Rotisserie Crispy Skin

I was back and forth between the smoke fire and roto. I've been following this thread and bam! It cooked faster than I thought but that's better than late.

Goal was 400. Took some fine tuning but settled in around 400. Love the meater. Front burner on full, middle burner off and back burner around medium or so. Temp around 30 this morning and windy!

At the pot luck last night there were 2 turkeys. One fried and other oven baked. Both really good. We came home with more food than we brought;-) One of our better Thanksgivings.

I did my first rotisserie in a couple of decades after reading this thread, using the turbo trusser and the meater thermometer. For the first hour everything worked great I kept the temperature right around 400 then the meater lost contact, everything I tried I could not reconnect. So I stuck a old manual meat thermometer in the chicken and it ended up coming out very good. Anyone else having connection issues? This is on a 2005 genesis platinum, and I have the Meater +

Last edited:
I did my first rotisserie in a couple of decades after reading this thread, using the turbo trusser and the meater thermometer. For the first hour everything worked great I kept the temperature right around 400 then the meater lost contact, everything I tried I could not reconnect. So I stuck a old manual meat thermometer in the chicken and it ended up coming out very good. Anyone else having connection issues? This is on a 2005 genesis platinum, and I have the Meater +
Nice - I have the Meater Block and usually works fine as long as it is charged it keeps the connection.

That is cool!

I don't even have the meater+, just the regular one. I've noticed it has to be charged as good as possible, and for me that means really scrubbing the "cap" on the end, making sure it's a good electrical contact for the charger, the shaft is important to clean too for the same reason but for me the cap gets grease burned onto it, so I scrub it good with a green scrubbie. Then it charges properly and I can watch the whole cook.

If it's not charged good, for me it loses transmission abilities then goes dead, so it does sound like you need to charge it good. I'd scrub all the steel too, just to give it the best charge possible.

Spinning one tonight. 20211205_182710.jpg

The Meaters don't agree on temps ... 20211205_183408.jpg
Running front and back on high, with only five Flav bars. I removed six of the eight on the second row.

Lid temp...

20211205_183640.jpg

Pulled the potato and onions out and turned the center burner on med to speed things up.

20211205_190805.jpg

Almost forgot to take a Pic.
20211205_193431.jpg
20211205_191933.jpg
20211205_194157.jpg

It was cooked perfectly. I'm the only one that eats skin so that was a treat for the cook while carving.

And I cooked a few thighs for lunches during the week on the kettle.

20211205_183911.jpg

Dan that looks incredible! I might have to do a pan of potatoes and onions soon, I've gotten away from that. Tonight I will make a chicken though, with the new receptacle so NO extension cord finally!

I gotta figure out how to get the meater readout on my computer screen like that, is there a way to leave the phone outside and then get that going on the computer inside?

As you can see, I studied computer science in college .....

@THyde Thanks for the nice words. The chicken was tasty, and the potatoes were also delicious. They needed 2 mins in the microwave with the lid on to finish them. I pulled them so they didn't burn. After that just some butter, salt and pepper.

The Meater app runs on a android tablet in landscape display mode. It works well as I leave it within range of my grilling area and it is big enough to see fairly easily.

My tablet is an amazon fire HD 10 ( currently $99 link below). Not a high-end tablet yet it is decent. A word of caution on the amazon tablets is that out of the box they only work with the amazon app store, however it is well documented how to enable google play so any app can be installed.

Dan, thank you for the information. I think my meater is messed up, it's a few years old and now it keeps telling me the ambient temperature is over 800 after a while. The top part of it is coming loose too, the "cap" I clean so thoroughly, per their instructions.

Perhaps I'll reach out to them to see what they say. I do love the Meater, the time remaining is so brilliant.

And yes, I made a roto bird tonight with the new receptacle and it was amazing, cooking it, eating it, cleaning up afterwards. We had some rain during the cook, which normally would have put mud all over me as I coiled up an extension cord. No more!

For those who have had the ultimate fantasy: two at a time!

Does it take longer to cook two chickens on the rotisserie at the same time compared to cooking just one chicken?

I'm planning to make a "Chuck Lemon" and a "Peruvian" on Christmas day, and I have never done two at a time before.

Does it take longer?

Back