Sad news about Lew Newby Sr from Facebook post

Bob Erdman

TVWBB Pro
Some sad news to report.
Our friend and a wonderful admin of our group, Lew Newby Sr passed away yesterday, Friday January 26, 2024.
I was informed by Lew's son, Lew, that Lew Sr passed away Friday. What a wonderful person who I never met. Heaven will be so much more brighter with him there.

I am truly saddened to read this news of Lew’s passing.

Lew was an incredibly kind person with a love of bbq, cooking and smoking. He was a positive influence on all who he met and interacted with.

Lew, you are missed here already. May your family be comforted by the many wonderful memories you all shared together.

Lew was awesome! When he first started posting I thought he was being funny and saying he was a Newby to BBQ. 😀

He loved his SmokeFire and he fought to make sure everyone knew what it could do.

Lew once sent me a PM saying he wasn’t doing well and it was my turn to take up the fight for the SF. I remember being sad then. Yet he sure kept on posting and making sure the SF got its due.

His daughter wrote a cookbook about all the varieties of foods across the US, each state had a few recipes. He asked if he could send me a copy and I was honored. He signed and wrote a very nice note, he had sponsored the book and had a credit in the beginning. My boys loved reading through it and I always wanted to cook some things from it and post them on here. With young boys it always seemed we didn’t have enough time.

I know how much he enjoyed his time with his grand kids and it looked like he lived a full life.

We will miss you Lew!

Thoughts and prayers with his family.

Last edited:
I’m going to grab it today and post the info. I think you guys would really like it and I know Joan will 😍. I’m just disappointed I didn’t post it sooner.
Oops... I forgot that you may have said it wasn't at your temporary residence. Maybe you can share it with us at a convenient time.

So sad to hear this news. I totally respected Lew’s knowledge and opinions and learned a lot from many of his posts. I will miss his contributions.

Back