Riddle me this....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darrel Williams

TVWBB Super Fan
Why the heck is a replacement grate for an 18.5 kettle under $15, a replacement grate for a 22.5 kettle is under $20, but a replacement grate for a 26.75 is $120!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is a great question.... makes no sense whatsoever. At that rate of increase.... the ranch kettle grill replacement should be $600-$700. I have two older 26" grills and I believe the replacement grate for those was in the $70-$80 range - which still seem exceptionally high.

Actually - I guess it makes a little sense. I'm sure the 18 and 22 cheaper prices are driven by volume. Even so, a replacement grate that is nearly half the price of the grill still seems a bit ridiculous.

Is stainless steel that much more expensive than raw steel or what, something doesn't smell rite.

I am assuming everyone knows the 26.75 comes stock with the stainless steel grate.

The replacement grates for the 18 and 22 mentioned here are not stainless I am assuming?

Mentioned somewhere here on this board is the fact the 22.5 stainless grates can be bought for 29.99.

The 18.5 stainless grates are 54.00.

So, the pricing makes no sense at all.

Either the 22.5 ss grates are made more affordable because there is a higher demand and they have a larger volume made and that brings the cost down or ...

Well, you get the picture.

It is apparent that EVERYONE here wants the 18.5 to be around $19.99 and the 26.75 be around $49.99?

i did buy a replacement grate for my old 26"er... and i believe i paid only 45 bucks... it does not have the coal access hinged ends on it, just the plain ol' solid grate.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
i did buy a replacement grate for my old 26"er... and i believe i paid only 45 bucks... it does not have the coal access hinged ends on it, just the plain ol' solid grate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe the replacement grate for the old 26 is not stainless.

Just wanted to add, if anyone wants the cast iron grates, they can be purchased through TVWBB member Larry Wolfe on his website.

Don't see the 26 listed there, but assume he can get it too.

yes, Kevin, I agree that the cast iron option is a much better buy, but it is still quite expensive.

What I want is a $25 option for an OEM grate.

The cast iron route might be less expensive over time, if you take care of it. My wife's grandmother's cast iron skillet is 65 years old, and my wife would like to pass it on to our grandchildren.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
i did buy a replacement grate for my old 26"er... and i believe i paid only 45 bucks... it does not have the coal access hinged ends on it, just the plain ol' solid grate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Genuine Weber?

When I picked up my 26" 3-4 years ago I called Weber about replacing both grates and the prices were definitely up there.

Brad

Only problem with the Cast Iron -

I do not believe that anyone makes them for the 26-incher (at least, not yet).

I think that Weber's pricing on Replacement Grates is driven by two factors:

1. VOLUME - The 22-inch is by far the most popular size. They bang-out millions of these. The 26-inch is probably one of the least common, so it will cost more.

2. MATERIALS - The standard 18 and 22-inch grates are simply coated steel. Weber probably standardized on Stainless Steel for the 26-incher, so it costs more.

Add these factors up, and you get the "double-whammy" (See, the costs make sense from WEBERs point-of-view.) Plus it is usually 3-piece, which is more costly to fabricate.

Is there a size-difference between the Old and the New 26-incher? Or, did they just bring back the classic?

Old thread but a timely one.

Decided I wanted to get a second charcoal grate (right angles so the bricks don't fall through as easily, doncha know) and a second cooking grate (ala the beer can uplifting-to-a-third-level of cooking experience).

Prices haven't changed much.

Here in Toronto area, Lowes quoted me a price of <span class="ev_code_RED">$125 ! ! ! !</span> for just the charcoal grate. Didn't bother getting a price for the cooking grate.

Fell off my chair.

Tried Home Depot (again, this is Canada where the dollar is above par).

Charcoal grate was $37 and the cooking grate was $27.

FWIW.

Len, I hear your pain. Priced out a 18 1/2 standard weber cooking grate at my local BBQ shop, $ 28, and $ 35 for the 22 1/2. Was in Seattle on the weekend and picked up a weber hinged 18 1/2 grate for 11.99 and hinged 22 1/2 for 17.99, at Target go figure ?

make sure you check stores towards the end of august for sales. i got 4 hinged 22.5 grates for 4.50 at target. i also got two a bit before that for 6.00 .

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Len Dennis:

Decided I wanted to get a second charcoal grate (right angles so the bricks don't fall through as easily, doncha know) and a second cooking grate (ala the beer can uplifting-to-a-third-level of cooking experience).

Prices haven't changed much.

Here in Toronto area, Lowes quoted me a price of <span class="ev_code_RED">$125 ! ! ! !</span> for just the charcoal grate. Didn't bother getting a price for the cooking grate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Have you thought of puting some expanded metel on the charcoal grate? I'm going to do that one of these days.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Tried Home Depot (again, this is Canada where the dollar is above par).

Charcoal grate was $37 and the cooking grate was $27.

FWIW. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I'm not understanding these last comments at all. Are those the prices for the grates for a 26" kettle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back