Rotisserie Crispy Skin

For those who have had the ultimate fantasy: two at a time!

Does it take longer to cook two chickens on the rotisserie at the same time compared to cooking just one chicken?

I'm planning to make a "Chuck Lemon" and a "Peruvian" on Christmas day, and I have never done two at a time before.

Does it take longer?
I agree with Larry - I did not notice an increase in time. Depending on size of chickens and temp of the grill it usually takes between 1 and 1.5 hours usually for rotisserie chickens to finish cooking.

Not really at all. Not that I have noticed. Grills are not like microwave ovens
Evidently, YMMV. I noticed that it does take longer. I've only doubled up on a whole chicken once so I'm not an expert, but I went into it thinking it wouldn't take any longer, but it sure did. Does it take longer to cook 20lbs of protein vs 10lbs? Common sense seems to say that it does (or does it? I dunno. I don't have much common sense :)). I was so enthused about dry brined whole chicken that I cooked one for us and one for our daughter...dinner was late that night. Again, YMMV...and it might depend on whether the chicken is cold or at room temp when put on the spit...ours was right out of the fridge, so that might be an issue.

These were 5.5# whole chickens, identical in weight. Apart from taking longer to cook than anticipated, everything came out well. I could not reach 425F ambient with the front burner alone, and with the middle burner on Lo I had to back off on the front burner. I ended up at around 435F, as I remember. This is the text message I sent to her on 12/3:

I figured dinner time based on 1 chicken not realizing that 2 chickens would take twice as long. DOH! Chicken will be ready around 7:00ish.

That was based on what MEATER told me, which was nearly dead on.

Last edited:
OK, well we have a wide range of "when the food should be served" so even if it takes longer, it's OK. I'm telling myself that. Plus, my Meater is out of commission, so I have to use a regular thermometer and estimate. I'll allow almost two hours, but plan for one and a half. We'll have meatballs pasta and bread so it will be OK. I think there is a plan to throw a salad in the garbage on the 26th too. Nobody ever eats those.

OK, well we have a wide range of "when the food should be served" so even if it takes longer, it's OK. I'm telling myself that. Plus, my Meater is out of commission, so I have to use a regular thermometer and estimate. I'll allow almost two hours, but plan for one and a half. We'll have meatballs pasta and bread so it will be OK. I think there is a plan to throw a salad in the garbage on the 26th too. Nobody ever eats those.
My MEATER is wonky with ambient, as I've noted earlier. I was going to post the graph, but the ambient is all over the map. Anyway, it took 1 hr. 44 minutes to reach 167F. One chicken, on Nov. 7, took 60 minutes. Those are the facts. Gotta love the MEATER!

But wait! There's more! On Nov.1, it took 1h22m, and on July 26, it took 1h22m. Those two cooks were before I learned about dry brining, so moisture content definitely has an impact.

I read a review about the MEATER some time ago and it discussed why the ambient sensor was so inaccurate...it has to do with being located so close to the protein that it is influenced by it if it is much colder than ambient. Anyway, I went looking for the article and came across a new-to-me wireless thermometer called the MeatStick. Hmmm.

I might leave the birds out for an hour or two in the morning so they are not as cold at the start. Problem is, the dog doesn’t have a “cooked” vs. “raw” preference so I’d have to put them somewhere weird to do that.

I will update the Christisserie Chicken time and now I need to look up that other thermometer!
This guy has much respect in the BGE community. It's a very comprehensive review.

Think I'm going to be in for 1! I've got enough points at Amazon and I can get it tomorrow in time for ham at Christmas...

EDIT: Bought it. 30-day Money Back Guarantee and the fact that the company has a SoCal presence put me over the top. Also that the raw data is available in some form or another gives me hope that maybe Bryan can add HeaterMeter support for it.

Last edited:
I might leave the birds out for an hour or two in the morning so they are not as cold at the start. Problem is, the dog doesn’t have a “cooked” vs. “raw” preference so I’d have to put them somewhere weird to do that.
I would put them in the microwave or the oven...gotta be careful because if your family is used to turning on the oven without looking first...I put a piece of painter's tape over the control knob when something is in the oven. You shouldn't turn on an empty microwave so it's not a problem in my house.

I would put them in the microwave or the oven...gotta be careful because if your family is used to turning on the oven without looking first...I put a piece of painter's tape over the control knob when something is in the oven. You shouldn't turn on an empty microwave so it's not a problem in my house.
If I put one in the microwave then what would I do with the fake turkey that we keep in there? Remember when they first came out, and in the stores they had those fake entire turkeys in them, as though people make entire turkeys in the microwave?

I often wonder what happened to all of those fake turkeys.

Seriously though, I could just leave them out in the basement. The dog is afraid to go down (or up) the stairs, so he stays on the first floor.

If I put one in the microwave then what would I do with the fake turkey that we keep in there? Remember when they first came out, and in the stores they had those fake entire turkeys in them, as though people make entire turkeys in the microwave?

I often wonder what happened to all of those fake turkeys.

Seriously though, I could just leave them out in the basement. The dog is afraid to go down (or up) the stairs, so he stays on the first floor.
I love dogs. Our dog is nearly blind from cataracts and is quite mystified by it, but he still tries to follow me everywhere and is always woofing (it's more like a "chuff" because he knows I don't like him barking in the house) at me for "family time"...cuddling up on the loveseat with me and the wife under a comforter in front of the TV. He loves my wife even more than he does me! Dogs are so much more loyal and so much more noble than humans and get treated like royalty in our house.

Yeah, our dog is my wife's dog definitely. That's OK, he's a nice boy. He's our first family dog, an enormous standard poodle. He's 78 pounds! Very affectionate, he will nudge you to pet him. Jack does bark really, really loudly at other dogs outside a lot, but I guess he's just doing his job. I keep trying to tell him "that's not necessary" but I think he might speak another language. He got some leftover sausage tonight with his dinner. Our routine is that he gets our leftovers the next day, so this way he doesn't beg for food while we're eating. But he's so tall that if we leave food out, he can't help but try some, hence the meat challenges. He knows he's not supposed to do that, but it's almost like he can't help himself. I can't really blame him to be honest.

Years ago we had a dog that would get sick if he ate more than a teaspoon sized bite of pork, I mean sick! So, he knew to avoid it. One holiday afternoon my Mom was doing something upstairs, brother had gone to see friends and my dad and I had to run an errand. We had left probably half a ham (LARGE) on the counter. Suffice to say by the time Dad and I got back there was nothing but the bone virtually licked clean with a few tooth marks!
the dog was looking very very guilty but, simply farted and curled up in front of the fireplace and slept the rest of the day! My dad was so mad but, all we could do was laugh. The dog was happy to go out later but, not a bit sick. Dad was hoping he’d be at least a little miserable but, nooooo.
Merry Christmas!

Yeah, our dog is my wife's dog definitely. That's OK, he's a nice boy. He's our first family dog, an enormous standard poodle. He's 78 pounds! Very affectionate, he will nudge you to pet him. Jack does bark really, really loudly at other dogs outside a lot, but I guess he's just doing his job. I keep trying to tell him "that's not necessary" but I think he might speak another language. He got some leftover sausage tonight with his dinner. Our routine is that he gets our leftovers the next day, so this way he doesn't beg for food while we're eating. But he's so tall that if we leave food out, he can't help but try some, hence the meat challenges. He knows he's not supposed to do that, but it's almost like he can't help himself. I can't really blame him to be honest.
Back right after my parents moved us out of Chicago to Moron (Morton) Grove (FWFW I never did forgive them for that), I was a freshman in HS, my brother was still not much more than a "little guy" as there is about 9 years difference between us. He was out riding bikes with some of his little buds. The folks from down the street 2 polish sisters that barely spoke English had a standard poodle. He saw my brother and the little guys ride past and became quite aggressive (excited?) and jumped right through a picture window to get after them. Cut himself quite badly. Blood everywhere. I guess it cut a tendon in his leg and he was kinda crippled and could not catch them. Anyway the ladies had to put him down. I've never seen anything like that before or since. Not a commentary on poodles as I know they're excellent dogs just on how powerful those large standards can be

Back