Rubs and overnight storage

Chris Brusca

How important is it to let a rub rest on meat overnight before smoking it? I normally just put the rub on my meats before smoking but after allowing the meat to get to almost room temp first. Trying to see if it makes that much if a difference.

I generally don't let it sit overnight, but will let it sit until the meat "sweats" into the rub.

Thanks Jason. I use mustard slather too which seems to help. Thinking of ftryin an injection ... this would by my first on pork shoulder. Smokin' tonight!

These days I don't use a binder at all,, just a personal preference. I see the mustard used a lot. In the past I have also used Heinz 57 with good results. I do however subscribe to the "colder meat creates a better smoke ring" train of thought. I never let meat get to room temp,,, unless we're grilling steaks. But again, just a personal preference, there are many "right way's" in BBQ.

I agree with Jason. When I am smoking, I always put the meat on cold. I also believe it helps with the smoke ring. As for the rub, I always want it to be on the meat for at least a few hours in the fridge if not overnight. Steak is probably the exception but this has always been my process. Hope this helps.

I use mustard for my pork where I usually get a little more fancy with my rub. I typically don't bother with brisket. I'm not sure it matters all that much. The only reason to leave it on overnight is just to get a dry brine effect. The salt will soak in but nothing else will. It's one of those things that has an effect but it's pretty minor, certainly not a necessity. I like injecting my pork butts lately. I use the Chris Lilly Championship injection. The recipe is on the virtual weber bullet site.

I do let a rub rest, sometimes for as much as two days. Not always. I agree with the cold start unless it's steak too. The best I did was a two day rest and a half day smoke, two different rubs on two fairly big butts. "I like big butts and, I do not lie...."

Great feedback guys, thanks so much. I was always under the impression that you don't put cold meat on a grill or smoker. I'll try it tonight though.

About cold meat I am in. It helps in prolonging meat temp window useful for smoke ring and chemical reactions (below 140 F).
About rubbing IMO it depends on how much salt is in your rub.
First I would specify that salting in advance meat helps for chemical reaction and moistness (water retencion).
But, if the meat is thin like ribs are, too much in advance will dry it.
For thick pieces of meat there is no problem.
So, I usually rub ribs 1 hour before and then back in the fridge.
For packer brisket 2-3 hours in advance for salt and rub.
For boston butt 3-4 hours in advance.

Back