Safeway San Ramon CA

I usually pay close attention to meat prices but apparently I do need to be a bit more diligent.

We ended up using 50% ground Turkey and 50% of some 80/20 I had.
We use our home canned veggies and the Carrol Shelby chili mix and you could not taste the Turkey at all.

I’m not sure if any of you have tried the Carrol Shelby Chili mix but it’s the best spice pack for Chili base I’ve ever had.
We like to add a bunch of goodies to it and slow cook the heck out of it.
Tried some CS chili last night. Used 2# of ground brisket/sirloin ~80:20, a big yellow onion, a can of Hunts tomato sauce and a can of kidney beans. You're right Andy, that's a really nice spice mix.

Hey Bob,
Can I ask you some meat grinding questions ?

#1,
If you trim off the hard fat cap off a brisket and mix with a top sirloin you get about 80/20 right?
Would that number change much if I took the point out for a burnt end dinner?

#2,
Do you mess with the fat content of a pork shoulder when you grind for breakfast sausage?

Thanks, I appreciate it 👍

Hey Bob,
Can I ask you some meat grinding questions ?

#1,
If you trim off the hard fat cap off a brisket and mix with a top sirloin you get about 80/20 right?
Would that number change much if I took the point out for a burnt end dinner?

#2,
Do you mess with the fat content of a pork shoulder when you grind for breakfast sausage?

Thanks, I appreciate it 👍
Hard to say what % you'd end up with either way because the fat content can vary so much from one brisket to another. Usually I need to add back some of the fat trimmings when I grind it. I do separate the point and trim off most of the deckel fat before cutting up to grind, so the fat content shouldn't change much with or without the point.

About the only time a shoulder requires any trimming is if it has a really thick fat cap. I find that 8 to 10 pounders in Cryovac usually work best without trimming. I like 25 to 30% fat for sausage.

Once it's been cut up before grinding it's much easy to guestimate the fat ratio of either a brisket or shoulder. Sorry I can't be more specific but it's mostly a visual thing.

Back