Rotisserie Crispy Skin

That was hands down the best chicken I have ever cooked in my entire life by far!

THANK YOU for the help with this, holy crap that was such a good chicken!

I'll make a new thread so it's easy to see the recipe and the cook right in the first post, but man alive! That RUB is AMAZING, the temps you're better high than low, and holy mackerel that thing came out incredible!

That skin was perfectly crispy, no rubbery texture unless it sat in juice too long after carving it up. I'd say if you want crispy skin, don't be afraid to kind of grill it on the rotisserie, you can cook upwards of four five hundred degrees and that bird is what you get.

Now on to the Peruvian Rotisserie Chicken. Tonight is the dry brine, tomorrow it spins!

Tim, that’s NOT a dry brine, it’s wet, double check the recipe.
8 hours in the well salted water. As I recall.
PM sent.

Last edited:
I have @ChuckO and @THyde Lemon chicken on the kettle now. I am using my Bro-N-Sear loaded half way with used coals and a full chimney of hot coals and it hit 500° and now bringing the temp back down to 400. I did a dry brine for 2 nights (it rained yesterday) and rubbed a little OO and the lemon rub as instructed. I will post a pic and results after dinner;-)

I have @ChuckO and @THyde Lemon chicken on the kettle now. I am using my Bro-N-Sear loaded half way with used coals and a full chimney of hot coals and it hit 500° and now bringing the temp back down to 400. I did a dry brine for 2 nights (it rained yesterday) and rubbed a little OO and the lemon rub as instructed. I will post a pic and results after dinner;-)
Looking forward to seeing it!

Tim, that’s NOT a dry brine, it’s wet, double check the recipe.
8 hours in the well salted water. As I recall.
PM sent.
I couldn't find the aji amarillo or hucatay paste yet, but I still have another day. I saw the wet brine instructions, but I'm going with dry because I'm crazy! Actually, I think the brine step (wet vs. dry) has only so far had an impact on how waterlogged the skin is at the start of the cook. I feel like it comes out better with dry brine. I'll check in with how it went so we will have a few variables on the Peruvian. I picked up some alternate spice pastes to the aji amarillo and hucatay, and will probably end up grinding up some fresh mint from the back yard, so it will definitely be different than the original instructions. More to come!

Ok - Dinner is done and wife is cleaning up. This was amazing! I can't believe I am saying this but this actually ties Peruvian IMHO. I put the rub on about the time I started the chimney. As stated above "I am using my Bro-N-Sear loaded half way with used coals and a full chimney of hot coals and it hit 500° and now bringing the temp back down to 400. I did a dry brine for 2 nights (it rained yesterday) and rubbed a little OO and the lemon rub as instructed." I did have one piece of apple wood on the coals. The whole cook took about 1 hour and 15 minutes at 400°-500°. My Meater block was not charged, so I did overcook it a little to about the low 170's, and the last 5 minutes I put the coals directly below the rod. This chicken had very crispy skin and the leg bone pulled out when I went to carve it. Even after we eat I checked the bottom part that was soaking in some juice and it was still crispy, and had just the right amount of heat thanks to the cyan in the rub. I will do some more testing in the future to see what has the bigger affect, the dry brining or way higher temps, or needing both. Maybe I will try 2 chickens next time and compare brined vs not over the hot coals;-)

Attachments

• 20211103_171451.jpg
    20211103_171451.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 20211103_180806.jpg
    20211103_180806.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20211103_180856.jpg
    20211103_180856.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 20211103_181009.jpg
    20211103_181009.jpg