Roadside Chicken

Grabbed some leg quarters today. Grilling my first batch of roadside chicken tomorrow. Looking forward to trying this recipe.

Please. Where can I find a printable recipe for Roadside Chicken

Please. Where can I find a printable recipe for Roadside Chicken

Here you go.
ROADSIDE CHICKEN​

1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup veg oil
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 TBS Sea or Kosher salt
1 TBS white sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp celery salt

Mix/shake till well dissolved. I put mine in a old Worcestershire bottle with the shaker top. You can marinate the chicken in the sauce for up to 2-8 hrs before cooking. If so discard marinade and make fresh for the cooking sauce. I apply the sauce every 5 min to both sides and turn every 5-10 min. Apply one final coating 5 min before removing from the grill. You can't put too much sauce on while grilling. It will build up a nice layer of flavors. I use the kettle but I think it would do well on the WSM (Larry used it) with no water pan and a high heat cook. I usually add one small piece of apple wood while grilling also. Hope you like it. Enjoy
EDIT: If you are going to marinate the chicken first, then leave the oil out for the marinade process. Make up a fresh batch for basting the chicken with the oil in the sauce.

I know the last post was over a year ago but I HAD to chime in…I tried RSC with some thighs and bone-in breasts this weekend and MYGOD! I’ve read this thread several times over the years and never attempted it. Now…this is the only way I’ll make chickens. Listen to the reviewers: you NEED to make this!218DBAED-DE0B-430B-8AAA-E1C160169190.jpeg

I know the last post was over a year ago but I HAD to chime in…I tried RSC with some thighs and bone-in breasts this weekend and MYGOD! I’ve read this thread several times over the years and never attempted it. Now…this is the only way I’ll make chickens. Listen to the reviewers: you NEED to make this!View attachment 36958
Looks great! Did you marinate first?

I finally made RSK and after all the accolades I was underwhelmed, especially compared to Peruvian Chicken. I did mine on the rotisserie and the only things that I did different were that I used half regular vinegar and half ACV, and left out the celery salt as I did not have any. I also added a little chunk of apple wood to the coals. The picture looks great, but not enough flavor IMHO compared to Peruvian.
Rjm_hnO_PQkD6seZmcY2uRbLFsafBQ6sib9wmmCs2LPvGSVkjTtb-8V2apJLwIJCqYoAkJGodMVmi6MvZxWm6eQGj1mSMDbfSyZNU8dusCZ_eAwxg7EKwBbVkLmunxtmgrl4f5L1RpevyMVSkd0mf5DevtCAjfEdAEFy5DS2Xvil3n26Tg8Tuo3o3zNIkKaEayvaczh9K-Wx7x1bJBuVEjshB27Xa4gBapFpySLqXkEntXe2R2D-UOCnmGphOaBg8b9Z5AyzikdZkGjPXbcd_w1FBpi--e-2GyyK7SzNPICZKVaNNPVHVsy2nUez2BHiDLwFrbeADMj4T-biZMBfLvSk4NcAkru-SUNGaUD3yN7j_R3HEErgJgIwAb5qtfcHd1CZfnq4z4rtOQYYU3SOrvTiyNnCA47B5rL02b7NeMTD3LWxmgYoqXN7PEUVXEfvUZevMBtByWjFTAUkVr0yg83F1ktVZj4LZH06pmFZt8uY6tXOXVpCLViLT64ZKhD9hoojjarMMqYncCTdl0iYljMP1iP5nxfNrbo7KyXAHuSqhNsCGkzot6LSoT9VaU5vy2pJrL7xCzDqe96c8hSuxqTqVsH6TuFv24zPkKh16FtuHF-REzIECK12b4cyXhjBOqbYJXGO5AE6T4KVhciVVJopdwCGLOp_G1D29PG8j_5yZaGDXc4E-GyZdlWnDZwPwg-Zai8h1HW30wYgmeMVVem5ig=w1735-h1301-no

Yah, I like road side chicken, but I didn't think it had a lot of taste either. The wood smoke helps, but otherwise kind of bland.

I finally made RSK and after all the accolades I was underwhelmed, especially compared to Peruvian Chicken. I did mine on the rotisserie and the only things that I did different were that I used half regular vinegar and half ACV, and left out the celery salt as I did not have any. I also added a little chunk of apple wood to the coals. The picture looks great, but not enough flavor IMHO compared to Peruvian.
Rjm_hnO_PQkD6seZmcY2uRbLFsafBQ6sib9wmmCs2LPvGSVkjTtb-8V2apJLwIJCqYoAkJGodMVmi6MvZxWm6eQGj1mSMDbfSyZNU8dusCZ_eAwxg7EKwBbVkLmunxtmgrl4f5L1RpevyMVSkd0mf5DevtCAjfEdAEFy5DS2Xvil3n26Tg8Tuo3o3zNIkKaEayvaczh9K-Wx7x1bJBuVEjshB27Xa4gBapFpySLqXkEntXe2R2D-UOCnmGphOaBg8b9Z5AyzikdZkGjPXbcd_w1FBpi--e-2GyyK7SzNPICZKVaNNPVHVsy2nUez2BHiDLwFrbeADMj4T-biZMBfLvSk4NcAkru-SUNGaUD3yN7j_R3HEErgJgIwAb5qtfcHd1CZfnq4z4rtOQYYU3SOrvTiyNnCA47B5rL02b7NeMTD3LWxmgYoqXN7PEUVXEfvUZevMBtByWjFTAUkVr0yg83F1ktVZj4LZH06pmFZt8uY6tXOXVpCLViLT64ZKhD9hoojjarMMqYncCTdl0iYljMP1iP5nxfNrbo7KyXAHuSqhNsCGkzot6LSoT9VaU5vy2pJrL7xCzDqe96c8hSuxqTqVsH6TuFv24zPkKh16FtuHF-REzIECK12b4cyXhjBOqbYJXGO5AE6T4KVhciVVJopdwCGLOp_G1D29PG8j_5yZaGDXc4E-GyZdlWnDZwPwg-Zai8h1HW30wYgmeMVVem5ig=w1735-h1301-no
Once you make Peruvian Chicken, there is hardly anything that will match the flavor!!! That is just my opinion. When I do make RSC it is in the WSM without the water pan. I think all the dripping causing flare up is part of what makes the meal. However, I have made RSC six times in the last two years. I make Peruvian Chicken at least once monthly.

Once you make Peruvian Chicken, there is hardly anything that will match the flavor!!! That is just my opinion. When I do make RSC it is in the WSM without the water pan. I think all the dripping causing flare up is part of what makes the meal. However, I have made RSC six times in the last two years. I make Peruvian Chicken at least once monthly.
Thanks - I thought I may have messed up. I would agree. Once you eat Peruvian chicken most others are just don't seem as tasty anymore. It is kind of like once I had Popeye's spicy fried chicken, I could not go back to regular fried chicken again.

Joe:

Did you marinate? I've found that needs to be done, otherwise you just get some fantastic tasting skin with some mildly smoky meat. But I love the RSC (and Peruvian chicken, BTW).

Joe:

Did you marinate? I've found that needs to be done, otherwise you just get some fantastic tasting skin with some mildly smoky meat. But I love the RSC (and Peruvian chicken, BTW).
Yes - About 5-6 hours. It was / is good. We had some in our salads for lunch. I think that Peruvian spoiled me for chicken. Kind of like my coffee / cocoa rub brisket did for BBQ. Now when we go out to BBQ joints I am always comparing it to mine. Very few stand up.

Yes - About 5-6 hours. It was / is good. We had some in our salads for lunch. I think that Peruvian spoiled me for chicken. Kind of like my coffee / cocoa rub brisket did for BBQ. Now when we go out to BBQ joints I am always comparing it to mine. Very few stand up.

For a whole chicken, I'd have gone longer, FWIW. I usually do bone-in/skin on thighs and legs, along with some boneless skinless breasts and marinate for 8+ hours.

For a whole chicken, I'd have gone longer, FWIW. I usually do bone-in/skin on thighs and legs, along with some boneless skinless breasts and marinate for 8+ hours.
I may try an overnight marinade some time. The Peruvian is much thicker and sticks on the chicken. No need to marinade once it starts spinning which is a plus. Maybe if I pick up some of that Xanthium Gum I will give that a go.

Care to share your Peruvian chicken recipe??

Michael Richards posted a link to it https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/peruvian-style-spit-roasted-chicken-green-sauce/ The only thing I found was it was a little salty for me after brining. Next time I may skip brining and see what happens.

Haven't done this in awhile, so today's the day. I'm going to use chicken leg quarters and smoke it on the pellet grill for a few hours while basting frequently, then pull it and finish it direct on my Weber Kettle to get a little char.

I love that Peruvian Chicken style as well. The Peruvian Chicken works really well if you grill it 'brick style', crispy and lemony, so good!

Back