess fat to lean, but have at it.....the brisket is on the left in this photo....

1647832430922.png

I wait till chuck roast is on sale, then I buy it and grind it. The local Raleys had chuck roast on sale for $3.97/lb. Got and ground 4 lbs.
My grind is much coarser than store bought. Wife and I prefer it that way.

I grind brisket or a mix of brisket and top sirloin or round for burger meat and shoot for~80/20. It's easy enough to drain some of the grease off when using in things other than burgers.

I don't buy ground beef (well packaged ground beef) anymore. Though we do have a tiny little store with a butcher shop in it here in our village and he will fresh grind chuck for me to any quantity I like at the cost of the meat. Otherwise I only grind my own

We rarely use ground beef except to spice up the dog's meal, but we've moved to chicken mostly for that. So, I don't keep track of prices. But $9/lb is crazy.

With Barb working at Safeway she gets a pretty hefty discount so when chucks on sale we get it for about $2.65 a pound. I just bought a dedicated meat grinder and I can grind 4-5 pounds in under 4 minuets. We retired the Kitchen Aid mixer as a meat grinder. Only used the new grinder 3 or 4 times but it's 10 times faster than the Kitchen Aid was.

I am slowly moving permanently to our spot in Washington.
We will need a decent grinder and vac sealer among a wad of other stuff.

My northern friends have invited me to their muzzy Elk camp and they limit so that will reduce some costs any ways.

How do you guys guesstimate your fat percentage?
I just eyeball.
That’s the best I know how to do.

GF family grew up without groind beef. If they wanted it, they had to grind steak. Why do that. So I got used to all the reasons why. But making certain dishes with very lean eye of round is hard. Chili, sloppy,...

Back