Rotisserie

I would little to no desire to cook one of those. I would prefer to experience the taste of each bird separately and it seems like the skin on the chicken and duck wouldn't come out too well.

Getting back to chickens, I’m spinning one right now. In my effort to come up with a non basting method this one was brined then I let some vinegar soak into the skin before sprinkling Adobo on it. Trussed and now it spins. The MEATER lets me cook it from inside the house without opening the lid. More to come ...

This one got a little botched:

dibbW7G.jpg
[/IMG]

What happened was we had a guest arriving at a certain time, and when he was close, I was trying to "crisp up" the skin. I ended up igniting the juices in the drip tray, and they burned the skin a bit. We still ate it, and they said it was great, but I know it was not my best bird.

Oops!

Did you have a pan under it with a little water in it? Did you have only the front and/or rear burners on?

Once in a while we get a little over anxious and we can make a mistake like a little fire like that. If you catch it in time not a really bad thing

Yeah, that is exactly what happened. I did have a drip pan (well really one of my tin foil "pans") but the mistake was shooting the temps up to over 450 for the last few minutes of the cook to try and "crisp up" the skin. That is where I lit the grease. I was using the front and rear burners, not the middle one, but it still lit on fire. It just burnt the trussing and the ends of the drumsticks, not too horrible. Plus I caught it, if I hadn't noticed it would have likely done a lot more damage, if not ruined the cook!

THyde:
Really consider a remote thermometer for your grill. I have the Thermoworks Smoke and while I don't part with $100 easily, I spent it out of my rehab profits and am very happy that I did. You can set the temp for a given range and place the thermometer anywhere in the grill you want so you can get very accurate temps right at meat level. Then it makes it really easy to dial in the desired temp on the grill. Then, you set the thermometer for high and low readings and if the temps get outside that range, it sounds an alarm. With the remote, you can be inside the house snatching cookie dough all the time monitoring the grill temps. If there is a grease fire, the temps will rise very quickly and sound the alarm and you can react in plenty of time to solve the problem.

Tomorrow, I will be inside watching football games while the turkey on the rotisserie is outside in 30 degree weather and I will not have to worry about running out of gas or grease fires or anything like going on for extended periods of time. The remote will let me know right away if something is amiss. That is so nice, whether doing a 4 hour turkey or a 12 hour brisket. I don't have to sit out next to the grill the whole time to make sure the temps are holding either up or down.

There are several companies that make similar products an prices vary, but I really like my Thermoworks Smoke. I think something like that is worth a spot on your Christmas list. I think the Smoke is worth a line on your Christmas list. I think they will be on sale for 10% off on Black Friday as will many other brands and models, I am sure.

Bruce, if you look carefully at the bird, you will see a Meater hanging out of it. I'm down with the remote thermometer!

Stefan: Nice bird!

Thyde;
Yah, that Meater is a great device for the rotisserie. However, being burried in the bird, it would take a long time before a flare up registered on it and that would mean your bird is blacker than a crow. You need the other type of probe that measures the internal grill temp, not the internal meat temp to accurately and quickly detect a flare up or other problem.

I have come close to pulling the trigger on the Meater a couple times. I love to cook on my roto and that is the only kind of meat thermometer that will work with a roto unless you want to keep opening up the hood and checking it manually.

The Meater measures the internal meat temperature AND the temp inside the grill Bruce. The temperature did spike when the grease lit, but for some reason I noticed it by being outside.

Oh, I didn't realize it measured both. That is cool. But, does it allow you to set temp ranges and then sound an alarm if it varies out of that range?

Yes. It has an "app" that you install on your phone. It's pretty much the ultimate meat thermometer I think because it measures "ambient" (inside the grill) temperature, the temperature inside the meat, and it calculates how much time remains for your particular cook. You program in what you are cooking and it calculates the time remaining. You can look at a graph of your temps and everything. It's a really cool thermometer. And with bluetooth, its range is good enough for me to monitor the temps from inside the house. You can opt to put it in the cloud and I guess go to the grocery store and still monitor, but I don't use that part. You can set all kinds of alarms, from temps to time before meat is ready. It's pretty versatile.

Back