ribs on 22 wsm

Glenn F

Is it bad to have 3 racks laid flat on each rack of the wsm? It seems like most of the pictured I've seen people use rib racks and try to fit them on just one rack. Is it bad that they would drip on the bottom one?

Though I've not done it, I believe if I cooked six racks - three flat on each grate - I would swap them top to bottom about half way thru to promote even cooking so they'd finish together. Other than that I see no reason not to use both grates.

Keep attention to cooking T difference. Almost 20/30 F difference beetwen the two.
Lower colder if water in.
Lower hotter if not water in.
This is what I tested.

I had some trouble getting 2 racks to fit on my 18.5. I wound up cutting them in half then making a sort of horseshoe with each and skewering them. I had a hard time getting them to stand. Anybody have any better suggestions?

Though I've not done it, I believe if I cooked six racks - three flat on each grate - I would swap them top to bottom about half way thru to promote even cooking so they'd finish together. Other than that I see no reason not to use both grates.

Yep I would also. But keep in mind that each rack cooks just a little different so just keep a close eye at the end and adjust as needed. It becomes easy after awhile.

I would just be little careful and try and try to leave a little bit of space between each rack when I laid them flat. You want to make sure the air can circulate.

I had some trouble getting 2 racks to fit on my 18.5. I wound up cutting them in half then making a sort of horseshoe with each and skewering them. I had a hard time getting them to stand. Anybody have any better suggestions?

Have you ever tried rolling your ribs? It's when you basically coil them up, stand it on its side and insert a skewer to keep it in that form. I think I will try this method next time as I have found the 18.5 will leave us with dry ribs at the ends or the rack if laid flat. If you cut your racks in half, and don't have a rib rack, you can always use a skewer to help it stand. After you've put your rub on the ribs, stack them on top of each other on the counter and insert a skewer at each end (and one in the middle if you're smoking whole racks) going all the way through the stack of ribs. Place the stack on its side on your smoker an separate so there's a gap between each rack on the skewer.....Bazingo, homemade rib racks!
Hope this helps,
Tim

Have you ever tried rolling your ribs? It's when you basically coil them up, stand it on its side and insert a skewer to keep it in that form. I think I will try this method next time as I have found the 18.5 will leave us with dry ribs at the ends or the rack if laid flat. If you cut your racks in half, and don't have a rib rack, you can always use a skewer to help it stand. After you've put your rub on the ribs, stack them on top of each other on the counter and insert a skewer at each end (and one in the middle if you're smoking whole racks) going all the way through the stack of ribs. Place the stack on its side on your smoker an separate so there's a gap between each rack on the skewer.....Bazingo, homemade rib racks!
Hope this helps,
Tim

I've coiled them before, it works pretty good.

Hope this helps,
Tim

Thanks Tim. That is a very good and interesting idea. I'll have to do more ribs and try that, strictly for research purposes of course.

Or, if you have some slabs that are thicker/meatier than the others, put them on top. In my WSM with a foiled empty water pan, the top grate runs about 10-15 degrees hotter.

I can get 3 racks on my 22 without a rib rack, its kinda tight but it works. Now I do have a cheapo rib rack and If I have something else going on the lower shelf then I will use it for more than 3 racks being cooked.

I always lay mine flat. I have a rib rack, just no need to use it yet. If I ever needed to do more then 6 racks at once I would use it.

When cooking spares, coiling the racks works fine and the best way do more than one rack on an 18.5. Leave them whole and coil them into the shape of an apostrophe, with the more flexible end taking the sharper bend. Set them breastbone side down and hold the shape with two skewers. Put the skewers in "high-to-low" and they will be more stable. Cook them breastbone side down for the entire cook. Rotate them if you like. Each grate will accommodate three racks comfortably. When almost done, uncoil them and sauce them on a grill for about 10 minutes, wrap them individually in foil and let them rest at least another 10. Make sure the beer is at 33 degrees F.

Back