Rubbery ribs??

Corey Elks

TVWBB All-Star
225 degrees. 3 2 1 method. St louis cut pork ribs. The last two times I did these they came out kind of rubbery to me Foiled empty water pan. Ribs were tender bite through I just don't understand why they are coming out robbery. Any ideas? Thanks these were cooked in a 18 inch Wsm

Several things come to mind:

1. Do you trim any fat off the ribs? I do.
2. Dry pan? Water adds humidity to the smoker.
3. Do you foil the ribs? I always foil. I also add 1/4 C apple juice to the foil.
4. Do you pull the ribs based on the bend test? No one I know cooks ribs to temp, but I do. I cook mine to a min 200F. I figure if it works for butts (which I take to 205F), it should work for ribs. It does.

Other people's opinions will probably differ, but I can only comment on what I know works for me.

have to say, I'm kind of confused as to what you mean by "rubbery" since you also say that the ribs were tender to bite through.

Kinda hard to explain. They came off bone easily but when chewing kinda like chewing on fat. Idk could have been the slab. Ya ya ya definitely not the pitmaster had to be the meat😃😃😃

Seems like my last batch (St. Louis) was under-cooked and rubbery of sorts too. I used water in the pan though - I think.

Ain't ribs supposed to fall off the bones if done right?

3-2-1 method is usually 3 hrs on the WSM @ 275. Then foil for 2 hrs w/some liquid added, then 1 hr out of the foil. Alot of variations on that method like 2-1-1 but the higher temps renders the fat on spares.

Tim

3-2-1 method is usually 3 hrs on the WSM @ 275. Then foil for 2 hrs w/some liquid added, then 1 hr out of the foil. Alot of variations on that method like 2-1-1 but the higher temps renders the fat on spares.

Tim

Fruit juice or cider spritz?

Did you foil them during the cook? That can make the crust rubbery. Or did you foil them during the rest? That too can make them rubbery

I did 3 2 1. So foiled for 2 hours. Crust wasnt rubbery meat was
Could have just been a bad batch of ribs. You should try just running the ribs without foiling. I used to do all that 3,2,1 stuff and it's a lot like work. Just let them ride at 225 for about the same amount of time and you'll get nice crusty fall off the bone ribs. No water in the bowl if you're using a WSM

Back