Ribs with Chick-Fil-A Polynesian Sauce

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I saw a youtube video from Ballistic BBQ where he used Chick-Fil-A Polynesian sauce as a glaze. My wife loves that stuff so I figured I might have a shot at converting my wife to like ribs.

Seasoned with Kosmos Q Dirty Bird and and some Chud Rub.

Getting the Franklin fired up and ready to do work.

Ribs cooking

Picture of my thermometer where I pretend the temp stayed there the entire time. I cooked them at 250 to 275 the entire time using some slightly green post oak. I've been spoiled by my really seasoned wood. Now I have some fresh post oak and I'm have to work a little more, but I've got the hang of it.

I wrapped when the ribs hit about 150 and sauced with Polynesian sauce and some apple cider vinegar spritz.

Finshed ribs.

I threw on some of my homemade jalapeno cheese sausage as well.

My wife liked them but she still prefers pork butt and brisket. I thought they were great. Not as sweet as I would have thought. Just right for me.

I saw a youtube video from Ballistic BBQ where he used Chick-Fil-A Polynesian sauce as a glaze. My wife loves that stuff so I figured I might have a shot at converting my wife to like ribs.

Seasoned with Kosmos Q Dirty Bird and and some Chud Rub.

Getting the Franklin fired up and ready to do work.

Ribs cooking

Picture of my thermometer where I pretend the temp stayed there the entire time. I cooked them at 250 to 275 the entire time using some slightly green post oak. I've been spoiled by my really seasoned wood. Now I have some fresh post oak and I'm have to work a little more, but I've got the hang of it.

I wrapped when the ribs hit about 150 and sauced with Polynesian sauce and some apple cider vinegar spritz.

Finshed ribs.

I threw on some of my homemade jalapeno cheese sausage as well.

My wife liked them but she still prefers pork butt and brisket. I thought they were great. Not as sweet as I would have thought. Just right for me.
What is the moisture content of your post oak? I have read different peoples opinions on this subject, some say 15-20% others state 7-10%. I have noticed that the kiln dried wood does burn faster & have had readings as low as 5%. What problems did the green post oak present & how did you overcome them.

What is the moisture content of your post oak? I have read different peoples opinions on this subject, some say 15-20% others state 7-10%. I have noticed that the kiln dried wood does burn faster & have had readings as low as 5%. What problems did the green post oak present & how did you overcome them.
I got around 20% on a moisture meter on a freshly split surface, so it's still useable but doesn't want to light as easily. I've been cooking over the last year with mostly really well seasoned pecan so I just got really spoiled. I just had to split the wood smaller and build up my coal bed. After that first hour and a half, which was just a beating, I got the hang of it for the rest of the cook. The wood was just really hard to get lit and stay lit compared to that pecan. I also had to make sure and not let my fire die out or coal bed dwindle.

I usually start with a chimney of lump to jump start the coal bed and then run wood from there on out. I think with this wood I need to start with a chimney, build a log cabin fire on top of it, let that turn to coals, and then start cooking. As this wood dries it'll get easier and easier. Oak seems to take longer to dry than pecan, but it seems to burn longer and leave better coals.

I got around 20% on a moisture meter on a freshly split surface, so it's still useable but doesn't want to light as easily. I've been cooking over the last year with mostly really well seasoned pecan so I just got really spoiled. I just had to split the wood smaller and build up my coal bed. After that first hour and a half, which was just a beating, I got the hang of it for the rest of the cook. The wood was just really hard to get lit and stay lit compared to that pecan. I also had to make sure and not let my fire die out or coal bed dwindle.

I usually start with a chimney of lump to jump start the coal bed and then run wood from there on out. I think with this wood I need to start with a chimney, build a log cabin fire on top of it, let that turn to coals, and then start cooking. As this wood dries it'll get easier and easier. Oak seems to take longer to dry than pecan, but it seems to burn longer and leave better coals.
I bought a rick of Maple last year, that I use for my fire pit. I start with maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of a chimney of charcoal, followed by about 45 minutes to an an hour of feeding it small Maple splits to build the bed of coals. When I am ready to add the meat, I then usually switch to a different wood depending on the meat. I have used 100% Maple on ribs, no regrets. I kind of like having one wood type to basically to build the coals & then switch to other woods for flavor throughout the cook.

Dustin, that looks awesome, great job. Never had ribs with Polynesian sauce but will have to get Rich to try it. In the meantime, you can always send a plate this way.:D

Thanks a lot Dustin! There you go doing another perfect cook and now the finance minister/war dept will have another project for me to deal with.
Polynesian sauce geez she was just getting over the Hawaiian thing ;).
Oh well it could be worse like those octopus kabobs....Yuch!

Back