Rotisserie Crispy Skin

I’m glad I’m not the only one who only recently learned to roto cook much hotter.
Yeah, it was literally under our collective noses the entire time, and this technique comes along just in time for Turkey Day. This is the first time we've tried dry brining, and that likely has a lot to do with how tender the meat comes out. We're going to try dry brining on steaks, too, now that beef prices are so high and we are buying tougher cuts of meat.

I was at Costco today and I asked the guy boxing up roti chicken what temp they were cooked at. He looked at the oven and said about 450. I looked at the led readout and could not see any temp shown.

I have always dry brined my meats. Sooooo much easier than we brining if nothing else.
And I like easy! Easy is my middle name (well, ok, maybe not...but it could be!)

I'm relatively new to brining in general. I've done wet brining a handful of times, but while moist it comes out too watery for my taste. Funny thing: my wife is chronically low in sodium and the Dr. is always telling her to eat more salt! Me, I'm just the opposite. And my wife doesn't usually eat the skin, which is fine by me because I do, but she ate the skin on the dry brined chicken with the rub. Adding salt to the rub was a mistake, though, too much salt for our taste, so next time no additional salt. Other than that, it was a memorable meal and we're looking forward to perfecting the technique.

How long do you dry brine a steak for?

Re spinning turkey. IMO the best way is to lubricate the rod really well so it slides easily into the garbage :D Seriously turkeys are usually so much bigger than chickens for one, also (if you buy the range raised or organic birds) much less fat. Also bear in mind most commercially raised chickens and turkey are injected heavily with "broth" (basically chemically treated VERY salty water). But turkey is naturally going to have less sub cutaneous fat than chickens. So when you spin them they will easily burn the exterior long before the interior is done. So a much lower heat method is called for at longer times which gets a pretty crispy skin anyway. Yes I dislike turkey but also yes I have done more than a few on the spinning rod. Both on my Wolf and my Genesis grills

And I like easy! Easy is my middle name (well, ok, maybe not...but it could be!)

I'm relatively new to brining in general. I've done wet brining a handful of times, but while moist it comes out too watery for my taste. Funny thing: my wife is chronically low in sodium and the Dr. is always telling her to eat more salt! Me, I'm just the opposite. And my wife doesn't usually eat the skin, which is fine by me because I do, but she ate the skin on the dry brined chicken with the rub. Adding salt to the rub was a mistake, though, too much salt for our taste, so next time no additional salt. Other than that, it was a memorable meal and we're looking forward to perfecting the technique.

How long do you dry brine a steak for?
I always dry-brine.
1/2 tsp per lb with Kosher salt
1/4 tsp per lb with table salt
For steaks and smaller cuts of meat, a few hours, in the fridge is fine, but overnight is better.
For whole chickens and turkeys, overnight, always.

I tried the brining trick on steaks a couple times. Hated the texture change of the meat. Maybe on really el cheapo meat but IMO if you're buying good Prime grade steak it's not a good thing. I make sure they're dry, and simply give them a liberal seasoning of salt (sometimes pepper) just before they go on the moderate grill. I do NOT use insane heat on my steaks either. I get beautiful crust, edge to edge pink as well. And I get beautiful results. Skill and patience rule over sledgehammer techniques in my book

Had to post this here as it looks very cool. Tom reviews it.
image_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Had to post this here as it looks very cool. Tom reviews it.
image_1024x1024@2x.jpg

What the heck, why not? My aromantics are always falling out, this looks like the cure for that. I also like that it has the hole for the rotisserie shaft. I used to spike my wings to the body to keep them from flapping around, this cures that. Heck yeah I ordered one. $15 no shipping, no tax

I'm going to bite on this too. Trussing is a pain, and I'm not even that good at it. Also, it is by far my least favorite part of cooking whole birds. Chicken Turbo Trusser? Yes please!

My first reaction was that $15 would buy a lifetime supply of cotton twine. And then I thought of those turkey lacing things that would always get lost in the drawer, and then this would be just one more thing to clean up after dinner.

I tied up a rib roast after watching a YT video and it came out looking so professional-looking I almost took a picture. I always feel so inept while trussing a bird, though, so I'm tempted. I don't think I have ever trussed a bird the same way twice, so there is definitely room for improvement...

I was just thinking about how sloppy it is after putting any kind of rub on to try and tie the twine, half the time mine slips off the end of the drum stick, and yes Ed I'm not sure I've ever trussed two birds the same way. I ordered one already. I should order another actually because I know I'm doing two chickens for Christmas this year, but I'll just make sure this thing is super awesome before ordering a second one. Or, boo hoo, I may have to tie one of those christmas chickens up.

I was just thinking about how sloppy it is after putting any kind of rub on to try and tie the twine, half the time mine slips off the end of the drum stick, and yes Ed I'm not sure I've ever trussed two birds the same way. I ordered one already. I should order another actually because I know I'm doing two chickens for Christmas this year, but I'll just make sure this thing is super awesome before ordering a second one. Or, boo hoo, I may have to tie one of those christmas chickens up.
I feel your pain, I really do! I had the same problem last night with the slippage. I'm also a guy that thinks it's better to put the rub on before trussing so I end up with most of the rub on my hands and have to touch up the bare spots when I'm done...I must have looked at half a dozen videos on trussing chicken and nobody does it the same way. I used to spiral wrap the bird, but after doing that rib roast I have set my goal at mastering this trussing business. I just gotta remember to put the apron on first.

I think next time I will put the rub on just the few areas that won't be accessible after trussing, then trussing and applying the rub all over.

Last edited:
I feel your pain, I really do! I had the same problem last night with the slippage. I'm also a guy that thinks it's better to put the rub on before trussing so I end up with most of the rub on my hands and have to touch up the bare spots when I'm done...I must have looked at half a dozen videos on trussing chicken and nobody does it the same way. I used to spiral wrap the bird, but after doing that rib roast I have set my goal at mastering this trussing business. I just gotta remember to put the apron on first.

I think next time I will put the rub on just the few areas that won't be accessible after trussing.
Ha! I don't know what it is, but once I turn the chicken around it's like a whole different bird! And I did well in Calc 2. Anyhow, instead of solving a differential equation every time I try to truss a chicken, for fifteen bucks I will gladly support anybody who even says "Turbo Trusser".

You guys that took the plunge, be sure to report back! I'm leaning to one side of the fence, but that doesn't mean I can't be swayed.

Back