Rotisserie Crispy Skin

Haha, no, mine is an old Genesis 2000. The "thousands" (1000, 2000, 3000) had 13 flavorizer bars, eight going north south and five running east west. Your Silver B only has the 5 east west. It is how the Genesis that we all love so well was initially conceived, and I think the best design they did. After that, if you look at the progression, it seems a lot like they wanted to spend less money to make them, while charging more money for us to get them. My choice is the $25 I spent right up front on that 2000 six years ago. Sure I probably put another two threehundred in, but I don't care. All those extra dollars in are just upgrades.

Haha, no, mine is an old Genesis 2000. The "thousands" (1000, 2000, 3000) had 13 flavorizer bars, eight going north south and five running east west. Your Silver B only has the 5 east west. It is how the Genesis that we all love so well was initially conceived, and I think the best design they did. After that, if you look at the progression, it seems a lot like they wanted to spend less money to make them, while charging more money for us to get them. My choice is the $25 I spent right up front on that 2000 six years ago. Sure I probably put another two threehundred in, but I don't care. All those extra dollars in are just upgrades.
Oh....gotcha...thanks! The East/West config is the best, especially for the rotisserie.
I love the Genny B. It's a workhorse. Over the years, I've replaced a couple sets of flavorizer bars, one crossover bar and a few sets of grates. I replaced the last set of grates with GrillGrates.

Oh....gotcha...thanks! The East/West config is the best, especially for the rotisserie.
I love the Genny B. It's a workhorse. Over the years, I've replaced a couple sets of flavorizer bars, one crossover bar and a few sets of grates. I replaced the last set of grates with GrillGrates.
Very nice! I went all the way to rcplanebuyer flavorizer bars and also his stainless rod grates. They are like lifting dumbbells off the thing when it's time to rotisserie! And yes, the Genesis B is made for rotisserie. Any East West grill is, but the three burner east west ones give you all the options. A superior grill if you ask me. Parts available, in a range of qualities. Simple design. Plenty of knowledge here. Best of all, it is actually a lot less expensive and a hundred times more rewarding to fix the old grill up instead of plopping ten c notes down for an inferior product you won't be able to fix in two years.

Good job Tim, yeah, once you’ve gotten some rotisserie practice, you feel like you’ve been missing something that basic and delicious for years. Next do a pork loin or a rib roast, it’s so easy, put them on and relax. It’s a wonderful way to make a feast. I think I will do a pork loin tomorrow!

Fellow Tim, if you show me how, I will have no choice! Although I do like just grilling pork loin I can see a hot rotisserie approach could change the game yet again ..... what kind of temperatures are you talking pork loin wise?

Very nice! I went all the way to rcplanebuyer flavorizer bars and also his stainless rod grates. They are like lifting dumbbells off the thing when it's time to rotisserie! And yes, the Genesis B is made for rotisserie. Any East West grill is, but the three burner east west ones give you all the options. A superior grill if you ask me. Parts available, in a range of qualities. Simple design. Plenty of knowledge here. Best of all, it is actually a lot less expensive and a hundred times more rewarding to fix the old grill up instead of plopping ten c notes down for an inferior product you won't be able to fix in two years.
Thanks and agreed. The only thing that doesn't work now, is the igniter. It crapped out a few years ago, and I've been too lazy to replace it.
I have a spare set of flavorizer bars that I picked up on sale at Lowe's for less than $20.00 years ago on clearance. When I finally run out of them, I'll replace them with SS.
My concern, (knock on wood), is the burners and regulator. They're still OEM, and are working fine. If/when those go up, I'll replace the igniter switch too.

There are many here who can point you toward new burner tubes for the GSB. There are a range of qualities and prices around those.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but what I do is I keep two sets of burner tubes and two sets of flavorizer bars.

That being said, I do that and then I have this lofty goal of actually swapping them out from time to time so I can clean and maintain the bars and tubes while they're out of the grill.

I guess I'm telling myself to get to work.

The igniter assembly is trivial to replace by the way, and creates an immediately satisfying ability to light up with one button push. I do recommend doing that :)

There are many here who can point you toward new burner tubes for the GSB. There are a range of qualities and prices around those.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but what I do is I keep two sets of burner tubes and two sets of flavorizer bars.

That being said, I do that and then I have this lofty goal of actually swapping them out from time to time so I can clean and maintain the bars and tubes while they're out of the grill.

I guess I'm telling myself to get to work.

The igniter assembly is trivial to replace by the way, and creates an immediately satisfying ability to light up with one button push. I do recommend doing that :)
Thanks!

I have even accomplished ribs on the rotisserie. Though I have to say the amount of trouble they were to do that way was out of proportion to the work involved :D

Fellow Tim, if you show me how, I will have no choice! Although I do like just grilling pork loin I can see a hot rotisserie approach could change the game yet again ..... what kind of temperatures are you talking pork loin wise?
Generally, I follow pretty much similar temps and time as I would for an indirect cook, I am more a seat of the pants guy, I don’t use thermometers unless I’m smoking and need more careful monitoring. A pork loin, I’m thinking about an hour. I also use charcoal more often than the gasser when turning and burning.
ive gotten out of the picture taking habit with a lot of these cooks lately. I’ll try to post this one.

So, how would you guys apply this high heat method of cooking a roto chicken to doing something like a 12-14 lb Turkey on the roto and still come out with a more crispy skin?

I’d just treat it like a big chicken, brine it, dry it, rack it up like normal. But, again, I’d use charcoal.
But,that’s just me

Bruce, I would just do it like I've been doing them now, 400 degrees or so. If you're nervous about burning the skin, you can always start out around 300 and then guesstimate when you could crank up to 400 for the last hour or so of cooking. But I've been thinking about it, it's not going to burn. Like when you take a paper cup of water and hold a lighter under it, you can't light the paper because the water is taking all the heat from the flame. The turkey skin is like the paper cup. It's not gonna burn. It just browns and gets crispy. Try a chicken hot this weekend, you'll be a convert I'm sure of it! The four hundred plus degrees are a game changer. As it cooks, the skin browns. I know from my years of rotisserie around three hundred I never saw that before, it was just a raw looking chicken getting hot. You need the heat to brown the skin. This is what I've learned. It was hard, but it is the opposite of how I had been thinking, and it is giving me opposite (delicious) results!

Serious Eats has this to say about dry brining. I'm planning on 3 days of dry brine on our bird this year.

Going for the flavor and doing it on the roti kettle this year. Kind of a funny thing, though...I have 3 spit rods but only 1 fits the kettle (a red 30yo '91 MT I bought new for the motorhome). I chucked the other 2 up in the 4-jaw and took care of that problem. I designed and printed out a bracket (10.5hr. print time) to mount the Smoke on the front leg while I was at it.

20211105_151747.jpg20211105_152645.jpg

Last edited:
Generally, I follow pretty much similar temps and time as I would for an indirect cook, I am more a seat of the pants guy, I don’t use thermometers unless I’m smoking and need more careful monitoring. A pork loin, I’m thinking about an hour. I also use charcoal more often than the gasser when turning and burning.
ive gotten out of the picture taking habit with a lot of these cooks lately. I’ll try to post this one.
I'd like to see that!

Also, Larry, yeah I'm not sure I'm going to go quite that far! Next thing you know, my silly self would be making hot dogs on the rotisserie!

Not sure a chicken will be in the works this weekend, but I do want to try a 400 degree roto chicken. I was thinking the same thing on the turkey, a bit lower for the majority of the cook and crank it for the last half hour or so.

Not sure a chicken will be in the works this weekend, but I do want to try a 400 degree roto chicken. I was thinking the same thing on the turkey, a bit lower for the majority of the cook and crank it for the last half hour or so.
That sounds about right Bruce, run it 350 ish and put the spurs to it for about half an hour, should work out just fine.

That sounds about right Bruce, run it 350 ish and put the spurs to it for about half an hour, should work out just fine.
After that last chicken I did that averaged 450-500° for most of the cook with absolutely no burnt skin I would aim higher. If you see the skin getting burnt (I doubt it) turn the gas down for the rest of the cook. In the past I always did my chickens at 375° and never had nice crispy skin.

Back