Ribs on a 14.5?

Laura D

TVWBB Fan
Hello Everyone - I am thinking about getting a Weber Smokey Mountain 14.5. I have been searching to see if I could find any pics with people smoking ribs on it. If anyone has been smoking ribs on this little guy and could either post pictures or direct me to a thread, that would be great.

The 14.5 is a perfect size for me and where it would go in storage when I'm not using it, but I want to make sure the little guy could do a couple of racks of ribs.

Thank you -

Laura

I can't imagine any problems with the 14.5. People are turning out excellent ribs (8 half slabs) on the Minis and they're smaller.

I have a mini and smoke two racks of SL spares at a time without any trouble. The rack is made by Brinkman and can be purchased at Home Depot it's a perfect fit.here

Not an issue at all. Used two of the brinkman racks and did 4 full racks (cut in half racks)

Also can cook a turkey

Last edited:
Great, thank you all. I went and bought one today, put it together, we are ready for some seasoning/dry runs this weekend! So excited! I'll have to change my signature! ;)

Laura

Ha, I love it already! I am not being very original but I named him R2D2.

I got the Brinkmann racks today, bought two. I am going to go the Harry Soo route of seasoning, which will also be nice for dry practice runs without food. I'm mainly a griller who BBQ's occasionally on my 22.5 kettle. So nice to have the Smokey Mountain. I look forward to many cooks ahead and yes, I'll post pics!

Thanks for all your help and showing me pics of your amazing cooks. Very inspiring and I appreciate the support, inspiration and wisdom I've gotten from here.

More soon!

Laura

I wouldn't do a dry run, I would just start cooking. That way you get it seasoned and get something to eat also.

Laura, you will be amazed at what that 14.5 will do. I just did a large pork butt and went 9 1/2 hours using the minion method without adding coals with temps of 225-250.

Laura;
You have made a GOOD choice! I recently had all of my kids with their families visit for a ten day period. We had as many as 12 people here to feed at one time.

In anticipation of the gathering, I did two Boston butts on my 14.5 (at once) to have pulled pork available. I also did two small briskets (one on each grate) for pastrami. Both items were a big hit with the crowd. Doing ahead of time allowed me to visit with everyone.

I have done eight half racks of ribs (using two Brinkman rib racks). The ribs come out perfectly evenly cooked.

You can do all of the above on the Mini-Joe, too. They are both wonderful smokers!

You have a wonderful spring, summer, and fall ahead of you!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I don't have a 14.5 but I do have a mini and that lil guy really impresses me. I was able to smoke a butt for 14 hours and still had a couple of hours of fuel left. It also holds the temperature very well. Can't wait to see pics of your cooks!

How many lit coals are you guys using for minion in the 14.5? I just got one too, and two of the same rib racks!

Last edited:
David W;
I use the tin can Minion method and use ten lit coals with a full load of charcoal.

As an aside, I do ribs, Boston butt, and Pastrami (brisket) at 275 degrees. Chicken I do at 325-350. I also tried something new for me. I did Johsonville brats (raw) and smoked them at 275 degrees and they were WONDERFUL. I had always done them direct on my OTG but from now on, it'll be on one of my smokers. I use mostly apple, cherry, and lately some pecan wood with some Pear hovering in the background (have to saw them into smaller pieces).

FWIW
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Last edited:
This all great. I have used the Minion Method on my kettle with fire bricks. I will try the tin can Minion on my little WSM.

I am going to go ahead and do a quick burn off tonight on my WSM while I grill a steak next to it on my Smokey Joe. Then tomorrow I am planning on ribs for my first WSM cook! Ooooooooooo! I love it!

Laura

Back