Rolled St. Louie's

Dave Russell

TVWBB Honor Circle
I haven't seen many posts lately of my latest favorite way to cook ribs on the wsm, so here ya go. First of all, I could kick myself for buying this roasting/rib rack the other day, just because the price was reduced. Well, it was also because I had five slabs to smoke and it had five slots. Anyhow, I don't have a decent rib rack one, when it comes to smoking full length slabs of ribs. This rack is no exception. All the Weber racks and other racks in stores are only good for half slabs. They're all just too dang short. So why doesn't Weber market a better rib rack?

Ok. Rib rack rant over, and I'll move on to what's become my favorite way to smoke 'em. We don't need no stinkin' rib rack, 'cause besides, I think they cook up better rolled, anyhow. There's plenty of room for three on an 18.5" wsm grate, or five on the 22.5". You could squeeze another slab on either, though. First though, here's the tips just pulled through the door off the bottom rack.

Alright. Here's the stars of the show, almost done but not quite.

Quick shot after I cut 'em in half, dipped in 50/50 vinegar/water and hit again with the rub. (Actually, I think one slab is already cut and served. We had a house full and folks were getting impatient.)

So what do I mean when I say they cook up better rolled on the wsm? Well, it's not only my opinion, but Harry Soo says that there's better circulation if the ribs are vertical. But to me, they seem to cook a little more evenly than if flat or in racks. So there ya go. Try it sometime and see what you think. Once you see some pullback of the bones, check for tenderness with a toothpick. I recommend a heavy coat of Chris Lilly's Memphis dry rub, both before and after the cook. No sauce required. ;)

I roll mine when I'm cooking a lot of ribs. On my 18.5" I can get 6 racks using both grates. The trimmings fit between them on their sides leaned against them. I could probably squeeze on 8 if I had to (trimmings balanced on top?). The only problem is presentation; they don't unroll very well. Since I don't really care about presentation, it's the way to go for me. Good looking ribs by the way.

I roll mine when I'm cooking a lot of ribs. On my 18.5" I can get 6 racks using both grates. The trimmings fit between them on their sides leaned against them. I could probably squeeze on 8 if I had to (trimmings balanced on top?). The only problem is presentation; they don't unroll very well. Since I don't really care about presentation, it's the way to go for me. Good looking ribs by the way.

Thanks, Lew. They were pretty dang good. Also, thanks for the tip on where to put the trimmings. I'll be sure to keep that in mind for next time. I would've used a lot less charcoal with my 18.5". Three racks and two trimmings on the top rack, and two racks and three trimmings on the bottom rack. Of course!

Rolling ribs is how I rock, too. I usually use two skewers (one angled up, one angled down) to keep them more stable. I think they cook better that way as well. I usually set them breastbone-side-down on the grate so that when the meat starts to shrink back from the bones, it looks purtier. Six in an 18.5" leaves plenty of room.

As to the trimmings, I cook a small amount, mainly for baked beans, and cube the rest to freeze. I grind them into sausage and add them to burgers (20%-25%) for extra flavor.

And Dave, flip that rack over and it's perfect for smoking a bone-in turkey breast.

Rolling ribs is how I rock, too. I usually use two skewers (one angled up, one angled down) to keep them more stable. I think they cook better that way as well. I usually set them breastbone-side-down on the grate so that when the meat starts to shrink back from the bones, it looks purtier. Six in an 18.5" leaves plenty of room.

As to the trimmings, I cook a small amount, mainly for baked beans, and cube the rest to freeze. I grind them into sausage and add them to burgers (20%-25%) for extra flavor.

And Dave, flip that rack over and it's perfect for smoking a bone-in turkey breast.

If they cook just as good breastbone side down, I'll have to give that a try. Not only purtier, but much easier to assess pull-back. You and Lew give great tips on what to do with rib tips. Thanks.

Back