Roadside Chicken

all,

this looks like fun, one question from me, when you talk about lower rack are you talking about the middle of the WSM or placing the top cooking grill directly over the coals?

ta

Originally posted by ozza:
all,

this looks like fun, one question from me, when you talk about lower rack are you talking about the middle of the WSM or placing the top cooking grill directly over the coals?

ta
The lower grate of the WSM.

Bryan, just noticing this thread has 461 posts. Are you getting close to a record here??
icon_eek.gif

I tried the Rick Bayless version last night with boneless/skinless chicken breasts. It was okay, but not as good as Bryan's. Specifically, I disliked the ground cloves.

Grilled some thighs the other day, and grilling split bone-in breasts tomorrow night...Fantastic recipe, just fantastic. This is my new "Go-to" recipe for chicken. It will be a while before I have the courage to grill split birds directly, though, as I have a hard enough time getting thighs done before the outside burns.

Keep temps under control (don't use too big a pile of lump!), squirt often with the baste, and TURN 'em or BURN 'em!

Thanks, Bryan!

did this the other weekend and loved it, made some mistakes and tried the minion method when what I actually needed to do was get the lump wood red hot (all of it), before getting the chicken on.

Doing more this weekend, amazing stuff Brian cheers fella from the UK

Any recipe w/24 pages of raves has got to be tried. I've got 5 boneless/skinless breasts marinating now. Still trying to decide if I gas 'em or lump 'em. Weather doesn't look great today so probably gassed.

Thanks for all the great advice!

Originally posted by chuck b:
Any recipe w/24 pages of raves has got to be tried. I've got 5 boneless/skinless breasts marinating now. Still trying to decide if I gas 'em or lump 'em. Weather doesn't look great today so probably gassed.

Thanks for all the great advice!

Like all grilled chicken recipes, this recipe does require some moderation with the heat, and I'd definately suggest trying it on a gasser at first to help keep the temps lower. Black chicken skin gets left on the plate, trust me.

quick question. why marinade the chicken overnight without oil, and make a second batch for basting the next day with the oil?

just seems like a waste of ingredients.

i prefer marinading because i want everything to get into the meat.

i guess the next best thing would be to not marinade and just dip the chicken in the sauce while cooking. thoughts?

Some say making the marinade with the oil can be a slight "preventer" in allowing the marinade to penetrate the meat. Dont get me wrong, the flavor will still get into the meat just not as "deep" or "quickly". Also the oil isnt used for flavor, more as an "igniter" for cooking
icon_biggrin.gif

Some people prefer, my self included, to make new sauce, and to not "contaminate" the cooked chicken, with sauce that was used for soaking uncooked chicken. Now granted, this would only be a concern if you put sauce on the chicken right before you took it off the grill.

I think you might be confused though. You marinade the chicken and use the suace while cooking it. When using the sauce while cooking, the sauce will drip of the chicken onto the coals creating a third layer of flavor:

1. Marinade
2. Sauce while cooking
3. Vaporized Sauced from coals

You could dip the chicken, some people do that. But they also marinade it too.

i was wondering that too (why to leave the oil out of the marinade). Next time I'm going to marinate it longer. (first time RSC cook last saturday)

Hi all am new to the site and have only been smoking for a couple months. What a great site to learn from. Any I am hosting approx 16-20 people and was wondering best way to do RSC. I have a 18.5" wsm and the same size kettle. How much chicken and will it all fit in one cook? Thanks so much!

Originally posted by Bill C (Bill1414):
Hi all am new to the site and have only been smoking for a couple months. What a great site to learn from. Any I am hosting approx 16-20 people and was wondering best way to do RSC. I have a 18.5" wsm and the same size kettle. How much chicken and will it all fit in one cook? Thanks so much!

I'd get a bigger kettle or fix something different. You can use the wsm, but it's not gonna taste right unless you ditch the pan altogether, cooking on the top grate only or adding a Big green egg extender grate or equivalent over that. You gotta have the baste hitting the coals and steaming up in my book.

Is there any reason why you cant make a marinade, take the chicken out when ready to cook, boil the leftover marinade and add the oil to use as a basting sauce? (sorry if this is answered previously, I didn't read all 24 pages of posts)

Cooked up a batch of Roadside Thighs for dinner tonight. I have made this recipe many times before, and expect to make it many times again.

Friends, Bryan S. is a great great man.

I can't believe I waited this long to try this recipe, but this weekend I am happy I did. I made a couple of changes, I added 1 tbl of ancho pepper and 1.5 tbl of cayenne pepper to give a little more zip. I marinated 6 chix breast for 18 hours before grilling. Outstanding!

Great recipe! I made this the other day and my Mom said it reminds her very much of the old roadside stands when she was growing up! She did say next time I have to use halved chickens
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I've been using this recipe with chicken and turkey and everyone raves about it. A while back I started to do less marinade time (2-3 hours), the basting on the grill but then dipped it in a white sauce (think Big Bob Gibson's) and had even more raves. The last two large cooks (80-100 people each) I've done have requested the above chicken, so the flavors must work well together. I like either way.

Back