Rotisserie Crispy Skin

Yep, people hear “Poodle” and think little happy things. Standards are really fine dogs! Serious gun dogs, smart, eager to please I’ve known a couple and they were the most congenial pets ever. Once you were “Okayed” that is.

I have a dog right now that eats anything and everything. I won't even get into all the stuff he gets into an eats. Big pain in the butt believe me.

Yeah, we have learned a lot about poodles in the five plus years we've had this guy. The small ones are a different animal altogether. I've started looking at small dogs in general differently too. I think a lot of people don't train their small dogs enough, lots of them will jump on you and have behavior that would just not work with a big dog. Our dog, being big, we don't let him jump on people, but he definitely does a thorough sniff investigation on new people who come over. He's not a food stealer really either, just that if I leave out, say, a delicious rotisserie chicken, even on the kitchen counter, he's so tall that his face is at counter level. He gets very very tempted, and he knows he's not supposed to do it. Very smart guy, very large and yes, he "protects" us all day long from such clear threats as other dogs getting walked down our street, and serious threats like deliveries of mail and packages. Definitely approves people and I don't think he would jump out the window but sometimes I'm surprised more dogs generally speaking don't!

The other thing we like about the standard is that he doesn't leave fur everywhere. In fact, he doesn't leave it anywhere. They don't have "fur" it's more like "hair". And it's curly, if you let it get too long and don't brush it it mats, like one big dreadlock. So when their hairs fall out, they end up just getting stuck to the other hairs on the dog, and we never have fur on any furniture or anything like that.

All in all, he's a good boy and he's learning that he gets our food the next day mixed in with his breakfast.

We've had a German Shepherd, a few Doberman Pinschers, a couple of German Shorthaired Pointers, and now we have a couple of Yorkies. I never wanted a foo-foo lap dog as we've always had working dogs, especially yappers like Yorkies are, but after having these two I have really come around. Even little dogs can convince you that they can get psychopathic if the situation calls for it.

When my wife was in her 20s she had our first ever Doberman in the back seat of the car as she stopped at the local market in the evening. She was about to roll up the window when some guy came up to the driver's side to say something to her and didn't see the black dog in the dark in the back seat. That dog came up out of the back seat in full-on protection mode and probably took 10 years off the guy's life.

My sister has a Rottie. She looks fearsome and has a bark that could knock down a house. But she's a 100lb lap dog (the Rottie not my sister). My brother has 2 Rhodesian Ridge Backs. Interesting dogs. A boy and girl. The girl is very aloof. But the boy will always want to crawl up in your lap. But he's 90lbs :D

A buddy of mine had a pair of Rotts, the female was rather aloof the BIG male would just give the sniff test then stand (or sit) right next to you and LEAN he almost knocked my wife down several times, he really liked her! Great dogs, rescued no less. They had a good thing going out there. I miss them.

So it is really hard to make two rotisserie chickens at the same time with only two forks on the spit! I never even thought of that for some stupid reason, and I ended up making up a kind of last minute spear the chickens together with shish ka bob sticks and very liberal creative trussing to keep both chickens near the rod. Ed, I could have used one of these:

https://tvwbb.com/attachments/20211115_171117-jpg.40688/

I just put them nose to ”tail” and only use two forks, no trouble. I‘ll see if I can find a picture. People overthink some of this stuff sometimes.
Drat! Can’t find it, I guess I will just have to spin a “brace” and share it then!

I just put them nose to ”tail” and only use two forks, no trouble. I‘ll see if I can find a picture. People overthink some of this stuff sometimes.
Drat! Can’t find it, I guess I will just have to spin a “brace” and share it then!
I didn't even think about it though, and ended up with a sloppy mess that was flopping around as it spun. Luckily I was able to tie it up good enough to cook. Also, I think two at a time take longer too. I cooked them for an hour and a half on the spit, then while I was carving found they weren't done and put them in the oven for another half hour on 375. Live and learn!

Dan, yours are “face to face” but, that’s the idea I use.
I will have to pay a bit more attention when I do the next batch, I don’t think I have had to go much more than an extra 20 minutes but, I may have been using the cocktail clock too!🍸🤪

I was using the "they'll be ready SOON" clock ..
I’ve been fooled by that one too!
Tonight will be the quick cook night! Nice little piece of sockeye, rice and peas. A spousal favorite! She let me have the big beef feast I wanted. And now, something I think she will enjoy. She has earned a special dinner, lost her sister last week and has not eaten much nor slept well since. I know the feeling. She deserves something she likes.
But, I have an out of town visitor coming this week and a pair of chickens might be just the ticket for that! We shall see…

Those spit forks that I modified came from a Farberware indoor roti that we've had forever. They are the only forks I have ever used and I have used them on everything from a Cornish game hen to a 22lb. turkey. I got to feeling bad that I bent them up so I bought a replacement pair off eBay for less than $12.

There are many avaiable...or the heavier forks are not too much more on Amazon. They fit a 5/16" spit rod and I filed them to fit my 3/8" rod. The ones I bent worked great, no flopping around. I put my birds head to head so the meatiest part, the breasts, is in the center of the grill. I always check everything in several places with an instant read thermo before I pull it off the grill...I have a couple of TW instant reads but I really like my ThermoPro with its orange backlight.

EDIT: We did a roti ham for Christmas dinner...came out great, but I offered to do 2 hams the next time, one for us and one for our daughter/grandson, rather than give away some of the leftovers. I think the modded center fork will be useful for that. But then I think the daughter/grandson would rather have one of Grandma's sandwiches than leftovers, and being that they live right next door...

EDIT: Because of the fork orientation, the protein is shifted 90deg from each other, unlike the wing-to-wing alignment in the @DanHoo picture. It doesn't seem to affect the balance and I seldom use the counterweight.

Last edited:
I also should add that I think my problem with my MEATER+'s wonky ambient sensor reading with its dropouts is probably due to me using my cell phone as a bluetooth repeater. I used the MEATER+ charger/repeater last night and it was much more stable...not accurate, but stable. The MeatStick was much closer on ambient, but I'm still going to use my Smoke wired probe for ambient. I sure would love it if ThermoWorks would offer a wired/wireless combo option someday!!

Last edited:
I also should add that I think my problem with my MEATER+'s wonky ambient sensor reading with its dropouts is probably due to me using my cell phone as a bluetooth repeater. I used the MEATER+ charger/repeater last night and it was much more stable...not accurate, but stable. The MeatStick was much closer on ambient, but I'm still going to use my Smoke wired probe for ambient. I sure would love it if ThermoWorks would offer a wired/wireless combo option someday!!
I just received the Meater plus to replace my forked up Meater original. For the "repeater" I just leave the wood case next to the grill? How does that work?

I just received the Meater plus to replace my forked up Meater original. For the "repeater" I just leave the wood case next to the grill? How does that work?
Yes.

I place the block about a foot from the grill.

Just got off the phone with MEATER support about the cell phone thing. The CSR told me that the MEATER+ uses the charger as a repeater no matter how close the cell phone is to the probe, so the signal goes from the probe to the charger to the cell phone (and, I presume, to the cloud (WiFi) and then to other devices.) So my charger has always been about 20 - 25ft away from the probe inside the grill...pretty good range, I think. Why the ambient was so erratic and the food sensor was very steady, I dunno, but the ambient is always wrong anyway (as compared to my Smoke wired probe which I trust) so I ignore it.

Also, the MEATER+ probe has different firmware than the MEATER Block, so that the M+ probe will not work with the Block.

Back